2004- What would have happend if there was diffrent canidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:32:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004- What would have happend if there was diffrent canidates?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 2004- What would have happend if there was diffrent canidates?  (Read 14012 times)
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »

as far as Dean I would say between a 3-5% swing in favor of Bush. He was a good candidate in some ways, awful in others. I think Bush's campaign language would be different and more focused on pounding Dean's remarks on the war rather than how he hit Kerry on personal issues.

If Clark was the nominee it's practically impossible to predict what would happen. On the surface he appears to be a better candidate than Kerry. He was a general, moderate, southerner, etc. But as was made apparent by the '04 primary race he was a very weak campaigner on the trail and was unnable to roll in the big bucks. So it's also possible that he would loose by a wider or simmilar margin.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 02:20:19 AM »

as far as Dean I would say between a 3-5% swing in favor of Bush. He was a good candidate in some ways, awful in others. I think Bush's campaign language would be different and more focused on pounding Dean's remarks on the war rather than how he hit Kerry on personal issues.

If Clark was the nominee it's practically impossible to predict what would happen. On the surface he appears to be a better candidate than Kerry. He was a general, moderate, southerner, etc. But as was made apparent by the '04 primary race he was a very weak campaigner on the trail and was unnable to roll in the big bucks. So it's also possible that he would loose by a wider or simmilar margin.

He may not have been left wing enough for his party. Plus he joined late. I think Bush would've hammered Clark on the domestic issues. We did have a good economy in 2004 just not in alot of the battleground states.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 01:44:43 PM »

He may not have been left wing enough for his party. Plus he joined late. I think Bush would've hammered Clark on the domestic issues. We did have a good economy in 2004 just not in alot of the battleground states.

The economy was in good shape in 2004, but rising fuel prices made many voters feel uncertain about the recovery. Thus, the Democrats could ahve still hammered Bush Jr. over the economy. Not to mention that no new jobs were created in Bush Jr.'s first term.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »

For Dean, I think a large focus of the attacks would have been about Dean's lack of foreign policy experience. Bush Jr. would be unable to attack Dean as a flip-flopper, so I think he would want to avoid attacking Dean directly on Iraq, for Dean could then retailate and claim that he had good judgment by opposing this war from the start. TBH, though, I think that attacking Dean's foreign policy credentials would have been enough to make him lose by either the same or a slightly larger margin than Kerry. I agree with what you wrote about Clark.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 04:14:28 PM »

For Dean, I think a large focus of the attacks would have been about Dean's lack of foreign policy experience. Bush Jr. would be unable to attack Dean as a flip-flopper, so I think he would want to avoid attacking Dean directly on Iraq, for Dean could then retailate and claim that he had good judgment by opposing this war from the start. TBH, though, I think that attacking Dean's foreign policy credentials would have been enough to make him lose by either the same or a slightly larger margin than Kerry. I agree with what you wrote about Clark.

The entire year you would have heard Bush reminding independents that Dean would allow our troops to be commanded by foreign leaders from the UN. The GOP would argue that it was Dean's way of shrugging off a responsibility that he had no clue about.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 01:25:57 PM »

The entire year you would have heard Bush reminding independents that Dean would allow our troops to be commanded by foreign leaders from the UN. The GOP would argue that it was Dean's way of shrugging off a responsibility that he had no clue about.

The GOP would probably have said this a lot, but Dean could have reminded voters that he, unlike Bush, is honest and has solid judgment.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 11:30:22 PM »

The GOP would probably have said this a lot, but Dean could have reminded voters that he, unlike Bush, is honest and has solid judgment.

Solid judgment like putting our troops in the hands of foreign leaders? Yea that's really solid judgment. Use your judgment and don't post things until you're sure they make sense.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »

Solid judgment like putting our troops in the hands of foreign leaders? Yea that's really solid judgment. Use your judgment and don't post things until you're sure they make sense.

Solid judgment like opposing a pointless war in Iraq from the start.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 11:35:59 PM »

I'd rather have a war where our troops were led by a commander in chief, especially one who was surrounded by military experience and whose father was even a hero in WWII. If Dean had his way, women would still be oppressed in Iraq.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »

I'd rather have a war where our troops were led by a commander in chief, especially one who was surrounded by military experience and whose father was even a hero in WWII. If Dean had his way, women would still be oppressed in Iraq.

It's not our business if dictators in other countries are oppressing their people. Dean knew that Saddam wasn't an immediate threat to us and thus he had good judgment by opposing the Iraq War from the start. Bush didn't have a lot of military experience and it's irrelevant whether his dad had any or not because his dad wasn't the President back then.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »

None of our business? If you saw a murder taking place on the street, wouldn't you at least call the cops? I hope you would. Now replace the murderer with Saddam and the one being murdered with an innocent Iraqi. Even though they may not be citizens of the US, they're humans too!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 07:16:37 PM »

None of our business? If you saw a murder taking place on the street, wouldn't you at least call the cops? I hope you would. Now replace the murderer with Saddam and the one being murdered with an innocent Iraqi. Even though they may not be citizens of the US, they're humans too!

Then how come we didn't invade Sudan? Unlike Saddam, the Sudanese govt. was actually committing a genocide when Bush Jr. was President. And if you're going to talk about human rights, Reagan sold Saddam a lot of WMDs when Saddam was committing genocide. So if you're going to invade one country while ignoring countries that have far worse human rights violations, then you Republicans are just a bunch of hypocrites.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »

Then how come we didn't invade Sudan? Unlike Saddam, the Sudanese govt. was actually committing a genocide when Bush Jr. was President. And if you're going to talk about human rights, Reagan sold Saddam a lot of WMDs when Saddam was committing genocide. So if you're going to invade one country while ignoring countries that have far worse human rights violations, then you Republicans are just a bunch of hypocrites.

There you go again right out of the playbook.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »

I am simply stating facts. It's not my fault a lot of Republican politicians are hypocrites.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »

I am simply stating facts. It's not my fault a lot of Republican politicians are hypocrites.

Facts that only tell one side of the story. Facts can be very misleading out of context.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »

Facts that only tell one side of the story. Facts can be very misleading out of context.

OK, explain your side of the story then.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »

Hypocrisy cuts both ways.

Why do so many Democrats support invading Sudan, an even s**tier country than Iraq, while opposing the Iraq War?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 11:48:48 PM »

Hypocrisy cuts both ways.

Why do so many Democrats support invading Sudan, an even s**tier country than Iraq, while opposing the Iraq War?

I know that many Democrats are also hypocrites. I don't support invading Sudan, though, and I always opposed the Iraq War. And I was just pointing out that it was hypocritical for Republicans to say that we should have invaded Iraq on humanitarian grounds when certain other countries (Sudan, North Korea, etc.) had worse humanitarian situations back then than Iraq had.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »

Howard Dean : 52%, 298 EVs
George Bush : 48%, 240 EVs
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »

Howard Dean : 52%, 298 EVs
George Bush : 48%, 240 EVs

I doubt Dean would have won in 2004 considering he had no foreign policy experience (in a foreign-policy centered election year).
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »

Here are my predictions:

Dean

Bush/Cheney (R): 342 EVs, 54% of the PV
Dean/Vilsack (D): 196 EVs, 44% of the PV

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »

Bush/Cheney 56%, 447 EV's
Dean/Kerry 42%, 91 EV's
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »

Bush/Cheney-300 EV
Dean/Clark-238 EV
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »

Bush/Cheyney-47% of PV; 204 Electoral Votes
H. Clinton/Gephdart-53 of PV; 334 Electoral Votes

Of course this is a "Clinton runs the best campaign she possibly could have" scenario...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »

Bush/Cheyney-47% of PV; 204 Electoral Votes
H. Clinton/Gephdart-53 of PV; 334 Electoral Votes

Of course this is a "Clinton runs the best campaign she possibly could have" scenario...

I think Hillary could have beat Bush, but she probably wouldn't have won by that kind of margin. Jeb would have probably delivered FL for his big bro, and Bush would have attacked Hillary as an indecisive flip-flopper and inexperienced, which would have somewhat damaged her.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies