Labour Whine Thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:19:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Whine Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Whine Thread.  (Read 2026 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:15:04 PM »

Dear forum Labourites/Labouristas/former Lib Dems

This is not really a board to play out minute nervous breakdowns (I'm particularly worried about Dave :/) and we have several threads already, basically consisting of a series of drawn out rants, whimpers, angry outbursts and sporadic patches of 13 year long memory loss.

You may now whine in your very own Topic until it gets out of your system Smiley

Yours

Smile A Mile Wide.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »

Oh, but you're missing the point. No one's having a nervous breakdown, it's just that we hate this government in much the same way that you hated the previous one.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »

Oh, but you're missing the point. No one's having a nervous breakdown, it's just that we hate this government in much the same way that you hated the previous one.

I think I gave the last one more than a week Smiley
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »

I hate both.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:20:22 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8690882.stm

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What's that? The ConLib coalition doing something genuinely good, rolling back the police stateism of the Labour years? But all the diehard Labourites on this forum who are constantly attacking Nick Clegg over the silliest things assured me that Labour was to the left of the LibDems on every single issue and Nick Clegg was just a regular old right-winger!

Really, this rabid anti-LibDem/anti-Clegg/anti-coalition stuff from the Labour supporters on this forum over the stupidest and most inconsequential issues from posters whose contributions to this forum I generally value very highly is just ridiculous.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »

Liberalism is just washed down and sexed up conservatism.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:58:46 PM »

lol
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »

Dear forum Labourites/Labouristas/former Lib Dems

This is not really a board to play out minute nervous breakdowns (I'm particularly worried about Dave :/) and we have several threads already, basically consisting of a series of drawn out rants, whimpers, angry outbursts and sporadic patches of 13 year long memory loss.

You may now whine in your very own Topic until it gets out of your system Smiley

Yours

Smile A Mile Wide.

Will you now vote for the Lib Dems at the next election? Tongue
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8690882.stm

What's that? The ConLib coalition doing something genuinely good, rolling back the police stateism of the Labour years? But all the diehard Labourites on this forum who are constantly attacking Nick Clegg over the silliest things assured me that Labour was to the left of the LibDems on every single issue and Nick Clegg was just a regular old right-winger!

Really, this rabid anti-LibDem/anti-Clegg/anti-coalition stuff from the Labour supporters on this forum over the stupidest and most inconsequential issues from posters whose contributions to this forum I generally value very highly is just ridiculous.

Labour never infringed on my civil liberties, Lief Smiley and I'm yet to hear it raised on the doorstep (and I've knocked hundreds of doors this past campaign). In 2005, I encountered Iraq as an issue in the city and its burbs but never in the former mining communities that have, traditionally, determined the the City of Durham's parliamentary representation. It's been Labour since 1935

And as far as the 'Coalition' goes do you not think it sticks in my throat somewhat when I've known the Lib Dems to campaign against Labour on as little as much as Gordon Brown standing outside 10 Downing Street with Baroness Thatcher? This neo-reactionary government had better not start 'slashing and burning' Angry to the extent she did
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 05:41:34 AM »

I think I gave the last one more than a week Smiley
That may have something to do with a government quality differential. Tongue

bad
good!
no clue what that is
loooong overdue
good.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »

What's that? The ConLib coalition doing something genuinely good, rolling back the police stateism of the Labour years?

'Police state' is an interesting choice of phrase, because as Clegg said all that, the Home Secretary came out in support of a major increase in police powers.

But, of course, the general state of affairs wrt civil liberties is this; Labour is much more comfortable in violating everyone's civil liberties a little bit than the Tories are, and the Tories are much more comfortable in violating the civil liberties of unpopular minorities a lot than Labour are. I mean right now, some seriously ominous noises regarding Gypsies/Travelers/Etc have been eminating from the government and it's pretty obvious that the next few years are not going to be good for them.

I don't think anyone claimed that Labour was/is/whatever to the left on all issues (though that sort of thing is pretty subjective). Labour is, of course, a part of the Left and the LibDems are not; which is why some of the anger directed at the LibDems over the past month has been a little silly. In the same vein, Clegg is, of course, a right-winger (albeit the leader of a party of the centre). That much has been obvious for years. Equally, it is possible to be on the Right and be a liberal and on the Left and not be so.

Whether an issue matters or not is subjective. That the Deputy Prime Minister does not think that universal suffrage was all that important in the development of the Constitution worries me.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 09:30:17 PM »

I just watched Osborne give an awesome speech to some business group. He totally wowed me. I just didn't know where to share my feelings on this, so I dumped it here. Sorry. Carry on.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »

I just watched Osborne give an awesome speech to some business group. He totally wowed me. I just didn't know where to share my feelings on this, so I dumped it here. Sorry. Carry on.

lol, Osbourne. The biggest joke of the new administration.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 02:11:34 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2010, 02:15:10 PM by Vote Yellow, Get Blue »

Just read in the local paper that my local council (Wirral, no majority) has also been ConDem'd. Labour are now the opposition. Sad
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 03:53:05 PM »

Cameron is now planning to gerrymander our constituencies so the Conservatives will always win, put the vote of no confidence motion up to 55% and have 5 year fixed terms. All in exchange for a REFERENDUM (that's right, just a referendum!) on AV. Somehow I think the Lib Dems got suckered majorly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 03:56:47 PM »

Cameron is now planning to gerrymander our constituencies
Are there any known details on that?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 03:58:13 PM »

Of course not; it's Winston!

There is a commitment to reduce constituencies, but that is as likely to hurt and help parties fairly equally.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »

He's trying to make all constituencies the same size, a move that would blatantly favour the Conservatives.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 04:00:16 PM »

He's trying to make all constituencies the same size, a move that would blatantly favour the Conservatives.

Even if that was what it was about how dare he demand equal representation!
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »

Even if that was what it was about how dare he demand equal representation!

Why not just let the nation decide as one constituency? Or would that be too fair?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 04:23:43 PM »

Not really. I think that this not being a one-party government might have something to do with that; I doubt they've worked out an intellectually legit argument for insisting on more equal electorates overall, while also retaining the remote-rural malapportionment that remains as much a boon to LibDem representation as ever...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »

Cameron is now planning to gerrymander our constituencies so the Conservatives will always win, put the vote of no confidence motion up to 55% and have 5 year fixed terms. All in exchange for a REFERENDUM (that's right, just a referendum!) on AV. Somehow I think the Lib Dems got suckered majorly.

Is there a link to an article on this anywhere?  The word "gerrymander" is a very sexy word on this forum, and we want more!  Smiley

Addendum: Oh, now that I have read the intervening posts ... no fun at all. What a disappointment. Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies