“The stock market has forecast nine of the last five recessions”.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:19:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  “The stock market has forecast nine of the last five recessions”.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: “The stock market has forecast nine of the last five recessions”.  (Read 1937 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »

Qoute by Paul A. Samuelson.

I find this to be rather interesting but I am not very familiar with the history of the stock market, does anyone want to inform me?
WillK

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »

I find this to be rather interesting but I am not very familiar with the history of the stock market, does anyone want to inform me?

Some people think that movements in the stock market are predictive of whats coming.
Samuelson was making fun of that view.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »

Some people think that movements in the stock market are predictive of whats coming.

Even a better predictor. Of the past 10 recessions, 9 were preceded by increases in oil prices.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »

It wasn't that general. Samuelson was making fun of the doom and gloom people start predicting when the stock market declines. He was saying that the stock market randomly declines almost as often as it declines coinciding with actual economic problems.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:28:46 PM »

It wasn't that general. Samuelson was making fun of the doom and gloom people start predicting when the stock market declines. He was saying that the stock market randomly declines almost as often as it declines coinciding with actual economic problems.

There are a good number of stocks that do track the business cycle with some lag.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »

180% is a pretty good batting percentage, but there may be something wrong with that statistic.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »

Well, I know the stock market predicted a recession in 1987. When else did it fail?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2010, 07:48:18 PM by phknrocket1k »

Well, I know the stock market predicted a recession in 1987. When else did it fail?

It's all a game of testing correlations of time series data.

You could likely create your own index of stocks you think tend to track the business cycle. Than extend the data out for the past and than see how well the time series predicts GDP and follows the business cycle.

I'm not sure what good stocks their are but I would heavily weight it for retail stores such as Target.

Depending upon the brand quality of the company, you should look for companies who produce or sell goods that are mostly considered "normal goods". I hypothesize that a luxury brand might be more prone to excessive volatility and that a inferior brand might be negatively correlated with the business cycle.

Edit: Maybe some futures would help.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:48:08 PM »

The stock market isn't exactly reliable.  Especially now that we have everything electronic and we're watching everything in the stock market constantly.  Just look at the recent Procter and Gamble incident from earlier in May - the typing of the wrong character caused the Dow to go crazy.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 03:59:01 AM »

Actually, it didn't. People thought there would be meltdown and depression. But growth continued until a minor recession in 1990.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:18:51 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2010, 08:20:35 PM by Mr.Phips »

I know the stock market drop in 1962 didnt forshadow a recession, nor did the drop that lasted from mid 1965 through mid 1966.  From looking at this chart, the market has been pretty good at predicting recessions.  A significant and sustained drop usually signals that a recession is about six months to 18 months away.  If the DJIA is still below 10,000 by the end of the year, there is a decent chance that we will be in another recession by mid next year. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies