Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 06:25:56 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you  (Read 1457 times)
Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 08:17:52 pm »
Ignore

Something which has interested me is Nationalism's relationship to the left-right political spectrum. We all know that is a very simplistic way to schematize ideology, but it's not without its benefits. To me, it seems like Nationalism emerged on what was the left in the late 18th century, but over the 19th century moved to the right, until by World War 1 nationalism was obviously a right-wing position. I'd be interested in hearing your take on why that happened (if you agree with the premise of course).
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 02:47:47 pm »
Ignore

Bouncing off your answer on Algeria, was there any chance of a France-Algeria solution mirroring that of Spain and Morocco today (a few coastal enclaves like Oran being part of metropolitan France, the rest being part of an independent Algeria)?

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 03:51:51 pm »
Ignore

Hamster, sorry I haven't gotten around to a serious answer to your question, will post tonight.

Snowstalker: I don't think that was ever seriously proposed.  It would have had some really bizarre implications on French politics, though: over a million pieds noirs in electoral areas without Metropolitan French voters to cancel them out.  I could well see Oran going 80% for the FN in a modern election in that setup.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 09:38:59 pm »
Ignore

In your view, why has the Saudi government, i.e. the House of Saud, not been overthrown, and replaced by a more modern government, one in which a family does not own the country?

The family, in essence, owns all the wealth.

Is it because the government keeps the citizens in a good standard of living?

The days when a family rules a nation is a concept from the middle ages.

WORST PRESIDENT SINCE WORLD WAR II
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout