Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:51:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Nominates Elena Kagan to be Next Supreme Court Justice  (Read 9441 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 10, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »

Obama picks Elena Kagan as Supreme Court nominee

By Robert Barnes and Anne E. Kornblut
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 9, 2010; 11:05 PM

In replacing Justice John Paul Stevens, Obama would also be breaking with tradition. Every other member of the court is a former federal appeals court judge, and Kagan has never served in the judiciary. The last time a non-judge was appointed was 1972, when President Richard M. Nixon nominated William H. Rehnquist and Lewis Powell in the same year.

If anything, appointing someone who is not a former federal appeals court judge is a well needed restoration of tradition, not a break with it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »

Since my sig is temporarily being used for other purposes, let me bring this political cartoon to your attention here.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »

The articles today make it seem like it's going to be an uphill battle.......we'll see.

From Mike Allen to my email inbox today:

Three Republicans did not vote: Cochran, Ensign and Graham. Of these, Graham is gettable, but it would be tough to envision either of the other two Republicans voting for her.

A lot will depend on what happens in the June 8th primary here.  If Gowdy upends Inglis in SC-4, Graham may feel like he needs to cast a symbolic vote against Kagan, and you can bet that Graham certainly won't agree to being the lone Republican to break a filibuster no matter what happens in the primary.

That said, I'm doubtful that the GOP will attempt a filibuster of her unless they can get bipartisan support for a filibuster.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies