A sloution to illegal immigration- $5 for a head of cabbage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:49:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A sloution to illegal immigration- $5 for a head of cabbage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A sloution to illegal immigration- $5 for a head of cabbage  (Read 4427 times)
RRB
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »

That's right,  if you want to curb illegals coming to the US, crack down on people who hire them.  Pay Americans a decent wage to go out into the fields, and pay more for your food.  If people are so uptight about the situation, they should not care.  They won't pay $5 for a head of cabbage, but they want to fill our jails with brown people, and spend billions on a stupid wall on the border.

Am I missing something here, or is this just too simple for our politicians to figure out!!!!!

Seems to me that they would quit coming here if they couldn't work.......RIGHT?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »

Someone from Michigan really has no idea what the situation is like on the border.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »

Someone from Michigan really has no idea what the situation is like on the border.

Way to not address his point at all. By the way, where's that border in Florida?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:49:50 PM »

Way to not address his point at all. By the way, where's that border in Florida?

We are considered a border state.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:13 PM »

We are considered a border state.

By whom? You guys border Alabama, Georgia, and a lot of oily water.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »

The water counts as a border. We have illegals from Cuba and Haiti.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:48 PM »

You cannot be an illegal from Cuba.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:04:15 PM »

That's right,  if you want to curb illegals coming to the US, crack down on people who hire them.  Pay Americans a decent wage to go out into the fields, and pay more for your food.  If people are so uptight about the situation, they should not care.  They won't pay $5 for a head of cabbage, but they want to fill our jails with brown people, and spend billions on a stupid wall on the border.

Am I missing something here, or is this just too simple for our politicians to figure out!!!!!

We don't want to put them in jails.  We want to send them back to their country, construct a wall, and place soldiers on both borders.  The Republicans have already suggested a fine for people who hire illegal immigrants.  Billions have become nothing.  This country is 13 trillion dollars in debt.  The money we save in illegal immigration social expenses will pay for itself.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »

Yes, the dry foot policy or whatever the hell it's called. They try to stop them though when they are still at sea if they can.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:07:35 PM »

i have a border
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »

We don't want to put them in jails.  We want to send them back to their country, construct a wall, and place soldiers on both borders.  The Republicans have already suggested a fine for people who hire illegal immigrants.  Billions have become nothing.  This country is 13 trillion dollars in debt.  The money we save in illegal immigration social expenses will pay for itself.

Logically, we would aim to expand the economy while also collecting taxes from people that are here.  The worst idea would be to spend even more money trying to shrink the work force and tax base.

Yes, the dry foot policy or whatever the hell it's called. They try to stop them though when they are still at sea if they can.

Which makes no sense to me.  But regardless, once they're here, they're legal.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:14:19 PM »

Everybody has illegals. If your standard is lots of Hispanics and a water border, then New Jersey is a border state.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:18:16 PM »

Damn it, where is Florida's fence?
TheGreatOne

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »

We don't want to put them in jails.  We want to send them back to their country, construct a wall, and place soldiers on both borders.  The Republicans have already suggested a fine for people who hire illegal immigrants.  Billions have become nothing.  This country is 13 trillion dollars in debt.  The money we save in illegal immigration social expenses will pay for itself.

Logically, we would aim to expand the economy while also collecting taxes from people that are here.  The worst idea would be to spend even more money trying to shrink the work force and tax base.

Which makes no sense to me.  But regardless, once they're here, they're legal.
We would save billions by refusing illegal immigrants the public benefits we give to them.  Why should illegal immigrants be allowed to stay and pay taxes when they migrated here illegally?  That wouldn’t be fair to everyone who legally immigrated.  Lawbreakers should not be rewarded.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:29:39 PM »

Everybody has illegals. If your standard is lots of Hispanics and a water border, then New Jersey is a border state.
We should also consider Tennessee as a border state, because illegal immigrants could parachute in.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:38:21 PM »

Agreed.  I've been saying the same for years.  I don't want to pay $3/lb for apples, but if that's what it costs to get them from the tree to my grocery store then that's what it costs.

Or, since we have a population willing to do the work for a lot less pay, we bring MORE in legally.  I don't care if there are 100,000,000 Mexicans here if there is work for them, but we HAVE to close the border.  Immigration is fine, it's the illegal part I take issue with.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 11:43:47 PM »

I don't care if there are 100,000,000 Mexicans here if there is work for them, but we HAVE to close the border.

I still haven't heard a good case to support this idea.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:06:23 AM »

A nation must protect it's borders.  We can't let everybody that can get here in.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »

You do realize Michigan borders Canada, right?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »

Yes, but what is Canada but America, Jr?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 11:08:56 AM »

The 'sloution' is probably the automatic/robotic cabbage picker, or as an exciting alternative, genetically engineered cabbages that pick themselves.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 11:51:14 AM »

I don't care if there are 100,000,000 Mexicans here if there is work for them, but we HAVE to close the border.

I still haven't heard a good case to support this idea.

I haven't heard a good argument opposing it.

Seriously, instead of absolute open borders, if a prosepective immigrant can pass a criminal and medical background check (as I believe is already done for visa applicants), and they have a confirmed job waiting for them, then what is the problem with at least multiplying the visas granted by 5 or 10 fold (a complete removal would be too hard to manage, I think). Just strictly apply minimum wage, health and safety and other workplace protections to them to avoid exploitation and collapse of wage standards.

It's simplistic sounding to me, but no one's yet adaquately explained why it wouldn't work.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »

Yes, but what is Canada but America, Jr?

Someone in Florida really has no idea what it's like in Canada.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

Incidentally Chinese cabbage (Pak-Choi) is one of the most nutritious foods in existence:

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 01:40:14 PM »

You don´t have to have $5 for 1lb of cabbage. Just have the production moved down to Mexico and have it imported, it will be much cheaper.

Yes, of course, cutting agricultural subsidies would dramatically cut illegal immigration. As a side benefit, it would also help a lot Mexican agricultural sector. I am all in favor.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies