Poizner/Whitman in race to become unelectable
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:07:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Poizner/Whitman in race to become unelectable
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Poizner/Whitman in race to become unelectable  (Read 3317 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »
« edited: May 11, 2010, 01:21:07 PM by Lunar »

Watch these ads:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0510/Poizner_attacks_from_right_on_immigration.html

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0510/Name_calling_in_CA.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGVMY-wZ3JQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevepoizner#p/u/11/TGVMY-wZ3JQ
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »

Ah, so they're doing exactly what Angelides and Westley did to each other. Nice!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »

What? It's been obvious for a year that Jerry Brown is the next Governor of California.
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »

Whitman is on video praising Van Jones. I found that funny.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »

I am blown away by the dynamics in this race.  I go to Orange County political events and can't believe my ears anymore.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2010, 08:59:58 PM by Lunar »

I am blown away by the dynamics in this race.  I go to Orange County political events and can't believe my ears anymore.

I'm highly interested in hearing your perspective if you wouldn't mind elaborating

The CA GOP, of course, is both highly excitable and amazingly out of touch with the general electorate, even compared to states like Rhode Island ad Vermont.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2010, 09:15:55 PM by Lunar »

What's funny about this is that there's a SERIOUS advantage, in this race, to win the primary as the "less conservative" of the two candidates, in the perspective of the two candidates.  If the media 100% bought that Whitman or Poizner, whoever wins, was the more moderate of the two candidates, that would be a huge advantage going into November, and the inverse is true for the primary winner.

Of course, as is the case all the time, elections are held one at a time.  And, there's a certain career advantage for a candidate to be a general election candidate in a major statewide race, even if he or she is doomed to fail.  

I think it's really funny that both candidates in this race are accusing the other of being [paraphrasing] "the next Arnold," when Arnold only really won because of his moderate, pragmatic credentials. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »

What's funny about this is that there's a SERIOUS advantage, in this race, to win the primary as the "less conservative" of the two candidates, in the perspective of the two candidates.  If the media 100% bought that Whitman or Poizner, whoever wins, was the more moderate of the two candidates, that would be a huge advantage going into November, and the inverse is true for the primary winner.

Of course, as is the case all the time, elections are held one at a time.  And, there's a certain career advantage for a candidate to be a general election candidate in a major statewide race, even if he or she is doomed to fail.  

I think it's really funny that both candidates in this race are accusing the other of being [paraphrasing] "the next Arnold," when Arnold only really won because of his moderate, pragmatic credentials.  

Well, these two lunatics make Arnold look like a moderate. I'll give you that.
Anyways, I hate Whitman so much that I hope she loses in the primary even though the Republican nominee is looking pretty toast.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »

Whitman is hurting herself by trying to be so aggressive.  She should chill out a bit.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »

Didn't Bill Simon try a similar strategy to Whitman?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »

I am blown away by the dynamics in this race.  I go to Orange County political events and can't believe my ears anymore.

I'm highly interested in hearing your perspective if you wouldn't mind elaborating

The CA GOP, of course, is both highly excitable and amazingly out of touch with the general electorate, even compared to states like Rhode Island ad Vermont.
[/quote]

Well, I'm sure my perspective will quickly sound familiar to you.

Basically, I run into a lot of conservatives who are convinced that a true conservative can win a statewide race here.  I do not agree with their assessment.  The only way a true conservative could win is to have the Democrat suffer from a terrible scandal that destroys their candidacy.  Barring that, only a moderate can win.

In many past races, the right wing of the party has shot down moderate candidates in the primary and given away our chances in the general election in the process.

But this is worse because the absolutism of the hard right has become even stronger this year.  It is impossible to persuade these people that Chuck DeVore can’t be elected to statewide office in California.  I find this kind of irrationality frustrating to deal with.

Even worse, we have two formerly electable candidates for Governor who have made a conscious choice to make themselves unelectable.  And most of my friends in politics are eating it up.  I don’t even know what to do any more.  We are giving away the Governor’s race for nothing and instead of trying to fix the problem, my friends are celebrating suicide as if it were a brilliant strategic gambit.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:08:24 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ0QLl7gSjs&NR=1

Poizner never heard of prop 187? Lol. I hope he's in that car when it falls off the cliff on election night.
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »

Poizner is supposed to be a serious candidate?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »

Poizner is supposed to be a serious candidate?

Doesn't he have like a $19 million dollar warchest or something?  (someone give me the exact, huge number)

I mean, it's not Meg's $60m warchest whatevsky, but Poizner has enough money to make himself heard. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »

I'm definitely rooting against the lunatic who wants 500,000 new H-1B visas every year.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 06:14:22 AM »

I'm definitely rooting against the lunatic who wants 500,000 new H-1B visas every year.

Do you have to say that ten thousand times?
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 06:42:24 AM »

However, each candidate accuses the other of being too liberal.  That might not hurt them too much in the general election.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 11:26:08 AM »

However, each candidate accuses the other of being too liberal.  That might not hurt them too much in the general election.

The point is that they're racing to the right.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 05:51:03 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2010, 05:54:45 PM by Governor Morgan Brykein »

I find it funny how they're attacking eachother by throwing the L word around.  I'm not voting for either of them, or Jerry Brown.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 06:11:31 PM »

I find it funny how they're attacking eachother by throwing the L word around.  I'm not voting for either of them, or Jerry Brown.

Who are you voting for?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »

What's with you and H-1Bs? They're sort of the reason I'm here.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2010, 08:42:29 PM by Lunar »

What's with you and H-1Bs? They're sort of the reason I'm here.

He's said it like a million times.   He and I lived in connected apartment arrangements in Berkeley, I think he's personally affected by the H-1B situation (I drove around in a giant refrigerator truck delivering dairy products to jfern's apartment for an entire semester),  being a math student and all.  

It's a tiny bit tiresome when it's constantly repeated without and flesh being the remark.

I really, really, really doubt that any drop of Whitman's support has anything to do with H-1B's, so this focus is rather silly.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »

Well, I mean, I know why he doesn't like them, but he repeats it so much that there would have to be something more than just dislike. If he's personally affected, that would make sense.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »

Do you have to say that ten thousand times?

Supporting 500,000 new H-1Bs per year in this Great Recession is pretty much saying that you have zero regard for American workers. There are zillions of qualified unemployed and underemployed Americans who are passed over for sh**tty H-1Bs who can be paid less.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2010, 08:48:19 PM by Lunar »

Yo, what are your personal interactions with this?  You're obsessed with H-1B's, by an order of magnitude more than even people who have strong feelings about them (who occupy probs <1% of the electorate).

I may not be the best worker advocate ever, but I don't feel like I'm entirely unsympathetic to the cause, but I just don't get the obsession abut this.

Well, I mean, I know why he doesn't like them, but he repeats it so much that there would have to be something more than just dislike. If he's personally affected, that would make sense.

That's my best guess, aye.  I feel like Indian migrants are his direct career competition, far moreso than Carolyn Maloney #newyorkreferences.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies