16.5 billion euros week 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:51:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  16.5 billion euros week 1
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 16.5 billion euros week 1  (Read 513 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:12:35 PM »
« edited: May 17, 2010, 09:25:52 PM by Beet »

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- The European Central Bank announced Monday it would launch a special tender to re-absorb the 16.5 billion euros ($21 billion) in extra liquidity produced by its purchases of euro-zone government bonds.

Economists said the snap announcement appeared designed in part to soothe concerns that the ECB was moving towards a money-creating, quantitative-easing strategy. ECB officials have insisted that the program of bond purchases, announced last week in the wake of the nearly $1 trillion European Union-IMF bailout program for the euro zone announced last week, would be fully sterilized.

----

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ecb-to-mop-up-21-billion-from-govt-bond-buys-2010-05-17?reflink=MW_news_stmp

QE is exactly what is needed right now. The 16.5 billion euros amounts to $21 billion. Less than 2% of outstanding sovereign debt of at risk PIIGS. In contrast, in March 2009, the US Fed revealed plans to purchase over $1 trillion in bonds (sterilized, of course).
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »

What does "fully sterilized" mean in this context, and how does it work? That is new one for me.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »

What does "fully sterilized" mean in this context, and how does it work? That is new one for me.

In the Fed context, the central bank paid interest rates for banks to keep very short term reserves loans at their Fed accounts, effectively taking that money out of the monetary base. In the ECB context, they are issuing "tender", which I assume is something similar to that or to normal Federal open market operations where the central bank sells official bonds in exchange for currency.

Anyway, it appears that I jumped the gun on the thread title; this figure is only preliminary for the last week, so there is more coming.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »

In the Fed context, the central bank paid interest rates for banks to keep very short term reserves loans at their Fed accounts, effectively taking that money out of the monetary base. In the ECB context, they are issuing "tender", which I assume is something similar to that or to normal Federal open market operations where the central bank sells official bonds in exchange for currency.

Anyway, it appears that I jumped the gun on the thread title; this figure is only preliminary for the last week, so there is more coming.

IC, it is like burning currency in the fireplace, except that of course it can come back to life.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »

IC, it is like burning currency in the fireplace, except that of course it can come back to life.

And the response of the currency markets thus far is like a Jay Sean song.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »

How can they possibly expect to improve their economy without quantitative easing?  They seem to be living in a fantasy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies