Let the great boundary rejig commence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:29:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Let the great boundary rejig commence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41
Author Topic: Let the great boundary rejig commence  (Read 185530 times)
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: September 12, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »

Witney, unchanged. Doncaster North's still there. Hallam becomes Sheffield West and Penistone.

Anyone know where I can find blank ward maps, or atleast, usable ward maps?

www.andrewteale.me.uk a good start, ordered by district though so pretty crap for rural areas

google london ward map for a good one of t'smoke, but you'll need something better than paint if you want to get rid of the coulourings
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #526 on: September 12, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »

For blankness, go to Neighbourhood Statistics (just google it). Then Map Viewer. Then remember how to screenshot.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #527 on: September 12, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »

For blankness, go to Neighbourhood Statistics (just google it). Then Map Viewer. Then remember how to screenshot.

I'll get round to updating 'The Map' at some point.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #528 on: September 12, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »

You should probably include a warning for our eyes or something. Some of these constituencies are quite, quite special.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #529 on: September 12, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »

You should probably include a warning for our eyes or something. Some of these constituencies are quite, quite special.

If it helps that's how 2002 felt to me. To such an extent it made me detached. I only care about the Holyrood arragement and don't particularly care what happens up here next month. You'll probably feel the same with Wales when that monstrosity is unveiled :/
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #530 on: September 12, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »

If it helps that's how 2002 felt to me. To such an extent it made me detached. I only care about the Holyrood arragement and don't particularly care what happens up here next month. You'll probably feel the same with Wales when that monstrosity is unveiled :/

I'm really dreading what they draw for my part of the world, put it that way... can we rule out the horrible possibility of Anglesey being split?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #531 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2011, 12:03:44 PM by afleitch »

I'm really dreading what they draw for my part of the world, put it that way... can we rule out the horrible possibility of Anglesey being split?

How dare Anglesey be an island! F-cking glaciers. I can't see the island being split luckily Smiley Just hive a bit of the mainland onto it. I'm looking forward to the Clwyd coast; might get all the oldies in one place.

EDIT; I wonder if they did split Anglesey, the boundary would go right down the middle of the bridge.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #532 on: September 12, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »

EDIT; I wonder if they did split Anglesey, the boundary would go right down the middle of the bridge.

Which bridge? There are two, and that's the reason why I'm suddenly quite worried... if you decided that the Menai wasn't a particular important geographical barrier in the grand scheme of things, you could split the Island along the general line of the A55, throwing the southern half (including Holyhead) with wherever Caernarfon ends up and the northern half wherever Bangor happens to be drawn.

An alternative is bad as well: a Menai constituency. That is, the Island... and all the wards on the south bank of the Menai.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #533 on: September 12, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »

I've only looked at Yorkshire so far, and not that closely, but it looks quite bad.  They seem to have put too much weight on avoiding ward-splitting and hence gone for some seats that you'd never draw for any other reason, hence the multiple crossings of the West/North Yorks border to cope with the big wards in Leeds.

In South Yorkshire, while I think they ought to be prepared to split wards (and I don't like the new rules anyway), I also think they could have done better even without doing so.  Clegg's new seat (assuming he jumps north rather than south if these are the final proposals) is a case in point.
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #534 on: September 12, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

Some horrid seats in east london, including this gem

In Waltham Forest, we noted that the
electorate of the borough is such that it could
be divided into two constituencies. However,
having decided to include Waltham Forest
wards in a cross-River Lee constituency,

we propose to create a Walthamstow
constituency containing ten central Waltham
Forest wards, including one (Hale End and
Highams Park) from the existing Chingford
and Woodford Green constituency and two
(Forest and Leytonstone) from the existing
Leyton and Wanstead constituency. The four
southernmost Waltham Forest wards are
included in a Stratford constituency together
with five wards from the north west of
Newham.

well why did you do it then (although I can't say I disagree with the Stratford constituency, but the north circular is a border, not a link!
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #535 on: September 12, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »

I wonder how the many cheerleaders for this idiocy are feeling right now.

I've already answered you elsewhere Wink
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #536 on: September 12, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »

We've got all the way to January to wait for them.....
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #537 on: September 12, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »

"Bangor, East Anglesey & Conwy Valley", "Caernarfon & Holyhead" and "Merionydd, Dwyfor & West Anglesey", coming right up! Cheesy
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #538 on: September 12, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2011, 01:03:40 PM by Out of many, one »

LOL. The fact that i'm moaning about the fact that my ward doesn't belong in Wallasey is one thing...

They're having a right laugh with that one. Gordon Brown's lost his PPS from Wirral South anyway - nice MP, saw her speak with him on the day of the leadership result before he got to conference.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #539 on: September 12, 2011, 01:08:21 PM »

A work of beauty.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #540 on: September 12, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »

WTF is that? Did someone spill their coffee?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #541 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:57 PM »

WTF is that? Did someone spill their coffee?

Definitely a contender for worst proposal.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #542 on: September 12, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »

STV anyone?
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #543 on: September 12, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »

yes please, just stick existing districts together like they do in Ireland and don't mess about too much, I'm doing a london map and spotted some right corkers so far
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #544 on: September 12, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »

yes please, just stick existing districts together like they do in Ireland and don't mess about too much, I'm doing a london map and spotted some right corkers so far

Streatham still visible for Chucka?

Just going through Liverpool and the surrounding areas now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #545 on: September 12, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »

I prefer open lists, but, yeah. Anything but this.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #546 on: September 12, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »

What i've got so far
http://i54.tinypic.com/300qydk.jpg
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #547 on: September 12, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »

LOL. The fact that i'm moaning about the fact that my ward doesn't belong in Wallasey is one thing...

They're having a right laugh with that one. Gordon Brown's lost his PPS from Wirral South anyway - nice MP, saw her speak with him on the day of the leadership result before he got to conference.

That is BEAUTIFUL.

Totally unworkable, I mean.  The BCE have done one very good thing - they've managed to do all this without splitting a single ward, anywhere, and that's to be appluaded

However, the consequence is seats like this.

My backyard is Lancashire, where some absolute corkers have been proposed.  Putting Fishwick, one of the most socially and economically challenged wards in England, with the rural expanse of Ribble Valley is tasteless....
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #548 on: September 12, 2011, 05:45:25 PM »

But is it to be applauded? They've managed to get the numbers to work out right, sure. But this isn't a psephological-wank exercise of the sort that we enjoy a fair bit here, it's the real thing.

Of course given the rules and all that we really shouldn't be terribly surprised by any of this. Even if we all are.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #549 on: September 12, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »

But is it to be applauded? They've managed to get the numbers to work out right, sure. But this isn't a psephological-wank exercise of the sort that we enjoy a fair bit here, it's the real thing.

Of course given the rules and all that we really shouldn't be terribly surprised by any of this. Even if we all are.

I think that's what will hurt them. They did it in Scotland; got all the numbers right, patted themselves on the back and were rightfully shafted by the Commissioner who recommended 80% of it was thrown out. They will have to justify why they choose not to split any wards and on what basis they did so especially when set against the other criteria. I don't think they will be able to justify it making this a wasted exercise.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies