Should property taxes be abolished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should property taxes be abolished?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Should property taxes be abolished?  (Read 1928 times)
Mint
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »

No but ideally they'd be changed so that the land itself is taxed as opposed to any improvements you make or anything productive like that.
^^^^^^
Pretty much this.

Ideally I would like to see all taxation replaced by a land values tax instead of such crazy ideas like the Flat Tax or "Fairtax".

How would that ever work in practice? How can you value land independently of what is done with it? Remember, in Europe, pretty much the entire landscape is man-made, through irrigation and such.

It's not that hard to do. For example, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg instituted 2 separate property taxes (building value & land) to increase productivity/clear vacant space:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1316/is_n10_v29/ai_19898072/pg_3/?tag=content%3Bcol1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Reed#As_Mayor

Basically they calculate it based on variables like existing rental and sales in the area.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »

I wonder why this isn't in the economic forum?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »

Of course and that silly mortgage deduction rule should be abolished.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2010, 05:30:55 PM by HoffmanJohn »

No but ideally they'd be changed so that the land itself is taxed as opposed to any improvements you make or anything productive like that.
^^^^^^
Pretty much this.

Ideally I would like to see all taxation replaced by a land values tax instead of such crazy ideas like the Flat Tax or "Fairtax".

How would that ever work in practice? How can you value land independently of what is done with it? Remember, in Europe, pretty much the entire landscape is man-made, through irrigation and such.

The LVT is an idea that has been around since the Physiocrats first suggested it which is rather funny because they often over emphasized the value of land. Thankfully Adam Smith set them strait when he published the wealth of nations.

The Physiocrats were often convinced of their own metaphysical claims and routinely suggest that ordre naturel should be the intellectual lens in which the realm of economics should be viewed through. From this the Physiocrats divided the economic classes as such.
1.The productive class being the farmers and agriculture laborers
2.The Unproductive class being the merchants, Industrial laborers, and artisans.
3.Finally the class which exploited these two were considered parasites because they charged rent.

The most interesting thing about these folks is that many of their metaphyisical derived principles can still be found in modern economics today. For example these guys did believe in an equilibrium once income started to flow unhindered in-between sectors, today a derivative of this can be found through out keynsian and Neoclassical theory. This is not very surprising though, and especially so since Adam Smith learned much from these french mystics of the 1760s.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »

Yes the physiocrats were very philosophical and I don't differ from them on much.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 06:36:13 AM »

Ha ha. SC Public Schools aren't being adequately funded with Property Taxes, it would be altogether humorous and incredibly depressing to see what would happen without them.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »

^^^^^^
Pretty much this.

It's not that hard to do. For example, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg instituted 2 separate property taxes (building value & land) to increase productivity/clear vacant space:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1316/is_n10_v29/ai_19898072/pg_3/?tag=content%3Bcol1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Reed#As_Mayor

Basically they calculate it based on variables like existing rental and sales in the area.

I suppose you can motivate it pragmatically. It will still be unlikely to be correct though. To me it seems a bit arbitrary because I don't see how you could reasonable draw a clear line. Does removing stones from a field count as an improvement, for instance? It would certainly increase the value of the land.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »

I am in favour of narrowing inheritance tax to inheritances over £1,000,000 in value.

I also strongly support LVT.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 11:03:20 AM »

Yes the physiocrats were very philosophical and I don't differ from them on much.

The Pysiocrats were right 50% of the time when it comes to economics, and were also 50% wrong when it comes to economics as well.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 09:35:15 PM »

The Pysiocrats were right 50% of the time when it comes to economics, and were also 50% wrong when it comes to economics as well.

In which ways do you agree or differ from them?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies