Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2017, 02:05:30 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  The Myth? of the clean Marshall Erwin Rommel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Myth? of the clean Marshall Erwin Rommel  (Read 57 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2017, 10:11:03 pm »
Ignore

Erwin Rommel was considered a clean general even by Western military. But he fought only in the western front. The Third Reich conducted a clean war in the west and a dirty war in the east. Some generals were clean in the west and dirty in the east. We don't know what would happen if Rommel were sent to the east. Maybe he could refuse to participate in the atrocities. Or not. We don't know.
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:15:09 pm »
Ignore

Rommel was an honorable man. I doubt that I, myself, would have done any better than him. I challenge anyone to say they would have been more ethical and moral than Rommel in his shoes.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:41:36 am »
Ignore

I try not to judge Germans who weren't directly complicit in genocide TOO harshly ... don't get me wrong, they were absolutely in the wrong, and they need to live with the fact that they didn't stand up to the Reich, but I am a blonde haired, blue(-green) eyed male with German ancestry and a very German name ... I'm not sure I'd have the courage to not just go along with things and keep my family safe.

Most people have judged him relative to being a Nazi general, and I think that's largely fair.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:40:34 pm »
Ignore

I try not to judge Germans who weren't directly complicit in genocide TOO harshly ... don't get me wrong, they were absolutely in the wrong, and they need to live with the fact that they didn't stand up to the Reich, but I am a blonde haired, blue(-green) eyed male with German ancestry and a very German name ... I'm not sure I'd have the courage to not just go along with things and keep my family safe.

Most people have judged him relative to being a Nazi general, and I think that's largely fair.
indeed

If you're regular ol' Hans 6 Pack and get drafted in 1938 to shoot at Russians, Poles and Frenchies you go shoot at Russians, Poles and Frenchies.  This does not make one a bad person (or even "wrong").  Now, if you rape a bunch of people when you're not shooting then you're wrong.

accept no imitations

(unless you post at the toxic place)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout