Fedgov Trying to Steal Family Farm in VT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:14:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fedgov Trying to Steal Family Farm in VT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fedgov Trying to Steal Family Farm in VT  (Read 2658 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »

IT’S YOUR LAND:Fighting for the Family Farm

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The limits of fedgov's audacity seem to know no bounds. Remember Americans, you own no property, it's fedgov's whenever it wants it.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »

Alright
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »

So you have no objections?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »

We hear eminent domain stories all the time......
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »

I read this and thought by Fedgov you meant some Russian man.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »

Where's the constitutional beef?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »

I don't see the problem. Huh

Also, is "fedgov" really a commonly used colloquialism?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 12:28:42 PM »

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. The government coming to steal the family farm your family has owned and worked for generations? Big deal, welcome to the U.S.S.A.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 12:30:48 PM »

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. The government coming to steal the family farm your family has owned and worked for generations? Big deal, welcome to the U.S.S.A.

Libertas, once again, eminent domain stories are dime a dozen.  I don't always agree with its use, but this isn't news, is it?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »

Is eminent domain as a whole bothering you, or this particular case of its use?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »

I'm not expert on the concept of eminent domain under US law, by any means, but, as was said, I was under the impression it was relatively common for stuff like this to happen.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »

I feel for the Rainvilles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that eminent domain is supposed to be used for.  Now if the government were using it get the land to build a shopping center for Canadians taking advantage of the strong loonie, I'd be upset, but not with an expanded border station.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »

I feel for the Rainvilles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that eminent domain is supposed to be used for.  Now if the government were using it get the land to build a shopping center for Canadians taking advantage of the strong loonie, I'd be upset, but not with an expanded border station.

So you think stealing a family farm to build some government police station is justified?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 01:23:48 PM »

This is nowhere near as nauseating as the case from Rhode Island a few years back. The house my dad grew up in was torn down to expand I-240. The owners were compensated. Stuff happens.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »

So you think stealing a family farm to build some government police station is justified?

It's perfectly constitutional.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2010, 01:29:49 PM by King »

I feel for the Rainvilles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that eminent domain is supposed to be used for.  Now if the government were using it get the land to build a shopping center for Canadians taking advantage of the strong loonie, I'd be upset, but not with an expanded border station.

For the last time YES.

You don't have to keep drawing it out after every "there's nothing wrong with this."

$39,500 an acre is probably a lot more than that struggling old farm is worth.  If anything, these guys are stealing from the government.

Please go read the Constitution before you use it to defend things that defy it.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »

I feel for the Rainvilles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that eminent domain is supposed to be used for.  Now if the government were using it get the land to build a shopping center for Canadians taking advantage of the strong loonie, I'd be upset, but not with an expanded border station.

For the last time YES.

You don't have to keep drawing it out after every "there's nothing wrong with this."

$39,500 an acre is probably a lot more than that struggling old farm is worth.  If anything, these guys are stealing from the government.

Please go read the Constitution before you use it to defend things that defy it.

That is a disgusting sentiment. Perhaps they will come for your property next.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »

For the last time YES.

$39,500 an acre is probably a lot more than that struggling old farm is worth.  If anything, these guys are stealing from the government.

As long as you are being compensated, who cares? Now of course a lot of these places have special attachments to people and that cannot be paid off by the government. So yeah, it's not a black or white issue. But usually if the owners are compensated properly, I don't mind.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »

Like Ernest said, this is a perfect example of the purpose of eminent domain, a power given to the federal government by the constitution you profess to love so much.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »

For the last time YES.

$39,500 an acre is probably a lot more than that struggling old farm is worth.  If anything, these guys are stealing from the government.

As long as you are being compensated, who cares? Now of course a lot of these places have special attachments to people and that cannot be paid off by the government. So yeah, it's not a black or white issue. But usually if the owners are compensated properly, I don't mind.

When a robber robs you, it doesn't matter that he gives you something else to take away that you valued less than what was stolen.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »

For the last time YES.

When a robber robs you, it doesn't matter that he gives you something else to take away that you valued less than what was stolen.

A robber usually gives you something in exchange? Do you even live in the real world?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »

For the last time YES.

A robber usually gives you something in exchange? Do you even live in the real world?

Roll Eyes
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »

For the last time YES.

Are we to conclude from this that you're opposed to eminent domain on principle?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »

For the last time YES.

Are we to conclude from this that you're opposed to eminent domain on principle?

I'm pretty much opposed to armed robbery as a matter of principle, yes.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »

Exactly.  People only bitch about it when it happens to them and then fanatics use it as "proof" eminent domain is abusive and "unconstitutional".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies