Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!  (Read 18517 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »

Hey everybody!

Firstly, congratulations to fuzzbigfoot on being confirmed as Pacific Justice. I'm confident he'll do a wonderful job. Smiley

Secondly, I'd like to draw your attention to the Pacific Voting Booth, where we're ratifying the documents produced by the Constitutional Convention.

Of course, I'd urge all to vote in favour of these much-needed reforms, but regardless of how you vote, please do vote.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2010, 07:24:32 AM »

In a fairly minor but, I think, pretty useful move, I've added some basic information about the region to the first post of this thread. I'd suggest that other Governors do the same - it might help new people get an idea of the place. Tongue

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2010, 08:45:38 AM »

Oh, also, I made an admittedly tongue-in-cheek attack ad against Naso/Reganfan. Tongue

"Excessive Hyperbole".
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2010, 06:39:22 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2010, 06:44:36 AM by Governor Oakvale »

I'd like to extend my warmest congratulations to Fritz and Kalwejt on their stunning upset of a victory. I wasn't the only JCPer who assumed AndrewCT would sail to a landslide, so this is a surprise - even with the race getting close, I assumed Andrew would pull out a second round victory. So, impressive, guys, very impressive. Smiley

I'm confident President Fritz and Vice-President Kalwejt will continue the great work of President Purple State, one of Atlasia's best statesmen, whose reforms I was happy to sign the ratification of - a unanimous vote in favour of the Third Constitution from the Pacific, for the record. Purple State leaves a wonderful legacy, and history will view his government very favourably indeed.

So congratulations, Fritz and Kalwejt, and commiserations to Andrew and Duke - frankly, I would have been happy with either result. Atlasia had a good choice this election. Smiley

EDIT: Oh, and I'd also like to extend my preemptive congratulations to my soon-to-be gubernatorial colleague - in the Northeast, Han looks sure to be elected, and hopefully he can restore activity and life to that region. We don't necessarily agree politically, but he has my full, if irrelevant, support.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2010, 04:03:12 PM »

Egads! We've moved!

Welcome to the Regional Board everyone! It's an idea that's been kicking around for a while, but recently Governors Tmthforu, Han, PiT, Sewer and I messaged President-elect Fritz with a request for him to ask Dave to create a dedicated regional forum, and, in a great development, here we are. Smiley

I think this will make regional business a lot easier to attend to, without the clutter that we usually get in the Fantasy Elections forum.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2010, 01:26:17 AM »

We're supposed to be running for re-election pretty soon, aren't we?Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2010, 06:10:04 AM »

December, AFAIK. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »

So, uh, hey guys. Archangel and I have been discussing the possibility of an elected legislature.

*ducks rotten fruit*

No, no - hear me out - there are advantages. First and foremost, I think we all know that it would increase interest and activity - although the regional board seems to have greatly improved our activity levels - if I don't say so myself, although I also think the Pacific Justice deserves a lot of credit for stirring things up every now and again. Wink

It's important to note that our idea wouldn't replace our current, popular, assembly, which has served us well. Rather it would establish a - very! - small "upper house". In other words, a bicarmeal legislature, the first of its kind in Atlasia. Smiley

It would probably consist of there or so members, elected, of course, by popular vote. This chamber, which we've cheesily decided to call the "Council", will be in charge of introducing and approving legislation, which must then be referred to the popular assembly. Kind of like a reverse version of the US Congress. Tongue

It would also have to approve any impeachment proceedings.

Anyway, let me know what you think - we've got a rudimentary bill worked out which I'll be posting shortly, so if you've got any ideas we're more than receptive. Smiley

PS: If this passes I will have, er, expanded government, by a hilarious degree and fully expect to be defeated for re-election by some kind of right-wing challenger. Grin
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »

Here's the first draft of the bill for you to critique:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2010, 12:29:19 AM »

Please critique this bill so we may make improvements on it.  All suggestions are welcome.Smiley
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2010, 12:37:10 PM »

It looks pretty good, unsure about the term limits though, and the long length of their terms. Also for the override I think the council should need 3/3's vote in order to move on with an override as 2/3 is the simple majority needed to pass a bill in the first place.

Other than that I think this is a really good idea Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2010, 02:09:28 PM »

It looks pretty good, unsure about the term limits though, and the long length of their terms. Also for the override I think the council should need 3/3's vote in order to move on with an override as 2/3 is the simple majority needed to pass a bill in the first place.

Other than that I think this is a really good idea Smiley

Good points, which I hope can be addressed with my suggestion from the Legislature thread:

I like the bill except for the term limits, for which I don't really see the point. Also, the way Councilors are elected isn't very clear.

I thought about that myself after looking at our draft.  Maybe we could have one seat up for election say, every two months and each seat would have a six month term (after our first election, maybe two seats can volunteer for shorter terms so we can get the ball rolling)?  And use IRV for each election?

I'm hoping we can get this passed before the end of the month so we can have elections in December along with Governor and Lt. Governor.

Also, the term limits won't be permanent.  You're just out for however long you serve, then after that time period is up you can run again.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »

Just an aside, Archangel and I will be seeking re-election to a second term as Governor and Lieutenant Governor next month.

I think we've done a pretty good job at increasing the level of activity in the region, and I can point to the regional board, the Pacific Justice position, and, hopefully, a new legislature, as evidence of our commitment to the region.

The legislature has become a place of spirited debate, due in no small part to the arrival of the always-welcome Jbrase, and to the brilliant activity of the wonderful Pacific Justice, fuzzybigfoot,  and I'm optimistic that the region will continue to grown in activity in the coming months. Activity is, and will always remain, the core value of my administration. Serving as Governor has been a privelege and a great experience, and I hope you can let me continue for another term.

As for my Lieutenant Governor, ArchangelZero has been a true friend and a staunch ally these last few months. You couldn't ask for a more dedicated, innovative public servant, and he deserves every vote he can get. The Pacific will be a poorer place when he inevitably moves on to the national stage. Wink

Thank you. Smiley

- oakvale

PS: Oh, right, I forgot. Vote for me. Thanks. Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »

Hmm, I dunno, it sounds intriguing. It might be worth trying at least. We could also revert to the old style of legislature if we didn't like it.

I would prefer you scrap the term limits part though (what a surprise!! Tongue)

Grin
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2010, 04:32:10 AM »

Hmm, I dunno, it sounds intriguing. It might be worth trying at least.

The other regions have done that for us, IMO.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2010, 09:34:47 AM »

Hmm, I dunno, it sounds intriguing. It might be worth trying at least.

The other regions have done that for us, IMO.

Well true, but this is a weird kind of legislature, designed specifically with the Pacific in mind.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »

Our legislature needs a cool name, though. Supreme Council, for example. Grin
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2010, 05:48:08 AM »

Good thinking, but I feel like Supreme has been trademarked by the Southeast.Tongue
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »

Good thinking, but I feel like Supreme has been trademarked by the SoutheastImperial Dominion of the South.Tongue
No, but these have been:
Emperor
Lord of Darkness
The Cultural Revolution of Awesomeness
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2010, 01:45:25 AM »

I made a few edits, what do you all think?

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:15 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2010, 02:29:08 AM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

I like these changes.  However, I believe we should try to decide whether all Councilors will be elected at once or if we're going to have one seat open every two months.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »

I like these changes.  However, I believe we should try to decide whether all Councilors will be elected at once or if we're going to have one seat open every two months.

A 100% majority to override the governor's veto?  This really gives the executive branch way too much power.

No offense to the executive branch.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »

I like these changes.  However, I believe we should try to decide whether all Councilors will be elected at once or if we're going to have one seat open every two months.

A 100% majority to override the governor's veto?  This really gives the executive branch way too much power.

No offense to the executive branch.

Bwahahahahaha!

But yeah, that seems a little strange. The rest of Jbrase's changes are fairly reasonable, though.

So, what does everyone think of Archangel's proposal that Senators be elected seperately, every two months? It might liven things up a bit.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2010, 01:11:30 AM »

Well since the Council only needs 2 votes to pass something doesn't it seem weird to only require 2 votes to override a veto?

And the only problem I have with having the councilor seats elected at separate times is that it would be too easy for one group, the extreme far-left wing of the JCP,  to win every seat. But if they were all at once then it would give the more moderate people a chance. The likely results would be a healthy mixture of opinions. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2010, 10:09:34 AM »

I would like to add that I believe the Mideast did the same thing back when we only had 3 Assembly seats. It seemed to work pretty well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies