The coalition now includes a Labour MP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:58:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The coalition now includes a Labour MP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The coalition now includes a Labour MP  (Read 1376 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278760/Frank-Field-defects-nations-Poverty-Tsar.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

My own MP too. I'm annoyed (although, I saw it coming).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »

Poverty Tsar? Umm... really? Poverty. Tsar. Does anyone else see the problem here?

If this does happen, it wouldn't come as a massive shock. Frank Field has (sadly) turned into the second coming of Philip Snowden.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »

Poverty Tsar? Umm... really? Poverty. Tsar. Does anyone else see the problem here?

If this does happen, it wouldn't come as a massive shock. Frank Field has (sadly) turned into the second coming of Philip Snowden.

The only reason he's never defected is because of the constituency. I'm pretty sure that Cameron campaigned more with Field than the actual Tory candidate.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »

David Cameron has a Poverty Tsar? Oh this is getting too good.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:17:30 AM »

The necessary token Labour member for any National Government!

Will the voters use their fancy new power of recall?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 05:01:48 AM »

Now the National Government has it's MacDonald.

Actually, no. At least MacDonald was prime minister.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:21:45 AM »

Frank Field? Poverty Tsar for the 'Coalition' eh?

Can someone please remind again which party it was that back in the early 1980s, as a direct consequence of some rigid dogmatic adherence to some putrid contractionary monetary policy, wreaked much societal trauma across huge swathes of Britain, ushering in an era of mass welfare dependency and an historical leap in poverty?

And that is why this pro-positive rights Smiley Christian Democrat, with a most profound social conscience, is not and never could be a Conservative. That wasn't conservatism, it was reactionary radical right-wing liberalism. Are we to suffer some neo-reactionary government now?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 06:23:38 AM »

Can someone please remind again which party it was that back in the early 1980s, as a direct consequence of some rigid dogmatic adherence to some putrid contractionary monetary policy, wreaked much societal trauma across huge swathes of Britain, ushering in an era of mass welfare dependency and an historical leap in poverty?

And that is why this pro-positive rights Smiley Christian Democrat, with a most profound social conscience, is not and never could be a Conservative. That wasn't conservatism, it was reactionary radical right-wing liberalism. Are we to suffer some neo-reactionary government now?

Thatcher was not a real small-c conservative by any stretch of the imagination. Most people associate conservatism with her now sadly, and not it's Burkean definition.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 06:38:04 AM »

Thatcher was not a real small-c conservative by any stretch of the imagination. Most people associate conservatism with her now sadly, and not it's Burkean definition.

I've been having an running argument with Lib Dims/Dums (I can never remember what that party's called), here and there, who have taken it on themselves to berate Labour for its 'Thatchernomics'. Not entirely fair given that social justice has remained integral to Labour, with much success Smiley, and that was a concept totally alien to that heathen. Methodist? I never met a Methodist who could stomach the woman. She got no change when she, famously, addressed the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland with what came to be called the 'Sermon on the Mound' either. For all her putrid ideology's anti-welfarist rhetoric, she will always be in my mind the 'Founding of Mass Welfare Dependency' cos it's Nowt But God's Own Truth

As for the 'Coalition', true to my convictions, I'll be attacking it from the left, the right and the centre when need be

I've wrote a letter to The Guardian in response to Cameron's fag's pathetic defence of the 'Coalition'. I kept it short and sweet, of course, "Weak, Weak, Weak". Why not? It's accurate Smiley. I could have offered a more robust defence of it
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 06:38:37 AM »

What they are really mad at is Labour toning down it's rhetoric, even though for the past 13 years, we've had a government which has achieved a lot for social justice: national minimum wage, Sure Start, Winter Fuel Payments, EMA, higher child tax credits....
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:42:06 AM »

What they are really mad at is Labour toning down it's rhetoric, even though for the past 13 years, we've had a government which has achieved a lot for social justice: national minimum wage, Sure Start, Winter Fuel Payments, EMA, higher child tax credits....

There are many progressive policies Labour have put in place given that the party, true to its moral compass, owns positive rights, which the neo-reactionaries might not dare be able to roll back Wink
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »

Indeed, the most alarming thing I've read about Cameron was that in the words of Tim Montgomerrie of ConservativeHome, "Cameron is crafting a governing philosophy of George W Bush's 1999 'compassionate conservatism"

Yikes! George Dumbya? LOL. Grin Splendid chap wasn't he? Roll Eyes
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:04:33 AM »

There are many progressive policies Labour have put in place given that the party, true to its moral compass, owns positive rights, which the neo-reactionaries might not dare be able to roll back Wink

I don't know... given they've put IDS in charge of work and pensions.... *shudder*
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »

I don't know... given they've put IDS in charge of work and pensions.... *shudder*
He is tasked with eradicating both from Britain and give Frank Field some work to do?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »

Wait, David Cameron is hiring "Tsars"..... maybe y'all should get some Tea Parties to complain about it....
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »

Wait, David Cameron is hiring "Tsars"..... maybe y'all should get some Tea Parties to complain about it....

It's called the BNP (and UKIP).
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 11:42:40 AM »

What a cute thread Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »

I hope you particularly liked my little piece of not-particularly-serious venom. Cheesy
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 12:01:51 PM »

I hope you particularly liked my little piece of not-particularly-serious venom. Cheesy

It's not nice to watch a number of people undergo a small post election breakdown Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies