Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:25:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!  (Read 18726 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« on: July 31, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »

I'm temporarily leaving you fine people for a week or so. Tongue

In my absence, ArchangelZero will be Acting Governor, and I'm confident you'll all give him your support. He'll do a fine job.

Just thought I should formally announce it here, too.

You couldn't have warned me earlier?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »

Please refer all questions, issues, and campaign business to my office for the time being:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=121349.msg2597164#new
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »

Yay, he's back, and I'm done.Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »

So, what's in the news?

The Pacific gubernatorial debate between Xahar and I is underway, and it's sure to be good, so take a look! Smiley

In other news, I've got two interviews, in The Voice of Kalwejt and The Porcupine, where I talk about my plans for the Pacific.

So, yeah, check them out.

Actually, I've read my opponent Xahar's interview in The Porcupine and he makes an interesting point:

If by some sort of warp in the space-time continuum I were elected, I would try to replace the Legislature with a real elective Legislature.

[...]

Elections to a small legislature would allow new Pacificans to get involved in the process and also give lawmaking to a representative sample of the people, rather than whoever is involved enough to vote or reliable enough to be PMed to vote.

I actually think this is a good idea.

I've been considering proposing some kind of elected legislature for the Pacific - I've dorkily been calling it a "Pacific Council", but something less Star Trek would be nice - albeit I was considering a bicameral system, with the popular legislature still existing, as opposed to out and out replacing it.

Still, I think this is, broadly, something me and Xahar agree upon. A small, influential "upper house" would increase activity and engagement amongst Pacific citizens, and, if elected, I'll introduce a bill to create such.

It's a grand idea and Pacific Council isn't that Star Trek-y.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2010, 08:53:16 PM by Pacific Lt. Gov The Doctor »

As Lt. Governor I am willing to do whatever you want to give me.  So yes, please make my position relevant before making a new one.Wink

Also, I'd be willing to do both jobs as maintaining the Wiki isn't something that needs to be done as much as reviewing laws, and I'd like to feel useful until I end up in another position (I was thinking about running for Senate) or I get defeated in an election.

It just feels like I'm not doing enough for the region, and I'd be happy to have more on my plate.Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »

Boo, you didn't merge the positions.Tongue

Nevertheless, I still support the initiative.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:26:17 AM »

We're supposed to be running for re-election pretty soon, aren't we?Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:29:19 AM »

Please critique this bill so we may make improvements on it.  All suggestions are welcome.Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 02:09:28 PM »

It looks pretty good, unsure about the term limits though, and the long length of their terms. Also for the override I think the council should need 3/3's vote in order to move on with an override as 2/3 is the simple majority needed to pass a bill in the first place.

Other than that I think this is a really good idea Smiley

Good points, which I hope can be addressed with my suggestion from the Legislature thread:

I like the bill except for the term limits, for which I don't really see the point. Also, the way Councilors are elected isn't very clear.

I thought about that myself after looking at our draft.  Maybe we could have one seat up for election say, every two months and each seat would have a six month term (after our first election, maybe two seats can volunteer for shorter terms so we can get the ball rolling)?  And use IRV for each election?

I'm hoping we can get this passed before the end of the month so we can have elections in December along with Governor and Lt. Governor.

Also, the term limits won't be permanent.  You're just out for however long you serve, then after that time period is up you can run again.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:34:47 AM »

Hmm, I dunno, it sounds intriguing. It might be worth trying at least.

The other regions have done that for us, IMO.

Well true, but this is a weird kind of legislature, designed specifically with the Pacific in mind.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 05:48:08 AM »

Our legislature needs a cool name, though. Supreme Council, for example. Grin

Good thinking, but I feel like Supreme has been trademarked by the Southeast.Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:15 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2010, 02:29:08 AM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

I made a few edits, what do you all think?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like these changes.  However, I believe we should try to decide whether all Councilors will be elected at once or if we're going to have one seat open every two months.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies