Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:49:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice  (Read 9411 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2010, 09:21:38 PM »

Please, Lunar, start a movement to get Obama to kill the Kagan appointment.  We Republicans would like nothing more than so-called "progressives" fighting so-called "progressives" over whether Obama's Supreme Court nominee is so-called "progressive" enough, creating a wedge among "progressives" and ensuring lower Democratic turnout in the mid-terms. 

No use.  I'm pretty much resigned to whining about it here.

Progressives don't have the guts to stand up to our president over this sort of thing, we're not like conservatives.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »

Could someone make a list of Kagan's right wing tendencies, at least when it comes to jurisprudence?  I mean, she does not have that much of a paper trail, and some stuff of not much import perhaps to the contrary, so I would be interested as to the source of all of this "progressive" angst. Thanks!

I've linked to a lot of it, but if you cycle through Greenwald's blog on Salon, I think he captures 80% of the angst. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »

Could someone make a list of Kagan's right wing tendencies, at least when it comes to jurisprudence?  I mean, she does not have that much of a paper trail, and some stuff of not much import perhaps to the contrary, so I would be interested as to the source of all of this "progressive" angst. Thanks!

I've linked to a lot of it, but if you cycle through Greenwald's blog on Salon, I think he captures 80% of the angst. 

Perhaps this is the link to which Lunar referred for those who don't want to do a hunt for it. No, I have not read it yet.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »

aye, a google search for "greenwald" results that as the difficult to find #1 result. Smiley

His initial,  pre-Kagan selection essay is here:
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/04/13/kagan
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »

On 2, yeah, she really hated alfonse d’amato and worked in Democratic administrations, hardly proof that she shares the progressive viewpoint on Constitutional interpretation of the law.

Heck, I hate D'Amato.  What's so wrong with that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This reminds of someone else.  Can't put my name on it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2010, 10:14:07 PM »

If I really cared about her "ideology" (and I don't), the most troubling part of her record is her views on free speech, one of the few areas of the law where there are actually some writings by her.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2010, 10:41:19 PM »

If I really cared about her "ideology" (and I don't), the most troubling part of her record is her views on free speech, one of the few areas of the law where there are actually some writings by her.

Let me guess - Sunstein-influenced Internet-bad, government-knows-best paternalism?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2010, 10:41:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Might it be a chap whose voting residence is about 3 blocks from the precinct I once voted in?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2010, 10:46:21 PM »

Wait... Obama nominated a conservative to replace a liberal in the Sureme court ?!? Shocked

WHAT... THE... F-CK ?

This is the guy that you liked so much.

It gets worse.  Obama's commercial for Specter starts running tomorrow.  Wink
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »

If you hate paternalism why are you a republican?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »

You have that backwards.  Those who think government is the solution are usually Democrats.  Those who think government is the problem are usually Republicans.  Government knows best is the mantra of so-called "progressives", not conservatives.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2010, 12:58:06 AM »

Another thing that is depressing about Obama's choice of Kagan over Wood is the fact that it represents the triumph of cowardice over courage.

Wood, Sunstein, Koh and Liu have taken positions on most controversial matters and weren't afraid to talk about them, even when they were unpopular. Thus they are considered uncomfirmable.

But Kagan, perhaps driven by ambition or perhaps by cowardice, carefully avoided to make her opinions known, even among her closest friends. And so she is rewarded with an appointment at the Supreme Court. What's wrong with this picture?    
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2010, 01:38:16 AM »

Wait... Obama nominated a conservative to replace a liberal in the Sureme court ?!? Shocked

WHAT... THE... F-CK ?

She's hardly a conservative.

Maybe, but still a depressing choice...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2010, 01:58:31 AM »

WHAT... THE... F-CK ?

It was already clear that Obama is a useless moderate hero. What a waste. We could have had someone center-left elected in 2008, but we wasted it on this Goldman Sacs fan-boy.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2010, 02:21:36 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2010, 02:53:32 AM by Ogre Mage »

Some positives of the Kagan nomination --

*She's 50 and concerns about her weight and smoking habits aside, could become a progressive force over the long term once she accrues experience and seniority.  There is a good chance she will have a very long tenure.  Even Justice Stevens didn't become the figure we currently see him as until the second half of his tenure.  It takes a long time to develop that gravitas on the Court.  And while she may not be as progressive as I would like, I would bet money she's not going to turn into a reverse Souter.  Obama is calculating that she is the strongest bet long-term, although in the short term she is likely to struggle.  

*While she has not been successful in persuading the Justices as SG, my understanding is that she has good relations with them, even those she disagrees with (Scalia).  They already have a certain comfort level with her.  She's going to be working with these folks a long time and already having good established relations with the Justices gives her a leg up.  And she's had a year to watch them and try to figure out how they tick.  So she has a good base upon which to build her influence.  Once she gets past the learning curve phase, this could be important.

*The Obama administration is trying to make political hay out of the Citizens United case and since she argued the position which the majority of the public supports, she is the most logical avatar.  

As for the criticisms of Kagan, they have been aired out pretty thoroughly and I agree with a large portion of it.  She wasn't my first choice.  From a political standpoint, she is not a pick which will cause a revolt from the base.  But there will be little excitement over her selection.  It's hard to get excited about a blank slate.  She is an establishment Democrat who has carefully kept her views hidden.  Why should we be reassured about someone who remains almost completely unknown?

In terms of how the Constitution and the Supreme Court is framed intellectually, the President has ceded the field to the Right.  He could have picked a judge with a clear progressive track record who is hugely respected throughout the federal judiciary for her intellect and writing ability, who is a skillful proponent of a dynamic Constitution and who, like Kagan, would also have added gender diversity to the Court.  This is disappointing and an opportunity lost.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2010, 04:08:37 AM »

I think people just hate to see a great man go, only to be replaced by an unknown..  and one who is unlikely to be as left-leaning as he was.

The truth is that among female justices, only Ginsburg was any good, but it is also generally true that people tend to move left on the Court rather than right, so this Kagan might not be all bad.  Once she stops having to worry about popular opinion and politicians and so forth, she may do the 'right' thing.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2010, 09:10:27 AM »

The articles today make it seem like it's going to be an uphill battle.......we'll see.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »

The articles today make it seem like it's going to be an uphill battle.......we'll see.

From Mike Allen to my email inbox today:

Good Tuesday morning. PLAYBOOK FORECAST: Elena Kagan will be confirmed with 65 votes -- 3 fewer than Justice Sotomayor, and 4 more than Kagan got for solicitor general last year. Here's the math, from someone smarter than us (we welcome your quibbles/rebuttals): For solicitor general, Kagan got 61 ayes and 31 nays. Safe to assume if you were one of the 31 Republicans voting nay then, you can't vote aye this time? Probably. Of the 61 ayes, seven were Republicans: Collins, Snowe, Gregg, Hatch, Kyl, Lugar and Coburn. After conservatives flexed their muscles in Utah last weekend (the Bennett effect), it's hard to see Coburn, Hatch or Kyl voting for her this time. So that would theoretically put her at 58. But Specter voted no, and could now be expected to vote yes. So that's 59. Four Democrats missed the vote. Of these, Boxer, Klobuchar, and Murray would be yes votes. So that's 62. The fourth missing Democrat was Kennedy. His successor, Brown, might be gettable. (Is the Massachusetts senator really going to vote against the Harvard Law dean?) So that'd be 63. And Franken was not seated yet last time, but would be a yes now. So 64. Three Republicans did not vote: Cochran, Ensign and Graham. Of these, Graham is gettable, but it would be tough to envision either of the other two Republicans voting for her. So that puts her at 65. That's with every Democrat (including Ben Nelson) voting yes, as well as the two Maine-iacs, Scott Brown, Judd Gregg, Lugar and Graham. Roll call on Kagan for solicitor general

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2010, 09:30:46 AM »

Well the media won't question Obama, so no worries there.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »

I think people just hate to see a great man go, only to be replaced by an unknown..  and one who is unlikely to be as left-leaning as he was.

The truth is that among female justices, only Ginsburg was any good, but it is also generally true that people tend to move left on the Court rather than right, so this Kagan might not be all bad.  Once she stops having to worry about popular opinion and politicians and so forth, she may do the 'right' thing.

True and despite progressive concerns about Sotomayor she turned out pretty decent too.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2010, 11:39:48 AM »

Could someone make a list of Kagan's right wing tendencies, at least when it comes to jurisprudence?  I mean, she does not have that much of a paper trail, and some stuff of not much import perhaps to the contrary, so I would be interested as to the source of all of this "progressive" angst. Thanks!

I think people just hate to see a great man go, only to be replaced by an unknown..  and one who is unlikely to be as left-leaning as he was.

The truth is that among female justices, only Ginsburg was any good, but it is also generally true that people tend to move left on the Court rather than right, so this Kagan might not be all bad.  Once she stops having to worry about popular opinion and politicians and so forth, she may do the 'right' thing.

True and despite progressive concerns about Sotomayor she turned out pretty decent too.

There weren't any particular progressive concerns about Sotomayor. She was a well-known quantity with a clear record and a lot of people ready to vouch for her liberal credentials.

Kagan on the other hand has nothing to show but the assurances of her pals from academia and the Democratic party. Even Sheldon Whitehouse said that he hopes to learn some things about her judicial philosophy during the confirmation hearings.  
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2010, 11:40:40 AM »

WHAT... THE... F-CK ?

It was already clear that Obama is a useless moderate hero. What a waste. We could have had someone center-left elected in 2008, but we wasted it on this Goldman Sacs fan-boy.

Obama was one of the most liberal Senators, and IMO he tsill has reasonably progressive views. the real problem is that he is continuously trying to reach a compromise with republicans, and has still  not understood that they were just interested in uselessly ruining all his initiatives. Untill he will try to convince nutjobs that he is right instead of kicking them in the ass, he will fail everything he does.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »

Ever here Byron White?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »

Here is an interesting analysis about Kagan and her career and why the best adjective to describe her choice is "depressing"Sad
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/05/the-purity-of-her-careerism.html

And a hilarious footnote:
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/05/the-wisdom-of-age.html
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »

Well the media won't question Obama, so no worries there.

Then you don't watch. Anything. After watching Countdown and Maddow last night I got plenty of anti-Kagan opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies