The war on Sudafed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:32:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The war on Sudafed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is the war on Sudafed stupid?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: The war on Sudafed  (Read 2400 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:15:28 AM »

Is anybody floored by the absolute stupidity of the right-wingers' war on Sudafed?

What I'm talking about here is the laws that have passed over the past 5 years or so that limit the amount of pseudoephedrine allergy drugs you can buy. Now right-wing lawmakers are trying to make it available by prescription only - in the name of fighting meth.

These laws have been an absolute failure. Meth is more out of control than ever, and prescriptions aren't meant to fight secondary abuses like this anyway.

More proof that our fascist lawmakers just don't think - or their brains are fried, so they can't think.

The whole War on Drugs is a failure, yet it keeps expanding.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:16:35 AM »

Uh huh, so only "right-wingers" support these nanny state policies?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:18:28 AM »

By very definition, this law is right-wing.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 02:22:40 AM »

By very definition, this law is right-wing.

I'm not seeing how that is the case, sorry. It weakens your whole argument to try to make this into a "left-wing" vs. "right-wing" issue.

This is a battle between the forces of individual freedom and the forces of government power.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:17:37 AM »

I'm guessing if pot were legal there would be a lot fewer methheads.  Great reason number 4 why pot should be legal.  Meth is a horrible drug.  White people crack.

Yes, the war on Sudafed is stupid.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:10:23 AM »

I'm guessing if pot were legal there would be a lot fewer methheads.  Great reason number 4 why pot should be legal.  Meth is a horrible drug.  White people crack.

Yes, the war on Sudafed is stupid.

Why would pot being legal bring down meth use? The two are completely different, it's not as though pot would provide the same high as meth. An addict would still want it and the market would likely stay the same as such.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:19:56 AM »

It's not going to stop those already addicted, but it could slow down the rate of new users of meth.  Why go to the diry mobile home park to get meth from some toothless ape man when you can get a pack of pot cigs from the same place you get gas and beer?

Or not.  I don't understand meth users.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »

I'd heard that a lot of meth production had moved to Mexico from the U.S., which would indicate the war on Sudafed hasn't been pointless.

I bought some earlier this week because I have a cold. I went to the pharmacy counter at CVS, they scanned my driver's license barcode, and I signed on the cardswipe device. It was really easy, much less trouble than the old sign-in book. I don't see the problem in controlling this substance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »

Meth should be legalized.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 10:42:32 AM »

I'd heard that a lot of meth production had moved to Mexico from the U.S., which would indicate the war on Sudafed hasn't been pointless.

I bought some earlier this week because I have a cold. I went to the pharmacy counter at CVS, they scanned my driver's license barcode, and I signed on the cardswipe device. It was really easy, much less trouble than the old sign-in book. I don't see the problem in controlling this substance.

This fascist law inconveniences innocent buyers of Sudafed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »

This fascist law inconveniences innocent buyers of Sudafed.

It makes me cry that you wrote that right below where I explained that it's no inconvenience at all.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »

It makes me cry that you wrote that right below where I explained that it's no inconvenience at all.

Then cry all you want to, because this law is an inconvenience.

The only people punished by it are the innocent.

Whoever came up with the idea for this law ought to be impeached.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:20 AM »

I think it's a silly law too.......as I use Claritin D and yep, scan of the license and  a sig for me too.

Like, brittain33, I don't find the process too inconvenient with the new scanners.

Interestingly enough pseudophedrine theft is numero uno after cash in pharmacies I know of.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »

Then cry all you want to, because this law is an inconvenience.

Sorry, I missed that by "this law" you meant a proposal to make it prescription-only. Yeah, I disagree with that should it come to pass.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »

Why in the Wide, Wide World Of Sports hasn't the government been sued yet over this law?

So far, it's only been used to prosecute parents of sick kids and elderly grandmothers with allergies.
perdedor

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »

Agreed. Along with every other vile substance the government attempts to regulate. Prohibition creates an environment that fosters violence and gang warfare. Unfortunately, the standard American conservative definition of 'personal responsibility' doesn't apply to non-fiscal issues.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »

Actually, the one state that has had the most success in cutting down on meth labs is Oregon, which has a prescription only law.  It's not meth use, but the meth labs that are the real problem here, and unless we legalize meth, going to prescription-only for Sudafed is the best option available to rid ourselves of the toxic waste dumps known as meth labs.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »

Actually, the one state that has had the most success in cutting down on meth labs is Oregon, which has a prescription only law.  It's not meth use, but the meth labs that are the real problem here, and unless we legalize meth, going to prescription-only for Sudafed is the best option available to rid ourselves of the toxic waste dumps known as meth labs.

Oregon has seen more meth labs and drug abuse since the prescription requirement was enacted.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »

Oregon has seen more meth labs and drug abuse since the prescription requirement was enacted.

Do either of you have a credible statistical source to back your claims here? Unless you do, you're just going to argue back and forth.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »

I just can't believe 38.5% of you support expanding the drug war. I expected it to be close to 0%.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »

I just can't believe 38.5% of you support expanding the drug war. I expected it to be close to 0%.

Keep in mind that forum polls aren't always accurate and some people might be just be answering one way to piss you off.

Also, keep in mind that some people will view legalizing pot and legalizing meth as two different issues. Meth is more than a small amount more dangerous than marijuana, so even some people who want to legalize pot might still want to fight against meth and other hard drugs.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »

Also, keep in mind that some people will view legalizing pot and legalizing meth as two different issues. Meth is more than a small amount more dangerous than marijuana, so even some people who want to legalize pot might still want to fight against meth and other hard drugs.

I'm not saying meth is good. Not by any means.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »

I agree with Bandit here. Meth should be legalized. I imagine the number of meth labs would probably decrease since it would probably no longer be as lucrative as it is now.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »

I'm not saying meth is good. Not by any means.

I never said you did. All I'm saying is that some people hold it to a different standard since it's quite a destructive drug.

I'm rather on the fence in regards to legalizing meth because of that. On principle I would support legalizing it, but my understanding of how addictive and destructive it is kind of makes it seem like something that wouldn't be ethical to sell to humans knowing what it would do to them. In regards to going after Sudafed and other over the counter items, I don't now how effective that would really be - statistics on the states that do go after it would be good if we could get some accurate ones. Suffice to say I have doubts, but I've been wrong before.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2010, 03:39:07 PM by True Federalist »

Do either of you have a credible statistical source to back your claims here? Unless you do, you're just going to argue back and forth.

http://www.oregondec.org/OregonMethLabStats.pdf (Original link had data 2003-2008, revised link adds 2009 data.)

It doesn't speak to meth use, since meth can be imported from other States where it is easier to manufacture, but meth lab incidents in Oregon have gone from averaging 40 a month when there were no restrictions to 20 a month once they required a picture ID to 10 a month once they starting logging those purchases to less than 2 a month since they have been requiring prescriptions.  While restricting Sudafed likely has a minimal effect on meth use, it has a very demonstrable effect on having to clean up after the toxic waste dumps that meth labs are.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies