Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2016, 07:33:38 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Academic research idea - Thurmond & Wallace
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Academic research idea - Thurmond & Wallace  (Read 143 times)
AuH2O Republican
United Kingdom

P
View Profile
« on: May 25, 2016, 06:05:40 am »
Ignore

Hi all. Wasn't entirely sure where to put this, so if it needs to be moved please do.

I completed an MA a few years ago in US History and Politics, and my only regret was that I did my thesis on Richard Nixon's relationship with the GOP whilst Vice President. My original idea, which I put to one side, was a comparison of Strom Thurmond's and George Wallace's third party bids for the presidency, in the context of both Southern resistance and third party politics.

I have now been thinking of taking this up a level and look at MPhil/PhD research into this. I was just hoping to get some thoughts, tips, insights, recommended sources etc from a community which seems to be very well informed.

Thank you :-)

Current Endorsements:

- President: none
- KY-Senate: Rand Paul (R)
Northeast Assemblyman Kingpoleon
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:31:30 pm »
Ignore

Keep in mind Thurmond was just a normal Southern Democrat who managed to essentially become the party boss/leader of the Deep South by sheer will and work. Wallace, on the other hand, was a firebrand upstart who attempted to become the Southern Democrats' leader time after time and flip-flopped pretty often.

"You are the people who pay the taxes and obey the law. You are the people who make America what it is! It is from your ranks I come, and on your side I stand!" - Gerald Ford

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:49:27 am »

Also, keep in mind that one reason Thurmond was available to take up the banner of States Rights so prominently is that at the time the Governor of South Carolina had very little to do once the General Assembly finished its session.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
June 14th Democratic Primary Ballot
U.S. House 2: Arik Bjorn
Richland Sheriff: Leon Lott
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout