Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 13, 2016, 08:47:20 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  After FDR which president had the most big business opposition?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: After FDR which president had the most big business opposition?  (Read 939 times)
King of Kensington
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2016, 12:28:40 am »
Ignore

FDR obviously was the most bitterly opposed by business interests (unless there's some obscure 19th century figure I'm missing). 

After FDR, which president was next?  Was it Truman?  Teddy Roosevelt?
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:36:32 pm »
Ignore

William Jennings Bryan comes to mind right away.  I don't think businesses (besides the ones being broken up!) really hated Teddy as much as history is remembering, from what I read.  After all, it's pretty non-debatable that he was their most pro-business option in 1912.

Anyway, Truman is another obvious answer, especially with his opponent being Dewey.  I also remember reading that the reason business interests were so heavily behind Harding (other than his rather pro-business platform) was they absolutely despised Wilson.

I'm pretty sure business interests heavily backed Grant in both 1868 and 1872, and (get ready, forum) business interests were pretty heavily behind Lincoln in 1864 (though they largely avoided endorsing anyone in 1860).

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President
buritobr
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:43:37 pm »
Ignore

Sorry for the Godwin's Law, but the German stock markets went up on January 30th 1933

Teddy Roosevelt was before FDR. If businesses don't like policies it's usually a sign that they're bad policies. Unless you think all business is bad and out to get you.
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:17:20 pm »
Ignore

Anyone else seen, heard or read anything on the subject?  I'd imagine other than Roosevelt and Taft, big business has been pretty okay with most Republicans.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 09:57:35 pm »
Ignore

Truman.

"You are the people who pay the taxes and obey the law. You are the people who make America what it is!Ö It is from your ranks I come, and on your side I stand!" - Gerald Ford

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Californian Tony Returns
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 03:13:39 am »
Ignore

Jackson.

"Never before in all our history have these forces [of organized money] been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for meóand I welcome their hatred."

-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
President Johnson
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 03:50:24 pm »
Ignore

Truman and TR.

Progressive. Liberal. Fiscal conservative.

I donít know how you make anybody watch, okay? Because you just have to close your eyes - Tom Corbett

2016 Democratic choice:

2016 Republican choice:
Rockefeller GOP
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 01:06:57 am »
Ignore

Jackson.

Yep.  A lot of modern progressives have disowned him due to his unfortunate views and actions on race, but he really took on business interests HARD.

"That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence built"

- Abraham Lincoln

Economic: +1.94
Social: -2.96
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout