Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:18:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice  (Read 9424 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 09, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »

Another fail from Obama. Maybe when the Republicans gain 6 Senate seats, he'll appoint Robert Bork.

Please. It's bad that he picks judges based on qualities other than ideology? Get real.

And Wood was a potential pick based on ideology and not qualifications? Please. Kagan is a moderate hero pick for the sake of a moderate hero pick and I fail to see how that's any better than what you're (incorrectly) complaining about.

I was pointing out jfern's stupidity in expecting Obama to pick a liberal. Besides, it makes sense he'd pick Kagan, we need more justices who weren't career judges prior to their appointment.

And didn't he personally know Kagan or something? Expecting another Stevens is stupid and not how our judicial nomination process should work.

What's unreasonable about expecting someone sort of liberal when there are only 41 Republican Senators and to replace the most liberal member of the court. I really would hate to see who Obama has in mind for some later replacements. Obama needs to give the liberals a reason to show up in November. He hasn't.

You're acting like Kagan isn't closer to where Obama actually is, which I'm pretty sure is the case.  Why should Obama pander rather than select a Justice that's roughly the same disposition he is?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »

Huh

Are you referring to the President as a "dumbass?"  Or to Ms. (Mrs?) Kagan?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »

Wow - just read through a couple of appellate briefs that she's put forth as Solicitor General.

They suck.

Please enlighten us.  That's a legitimate criticism, unlike jfern's Roll Eyes.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »

Self loathing liberals.

She's a solid progressive on social issues. That's all that matters really. She'll be a solid liberal on the court.

I'd have preferred Wood but lets not pretend that their voting records would be substantially different.

Kagan is deferential to executive power.  Wood isn't.

Kagan has a remarkably blank record.  With Wood, we know what we're getting.

Sad

Oh, my.  The President wants a Court that's deferential to executive power!  Who would've thought it? 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies