Let the great boundary rejig commence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Let the great boundary rejig commence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41
Author Topic: Let the great boundary rejig commence  (Read 186459 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: January 18, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »

It would make things slightly better* as it wouldn't split that area up, yeah. And slightly better is slightly better, you know?

*Also from a *cough* partisan point of view as it would increase our chances of winning the monster, but let's pretend I didn't write that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #751 on: January 20, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »

I am disappointed in all of you.

Nobody noticed the obvious issue with my proposal! That "Llantrisant" thing, as proposed here, is barely-too-effing-small! (As is, as I noticed fairly late, the most obvious alternative solution for the Rhondda, ie adding Tonyrefail and the parts of RCT currently in Ogmore, staying out of Llantrisant.)

But the Commission's staff did.

"Thank you for your email and the considerable amount of work that has obviously gone into creating you proposal for Wales. Unfortunately, the Commission will not be able to consider your full proposal as your proposed 'Llantrisant - 72,727 electors' constituency falls below the statutory electoral quota of 72,810.

The closing date for the representation period is 4 April so if you wish to re-submit your representation with a proposal within the statutory range we would be happy to receive it.

Your alternative proposals for the Vale of Glamorgan, Cardiff, Caerphilly and Pontypridd do meet the statutory range and will be considered in full by the Commission. For your information, indicative figures suggest that Whitchurch has approximately 11,000 electors and Tongwynlais has 1,500 electors. Precise figures can be obtained from Cardiff City Council on request."

joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #752 on: January 20, 2012, 02:49:17 PM »

And I sort of like the Glyndwr name. If Britain is to start having constituencies named after people like Quebec or Australia, Owain Glyndwr and Shane Crosagh O'Mullan are just the kind of people I want constituencies named after. Evil

I think they're the only ones so far, but I'd definitely approve of Epping Forest being renamed Turpin:D
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #753 on: January 21, 2012, 05:14:41 AM »

Did they actually hint at the best fix for my constituency on purpose in that email? Looking the map over, Tongwynlais is exactly what needs to go into Llantrisant.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #754 on: January 21, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »

And I sort of like the Glyndwr name. If Britain is to start having constituencies named after people like Quebec or Australia, Owain Glyndwr and Shane Crosagh O'Mullan are just the kind of people I want constituencies named after. Evil

I think they're the only ones so far, but I'd definitely approve of Epping Forest being renamed Turpin:D

I maintain that any constituency including Wem should be called Hazlitt.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #755 on: January 21, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »

are the constituencies in Australia named after local notables as a rule?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #756 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »

are the constituencies in Australia named after local notables as a rule?

Not always that local, but, kind of.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #757 on: February 08, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »

The Northern Ireland Commission is the first to have published the submissions it received:
http://www.boundarycommission.org.uk/index/current-review/submissions.htm

The DUP and the SDLP both rant quite a bit, the latter mostly about the process (including things which are surely not the Commission's fault but the Government's) and the former more about the boundaries, although oddly they don't seem to suggest any very substantial changes.  The SDLP don't even have a proper counterproposal: they have a map showing a possible four-seat Belfast (no great surprise that they would prefer that idea) but as far as I can tell they don't fit it in to an NI-wide scheme.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #758 on: February 09, 2012, 06:19:02 AM »

While the Alliance shows it is the party of non-Republicans without leave of their wits:

"While having significant reservations about the rules which the Commission is obliged to
follow under the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011, Alliance is
broadly content with the Commission's Provisional Proposals. In particular, the decision to
reduce Belfast to three seats and the three western counties to four seats are appropriate
ways of reducing the total from 18 to 16 seats." Exactly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #759 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:57 AM »

Several proposals to split South and Mid Antrim on an east-west basis instead, which may indeed be sensible. And yeah, N Antrim needs to get Coleraine into the name. Definitely.

Also, this is a submission? Srsly?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #760 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »

I think those commissions are writing to various organisations, to inform them of the process.

Obviously, they don't hav much to say on that subject, but they were polite and answered.

And Boundary Commission published all things they received.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #761 on: February 09, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »

While the Alliance shows it is the party of non-Republicans without leave of their wits:

"While having significant reservations about the rules which the Commission is obliged to
follow under the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011, Alliance is
broadly content with the Commission's Provisional Proposals. In particular, the decision to
reduce Belfast to three seats and the three western counties to four seats are appropriate
ways of reducing the total from 18 to 16 seats." Exactly.

A cynic might point out that:

a) adding large chunks of currently SDLP-voting but potentially tactical Alliance supporters from the south Belfast suburbs to East Belfast suits Alliance perfectly, and
b) that other than the more salubrious parts of Coleraine/Portrush/Portstewart, Alliance has negligible support in the said three western counties.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #762 on: February 10, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »

Well, true enough and I have thought of the first point myself. It's part of the reason why DUP are angry. That and Glenshane being hardly a safe unionist seat. (Wait, Alliance has any support west of the Lough?)
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #763 on: February 10, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »

Well, true enough and I have thought of the first point myself. It's part of the reason why DUP are angry. That and Glenshane being hardly a safe unionist seat. (Wait, Alliance has any support west of the Lough?)

Strictly speaking, Portstewart, Portrush and most of Coleraine town are east of the river.

As for Glenshane, once you take out Coleraine and its surrounds, it's nigh impossible to draw a Unionist-majority seat in Co. Derry. Similarly, the only way to make FST winnable for Unionism would be to extend it into the north Armagh countryside (though not as far north as the lough shore). And a seat stretching from Belleek to Tandragee would fatally stretch credulity.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #764 on: February 10, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »

Well duh. But tell that to the DUP.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #765 on: February 11, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »

Or the TUV for that matter.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #766 on: February 11, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »

Oooh, and the mayor of Ballymoney:

"There is an elephant in the room which I am not allowed to mention, about the makeup of Glenshane and the North Antrim constituency, but everything else was said." North Antrim being a red herring here, of course.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #767 on: February 11, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »

"There is an elephant in the room which I am not allowed to mention, about the makeup of Glenshane and the North Antrim constituency, but everything else was said." North Antrim being a red herring here, of course.

That elephnt being the unionist/nationalist balance?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #768 on: February 11, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »

Quite. The elephant being the effective net elimination of two unionist seats (counting the old Belfast S and the new Belfast SE as neutral/undependable but the old Belfast E as dependably unionist despite the shock 2010 result).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #769 on: February 11, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »

Of course, if you keep Antrim N and Derry E much as they are (the latter still has to expand south and take some Catholics, of course), you need to draw some bizarre Fermanagh & Mid Armagh monster, as well as strange things in Belfast (either some seat that covers areas northwest and areas southwest of the city, or, probably, five seats expanding radially from the city.)
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #770 on: February 11, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2012, 06:27:04 PM by ObserverIE »

Quite. The elephant being the effective net elimination of two unionist seats (counting the old Belfast S and the new Belfast SE as neutral/undependable but the old Belfast E as dependably unionist despite the shock 2010 result).

It's clear from Assembly election results that South Belfast is really no longer a unionist seat and would have become even greener over time because of demographics. North Belfast and Fermanagh/South Tyrone are trending away as well but not to the same degree.

You're seeing one nationalist seat (Mid Ulster) and one gradually transitioning seat (South Belfast) disappear, with the ripples flipping East Derry/Londonderry. Each side being one down is fair enough in my opinion (though obviously not in Jim Allister's).
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #771 on: February 12, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

On Thursday, I'll be going to the Liberty Stadium in Swansea (as a representative of my aunt and grandparents in law) to query about the carving up of Montgomeryshire into Gwynedd, Glyndwr and Powys South. Is anyone else coming along (as it would be nice to put faces to forum names)?
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #772 on: February 17, 2012, 06:35:37 AM »

Any reports, Harry?
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #773 on: February 17, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »

On Thursday, I'll be going to the Liberty Stadium in Swansea (as a representative of my aunt and grandparents in law) to query about the carving up of Montgomeryshire into Gwynedd, Glyndwr and Powys South. Is anyone else coming along (as it would be nice to put faces to forum names)?
I know it a shame to abolish such a historic constituency (though only at Westminster level), but I do feel that with regards to Gwynedd the W.B.C have made the right decision as Machynlleth does seem more like Meirionydd in both geography and community, as does everywhere west of Mallwyd in the humble opinion, once past the Brigands Inn you feel like you are in Snowdonia.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #774 on: February 17, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »

I know it a shame to abolish such a historic constituency (though only at Westminster level), but I do feel that with regards to Gwynedd the W.B.C have made the right decision as Machynlleth does seem more like Meirionydd in both geography and community, as does everywhere west of Mallwyd in the humble opinion, once past the Brigands Inn you feel like you are in Snowdonia.

It's funny that you should mention Machynlleth being placed in Gwynedd because that was the mainstay of my evidence (as my aunt is worried that this might be the thin end of a wedge towards local government reorganisation, and as she has a sister that suffers from depression, the last thing they need is change). As for the actual meeting, the busy day was the day before (and I was the last speaker of the whole thing!), I got asked a couple of questions from Welsh Conservative and Labour about community affliations (saying that I was working on pure electoral maths like the Commission) but later found out that the Conservatives wanted to alter Ceredigion by taking out Maenclochog ward (which should be given to South and West Pembrokeshire) and replacing it with Llangelar ward from Caerfyrddin
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies