Let the great boundary rejig commence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:36:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Let the great boundary rejig commence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 41
Author Topic: Let the great boundary rejig commence  (Read 186330 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »

3,002 (7.3). Which turns into a small Labour lead if you swap Acocks Green for Shard End. And anything coming in from Bordesley Green would be extremely bad for him, though hard to calculate.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2010, 01:24:37 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2010, 01:34:11 PM by the sweetness of chai and the palliative effects of facts »

Hereford & South Herefordshire 72,245
unchanged. Horribly redundant name, though. I can see why they changed it from "Hereford", but given what they did to "Leominster" why didn't they just go with "South Herefordshire"? I didn't transfer enough of Worcs into the other seat to have any leeway to change this one.
North Herefordshire 73,647
gains the Tenbury, Teme Valley, and Lindridge wards from Worcestershire West - an area similar to (but somewhat smaller than) the one it included until 2010. 9% of the district is in Worcs, but I'm not going to call it N Herefordshire & Tenbury.
Worcester 72,965
Wyre Forest 76,774
Bromsgrove 73,430
all of these are constituencies that are not only of legal population already but also coterminous with districts of the same name. Which makes changes hard to envisage unless it really messed up the figures elsewhere.
Worcestershire West 74,392
Loses Tenbury, Teme Valley, Lindridge; gains Hartlebury, Ombersley, Drakes Broughton, Norton & Whittington in a strip north and south of Worcester.
Worcestershire East 72,952
This was always somewhat misnamed as Worcestershire Mid - it includes the southeast corner for god's sake - and getting more so with my changes. Loses the four wards listed just above, gains Inkberrow and the Redditch district ward of Astwood Bank & Feckenham.

If I wanted to neither split Redditch nor wholly redraw rural Worcestershire nor have more than one constituency cross into Warwickshire, I had no choice but to draw these districts somewhat undersized, which forced large and sometimes somewhat unfortunate districts in Warwickshire. Broadly it's a return to the pre 2010 map, including the oddball Rugby & Kenilworth pairing.

Redditch 79,087
Loses the more rural wards in Worcestershire, but gains a larger rural territory in Warwickshire instead: Tanworth, Studley, Sambourne, Alcester, Kinwarton, and Bidford & Salford wards. 73% of the seat are in Worcestershire.
Stratford on Avon 74,711
Remainder of district, Leam Valley ward in Rugby
Warwick & Leamington 78,037
Regains all the Warwick district wards it lost in 2010 (but not the bit of Stratford district that it used to include as well): Lapworth, Leek Wootton, Cubbington, Radford Semele (however you pronounce that)
North Warwickshire 77,541
Regains the Arley & Whitacre and Hartshill wards, and thus exactly as in 97-10.
Nuneaton 77,378
Loses these, gains Bulkington, Wolvey, Fosse, Avon & Swift, and even Earl Craven & Wolston wards from Rugby
Rugby & Kenilworth 78,657
The motheaten ugly remainders of Rugby and Warwick districts.

The one alternative I could try is pairing Kenilworth with Stratford, tossing a lot rural country southeast of Warwick into the Rugby seat (and a bit into the Warwick seat too.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »

Bear with me. The "least hassle, keep 10 out of 12 seats (or I guess nine out of 12) perfectly in character, abolish a seat in the middle/where there are low pop. totals" approach spells Stoke South & Stone. I can hear the howls of derision already.
I'm just posting it as a basis for discussion (and speaking of bases for discussion, Al, you haven't commented on my second Shropshire plan yet.)

Tamworth 74,761
gains Hammerwich ward
Lichfield 76,413
loses Hammerwich, gains Stafford borough wards of Chartley and Haywood & Hixon.
Cannock Chase 74,828
Unchanged. Based on district, too.
South Staffordshire 73,630
Unchanged. But somewhat misnamed.
Stafford 77,559
Loses Haywood & Hixon, gains Church Eaton, Gnosall & Woodseaves, Eccleshall
Burton 75,081
Unchanged
Newcastle-under-Lyme 77,883
gains the more rural wards currently in the Stone constituency, Madeley and Loggerheads & Whitmore (there is a place called "Loggerheads"? Seriously?)
Staffordshire Moorlands 77,952
Whole district. This is the seat I meant when I said one seat's character was changed.
Stoke-on-Trent North 75,029
Gains Newchapel ward currently in Moorlands constituency (though it was of legal population before).
Stoke-on-Trent Central 79,229
Gains Fenton and Weston & Meir Park wards. Odd looking additions, I know - there's a ward between them - but a) this saved us a ward split b) the ward between them is Longton North. To the south of which lays Longton South. Which sounded like they ought to remain together. Just as both Burslem wards are in N and both Hanley wards are in C.
Stoke-on-Trent South & Stone 75,842
Eh, yeah. What's left really. Stoke South minus Fenton and Weston & Meir Park, and seven Stafford wards: Stonefield & Christchurch, Saint Michael's, Walton (these three wards are the town of Stone), Forebridge, Barlaston & Oulton, Swynnerton, and Milwich

doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »

Right, got Wigan (c75k), Makerfield (c73k) and Leigh (c75k)

This leaves Bolton minus bits (c176k) and Atherton ward. I fear that it would be impossible to create seats with just the left over bits and Atherton. I'll report back!
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2010, 04:02:13 PM by YorkshireLiberal »

Fair enough on the Cumbrian names.

I thought I'd have a look at the can of worms that is Northern Ireland.  As I mentioned before, Nicholas Whyte has a post on his blog on the subject, and some of my thoughts are similar to those there (including in the comments).

The first question is how many Belfast seats:
(a) 2, covering most of the city council area, with the rest of the urban area distributed between the surrounding seats.  I'm not convinced by this, given Belfast's tightly drawn boundary.
(b) 3, covering a similar area to the 4 seats now.  The trouble with this is that you end up with a controversial South-West Belfast seat; apparently this was proposed before and there was an outcry.
(c) 4, extending the existing seats even further into the surrounding area.  The trouble with this is that the urban area doesn't go much further in most directions.

Anyway, I had a go with (c).  The electorate numbers I used were July 2010, which is clearly somewhat higher overall than December 2009, so I couldn't keep all 15 seats below 79,655.  Some of this may need adjustment.

1. East Belfast and Newtownards.  Gains the Newtownards and Comber areas of Ards DC, loses a couple of wards in inner Belfast.  I don't think you can do (c) without doing something like this.

2. South Belfast.  Gains a couple of wards from East Belfast (I used Ballymacarrett and The Mount), the Dunmurry area transferred from Lagan Valley to West Belfast in the last review, and the remaining part of the Dunmurry area that stayed in Lagan Valley.  Probably also needs the rural Moneyreagh ward of Castlereagh.

3. West Belfast.  Loses Dunmurry, gains the rest of the Shankill and about 5 more wards from the south of North Belfast.

4. North Belfast and Newtownabbey.  Loses its southern areas, gains the parts of Newtownabbey district it doesn't already contain.

5. North Down.  Gains the Ards peninsula.

6. East Antrim (possibly needs a new name).  Loses the Newtownabbey bit, gains eastern wards from Ballymena district and most of Antrim district.  This is pretty ugly; maybe it'd be easier if North Belfast went towards Carrickfergus rather than Ballyclare?

7. North Antrim.  Loses areas east of Ballymena, gains Portrush and Portstewart (otherwise the western seats are in danger of being oversized) and probably also a handful of wards in the NW of Antrim district.

8. Lagan Valley.  Extends both north, to take southernmost three or so wards from Antrim district, and east, taking the parts of Strangford I haven't put anywhere else.  Has to lose the Dromore area.  I don't like this one much.

9. South Down.  Extends back north, taking in the four southernmost wards of Strangford.

10. Upper Bann.  Largely unchanged, but gains Dromore and thus may need to lose a couple of fringe wards to Newry and Armagh.

11. Newry and Armagh.  See Upper Bann

12. Fermanagh and South Tyrone.  Regains the Coalisland area lost in 1997.

13. West Tyrone (or possibly Mid-Ulster, or possibly something else).  Loses northern fringe of Strabane district, gains Cookstown district.

14. Foyle.  Gains northern four wards of Strabane district, regains Banagher and Claudy lost in 2010.

15. East Stroke County.  Loses Banagher and Claudy and the Portrush/Portstewart area, gains Magherafelt district.

Mid-Ulster, Strangford and South Antrim are abolished.

I'm sure there'll be some better ideas!

Edit: I tried to do this "blind" to the effects on the sectarian divide, and haven't calculated them, but I suspect Unionists won't like what I've done to East 'Derry, and it's not clear that they get much compensation elsewhere.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #280 on: August 02, 2010, 03:47:44 PM »

Bolton is driving me mad. I'm only 900 votes short of quota, but I can't get Bolton West redrawn Sad
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #281 on: August 02, 2010, 04:54:49 PM »

How do you want to redraw Bolton West anyway?

I do think you may be starting with the wrong place in just trying to do Bolton (or something) and hoping everything else will fall into place.  Bolton is so far away from the quota that there will be knock-on effects with the neighbouring boroughs (Salford and Bury).
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »

If I wanted to neither split Redditch nor wholly redraw rural Worcestershire nor have more than one constituency cross into Warwickshire, I had no choice but to draw these districts somewhat undersized, which forced large and sometimes somewhat unfortunate districts in Warwickshire. Broadly it's a return to the pre 2010 map, including the oddball Rugby & Kenilworth pairing.

Redditch 79,087
Loses the more rural wards in Worcestershire, but gains a larger rural territory in Warwickshire instead: Tanworth, Studley, Sambourne, Alcester, Kinwarton, and Bidford & Salford wards. 73% of the seat are in Worcestershire.
Stratford on Avon 74,711
Regains all the Warwick district wards it lost in 2010 (but not the bit of Stratford district that it used to include as well): Lapworth, Leek Wootton, Cubbington, Radford Semele (however you pronounce that)
Nuneaton 77,378
Loses these, gains Bulkington, Wolvey, Fosse, Avon & Swift, and even Earl Craven & Wolston wards from Rugby

The one alternative I could try is pairing Kenilworth with Stratford, tossing a lot rural country southeast of Warwick into the Rugby seat (and a bit into the Warwick seat too.)

I used to live in Stratford constituency and my personal feelings are that residents in Warwickshire would strongly object to being clumped in with Redditch.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2010, 10:52:19 PM »

How do you want to redraw Bolton West anyway?

I do think you may be starting with the wrong place in just trying to do Bolton (or something) and hoping everything else will fall into place.  Bolton is so far away from the quota that there will be knock-on effects with the neighbouring boroughs (Salford and Bury).

I am working west-->east, so now the borough of Wigan is done (Atherton missing out), I was hoping it would all work out.....I could create a JUST under Bolton West and hope the December 2010 electorate tips it over Wink
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2010, 01:10:24 PM »

Right, progress.....

Bolton West
Unchanged. It is under quota, but I will argue that the stability is surely a selling point? Unless we're going to start splitting wards, this is the best solution all round

Bolton Central
Oh you'd love to know what I almost called this Wink  This takes wards from top to bottom of Bolton borough, south and north.

Bolton East and Radcliffe
Okay, the shape of this is AWFUL, but as long as you accept that the A667 is a valid link between Kearsley and the western bits of Bury, all is well, no?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #285 on: August 03, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »

Redditch 79,087
Stratford on Avon 74,711
Nuneaton 77,378

I used to live in Stratford constituency and my personal feelings are that residents in Warwickshire would strongly object to being clumped in with Redditch.
Yeah, I think it might be better to expand Redditch southwestward, which will force a remap of the rural seats - which might also allow to make the seats in northern Warwickshire smaller and avoid Rugby & Kenilworth (though that would mean Stratford & Kenilworth. Kenilworth, Warwick and Leamington will not go into one seat).
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #286 on: August 03, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »

Going to bed with these...

Worsley - 72,808
Salford and Eccles - 75,678

Blackley and Broughton - 71,977
Manchester Central and Ordsall - 71,028
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #287 on: August 03, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »

Bolton Central
Oh you'd love to know what I almost called this Wink  This takes wards from top to bottom of Bolton borough, south and north.

Bolton East and Radcliffe
Okay, the shape of this is AWFUL, but as long as you accept that the A667 is a valid link between Kearsley and the western bits of Bury, all is well, no?

Would like a ward list in order to critique.  What are you proposing to do with Bury - something like my Bury and Prestwich?

The A667 only really links Whitefield (Besses and Pilkington Park wards) and Farnworth/Kearsley.  It doesn't go to Radcliffe.  Logically Little Lever would be a better fit with Radcliffe.
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #288 on: August 03, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »

Going to bed with these...

Worsley - 72,808
Salford and Eccles - 75,678

Blackley and Broughton - 71,977
Manchester Central and Ordsall - 71,028

I remember getting negative feedback from Iain Lindley on the Vote UK forum after proposing something similar.  The centre of Salford proper is (or was) in Ordsall and Irwell Riverside wards, so "Manchester Central and Ordsall" would probably be better as "Cities of Salford and Manchester".  That order - Salford came first.  What do you do with "Salford and Eccles" then though?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #289 on: August 03, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »

Does Salford proper really need to be split into three?
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #290 on: August 04, 2010, 12:20:26 AM »

My fear is, if Manchester/Salford is under quota, or just impossible to fashion, then my entire proposal falls down. I don't fancy going all the way back to Garstang just to solve Salford.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #291 on: August 04, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »

Bolton West
Bolton West      71,061
Atherton   00BWGG   10,618
Westhoughton North and Chew Moor   00BLGR   10,932
Westhoughton South   00BLGS   9,581
Horwich and Blackrod   00BLGH   9,629
Horwich North East   00BLGJ   9,760
Smithills   00BLGP   9,902
Heaton and Lostock   00BLGG   10,639

Bolton Central      75,966
Astley Bridge   00BLFX   10,035
Crompton   00BLGB   9,939
Halliwell   00BLGE   8,827
Rumworth   00BLGN   9,742
Hulton   00BLGK   9,777
Great Lever   00BLGD   9,223
Tonge with the Haulgh   00BLGQ   8,944
Breightmet   00BLFZ   9,479

Bolton East and Radcliffe       73,814
Farnworth   00BLGC   10,708
Harper Green   00BLGF   9,506
Kearsley   00BLGL   10,345
Radcliffe East   00BMGB   8,468
Radcliffe North   00BMGC   8,839
Radcliffe West   00BMGD   8,395
Pilkington Park   00BMGA   7,777
Little Lever and Darcy Lever   00BLGM   9,776
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #292 on: August 04, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »

Hmm, not as bad as it could have been.  I'd assumed from the name "Bolton East and Radcliffe" that it had Breightmet in it, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

The only part of your "Bolton East and Radcliffe" which is in Bolton proper is the village of Darcy Lever, so I think you should resurrect a very old constituency name and call it "Radcliffe-cum-Farnworth".  The split of Whitefield isn't very elegant though.  Your "Bolton Central" being as much of Bolton proper as will fit in one seat makes a lot of sense.

I'm still worried about what you're going to do with Bury - I think you've left yourself short in Botchdale.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #293 on: August 05, 2010, 07:57:13 AM »

Does Salford proper really need to be split into three?
No, it can be included in one. It does mean largeish seats in Bolton and Bury and very small ones in Manchester (and Oldham, but we're all counting on that) though.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2010, 04:58:06 AM »

We have clearly come with a substantial number of ideas, however it is now difficult to tell what are proposals, what are actual committed constituencies and how those committed constituencies would turn out.

Therefore could I suggest that people who have made committed constituenciues (i.e constituencies that they are happy with and make electoral sense) to pm me with their constituencies (and how similar they are to old constituencies (i.e constituency name = 55% of 2010 constituency, 32% of 2010 constituency)) and I will post in a new thread entitled "US Atlas Forum Notionals 2010", how these new constituencies would rack up.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #295 on: August 07, 2010, 06:24:48 AM »

Bromsgrove 73,430
unchanged, coterminous with district
Worcestershire West 74,392
Loses Tenbury, Teme Valley, Lindridge; gains Hartlebury, Ombersley, Drakes Broughton, Norton & Whittington in a strip north and south of Worcester.
Worcestershire East 72,952
This was always somewhat misnamed as Worcestershire Mid - it includes the southeast corner for god's sake - and getting more so with my changes. Loses the four wards listed just above, gains Inkberrow and the Redditch district ward of Astwood Bank & Feckenham.

Redditch 79,087
Stratford on Avon 74,711
Nuneaton 77,378

Yeah, I think it might be better to expand Redditch southwestward, which will force a remap of the rural seats - which might also allow to make the seats in northern Warwickshire smaller and avoid Rugby & Kenilworth (though that would mean Stratford & Kenilworth. Kenilworth, Warwick and Leamington will not go into one seat).

West Worcestershire (or Malvern & Droitwich) 78,918
Malvern Hills district except for the three wards ceded to the N Herefordshire seat; Droitwich and three rural wards west of it
Bromsgrove 75,334
gains Dodderhill. Which won't go into West and looks really, really wrong in Redditch where I wanted to place it at first.
Redditch 73,553
gains Bowbrook, Pinvin and Upton Snodsbury wards
Evesham 79,279
Remaining southern half of Whichavon district (64% of constituency); the whole southwestern tier of Warwickshire from Alcester to Long Compton plus Kinwarton, Aston Cantlow and Bardon (mostly because a different arrangement looks even odder on the map)
Warwick & Leamington 73,240
gains Radford Semele and Cubbington
Stratford & Kenilworth 76,452
Remainder of Warwick district, Stratford and eleven further wards. Difficult to explain otherwise so I'll list: Sambourne, Studley, Tanworth, Henley, Claverdon, Snitterfield, Wellesbourne, Ettington, Vale of the Red Horse, Kineton, Burton Dassett.If the two wards I added to Warwick & Leamington were here instead it'd make a perfect donut.
Alternatives include exchanging the three western wards around Studley for the four wards in the far southern corner of the county now included in Evesham (for a net gain of 230 persons here); or even Warwick & Stratford and Leamington & Kenilworth districts (though we'd need to find some two thousand extra persons to put into the latter.)
Regains the Arley & Whitacre and Hartshill wards, and thus exactly as in 97-10
Nuneaton 75,232
loses these, gains Bulkington, Wolvey, Fosse, and Earl Craven & Wolston from Rugby
Rugby 76,655
Remainder of borough, Long Itchington, Southam, Stockton & Napton, Fenny Compton and Harbury wards of Stratford district.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #296 on: August 07, 2010, 06:33:47 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2010, 06:40:32 AM by the sweetness of chai and the palliative effects of facts »

Bear with me. The "least hassle, keep 10 out of 12 seats (or I guess nine out of 12) perfectly in character, abolish a seat in the middle/where there are low pop. totals" approach spells Stoke South & Stone. I can hear the howls of derision already.
I'm just posting it as a basis for discussion (and speaking of bases for discussion, Al, you haven't commented on my second Shropshire plan yet.)

Tamworth 74,761
gains Hammerwich ward
Lichfield 76,413
loses Hammerwich, gains Stafford borough wards of Chartley and Haywood & Hixon.
Cannock Chase 74,828
Unchanged. Based on district, too.
South Staffordshire 73,630
Unchanged. But somewhat misnamed.
Stafford 77,559
Loses Haywood & Hixon, gains Church Eaton, Gnosall & Woodseaves, Eccleshall
Burton 75,081
Unchanged
Newcastle-under-Lyme 77,883
gains the more rural wards currently in the Stone constituency, Madeley and Loggerheads & Whitmore (there is a place called "Loggerheads"? Seriously?)
Staffordshire Moorlands 77,952
Whole district. This is the seat I meant when I said one seat's character was changed.
Stoke-on-Trent North 75,029
Gains Newchapel ward currently in Moorlands constituency (though it was of legal population before).
Stoke-on-Trent Central 79,229
Gains Fenton and Weston & Meir Park wards. Odd looking additions, I know - there's a ward between them - but a) this saved us a ward split b) the ward between them is Longton North. To the south of which lays Longton South. Which sounded like they ought to remain together. Just as both Burslem wards are in N and both Hanley wards are in C.
Stoke-on-Trent South & Stone 75,842
Eh, yeah. What's left really. Stoke South minus Fenton and Weston & Meir Park, and seven Stafford wards: Stonefield & Christchurch, Saint Michael's, Walton (these three wards are the town of Stone), Forebridge, Barlaston & Oulton, Swynnerton, and Milwich

No discussion has occurred Angry but I've been thinking about it.

The Potteries (defined as Stoke and Newcastle-under-Lyme) will not go into three seats and will not fill four; there's no way to avoid that. But rather than clap on some completely different area maybe they can be padded out with Biddulph and odds and ends elsewhere? As a straight swap that means a just as bizarre Stone & Leek seat... but maybe I can exchange some wards here and there, involving the Burton and Lichfield seats, and come out with a presentable result. I'll go try in a minute.

There's two unrelated mini-errors with Stoke S & Stone anyways. "Forebridge" should read "Fulton" (Forebridge ward is in Stafford town), and the pop. is 75,847.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »

I'll be commenting later today Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2010, 07:58:46 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2010, 11:12:01 AM by the sweetness of chai and the palliative effects of facts »

Tamworth 74,761
gains Hammerwich ward
Lichfield 79,546
loses Hammerwich, Needwood, gains Stafford borough wards of Chartley, Haywood & Hixon, and Milford and the Cannock Chase ward of Rawnsley.
Cannock Chase 77,132
Loses Rawnsley, Norton Canes, gains Huntington & Hatherton and the three Penkridge wards.
South Staffordshire 79,164
Loses Huntington & Hatherton, gains Norton Canes and Wheaton Aston etc.
Stafford & Stone 79,206
Loses Haywood & Hixon, Milford, South Staffordshire parts, gains Church Eaton, Gnosall & Woodseaves, Eccleshall, Milwich, Barlaston & Oulton, Stone town wards (compared to current Stafford seat)
Burton 75,725
Loses Weaver, Churnet; gains Needwood
Newcastle-under-Lyme 73,150
gains the more rural wards currently in the Stone constituency, Madeley and Loggerheads & Whitmore (there is a place called "Loggerheads"? Seriously?); loses Audley & Bignall End
Staffordshire Moorlands 73,731
Whole district except for the Brown Edge & Endon, Bagnall & Stanley, and Werrington wards; Weaver and Churnet from Burton.
Stoke-on-Trent North 73,595
Gains Audley & Bignall End, Newchapel, and Brown Edge & Endon outside of the city, loses East Valley within it.
Stoke-on-Trent Central 75,340
Gains East Valley and (outside the city limits) Bagnall & Stanley and Werrington
Stoke-on-Trent South 76,862
Gains some extensions into northernmost Stafford district: Fulford and Swynnerton wards.

Adding Biddulph to Stoke N would have meant adding Uttoxeter to Burton Moorlands, which would have meant adding all the remaining territory just outside of Lichfield (that's not in Tamworth already) to Burton and a bizarre stretch of a Lichfield-to-Stone constituency. A prospect I balked at (though I since found out that a similar constituency, named Mid Staffordshire, existed from 1983 to 1997. And provided a memorable by-election in 1990.) So that got me to thinking... where do I want to put Stone? And the answer was Stafford, if it couldn't be the center of its own constituency anymore. (A Stone & Uttoxeter constituency might have looked okay too, except that the populations north and south of it were totally wrong - it didn't actually solve anything.) 'Kay then - what do I need to drop from Stafford to make that work? And the answer was Penkridge. Which wouldn't go into South Staffordshire... but with some alterations might go into Cannock Chase (though I dare say it doesn't belong there). And hence what I drew...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2010, 08:25:57 AM »

Alternative version to do less violence to Cannock Chase:

Tamworth 74,761
gains Hammerwich ward
Lichfield 76,928
loses Hammerwich, Needwood, gains Stafford borough wards of Chartley, and Haywood & Hixon, and the Cannock Chase ward of Brereton & Ravenhill.
Cannock Chase 78,493
Loses Brereton & Ravenhill, gains the two Great Wyrley wards.
South Staffordshire 78,347
District excluding Great Wyrley; Church Eaton ward in Stafford district
Stafford & Stone 78,046
Loses Haywood & Hixon, South Staffordshire parts, gains Gnosall & Woodseaves, Eccleshall, Milwich, Stone town wards (compared to current Stafford seat)
Burton 75,725
Loses Weaver, Churnet; gains Needwood
Newcastle-under-Lyme 73,150
gains the more rural wards currently in the Stone constituency, Madeley and Loggerheads & Whitmore (there is a place called "Loggerheads"? Seriously?); loses Audley & Bignall End
Staffordshire Moorlands 78,622
Whole district except for the Brown Edge & Endon, Bagnall & Stanley, and Werrington wards; Weaver and Churnet from Burton, Fulford from Stafford Borough.
Stoke-on-Trent North 73,595
Gains Audley & Bignall End, Newchapel, and Brown Edge & Endon outside of the city, loses East Valley within it.
Stoke-on-Trent Central 75,340
Gains East Valley and (outside the city limits) Bagnall & Stanley and Werrington
Stoke-on-Trent South 75,202
Gains an extension into northern Stafford district: Barlaston & Oulton and Swynnerton wards.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies