Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:41:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War  (Read 2020 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »

I plan on joining the Sons of Confederate Veterans at some point.  One of my ancestors was General Ambrose Powell Hill and another was a Maryland planter who ran to VA to join the Confederacy.

Ah, AP Hill, you know how he died, no need to remind you. Wink What's interesting is that at one point in the war the 1st MD CSA and the 1st MD USA faced off.

Culp's Hill, Gettysburg?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »

I'm actually a direct descendant of a commander of the Army of the Potomac

Which one, P.G.T. Beauregard or Joseph E. Johnston? Wink There was a Confederate Army of the Potomac early in the war.

<g> That's right, I'd totally forgotten about that.

McDowell, McClellan, Burnside, Hooker, or Meade?

Modesty (and maintaining fourm aninimity) prevents me from saying. Wink Suffice to say it's one of them and no bs I promise.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »

My strong educated guess is Grant. Born in Ohio, had issue, and took command of the Army of the Potomac. If so, it must be gratifying to Badger to see Grant's stock rise so much in the eyes of historians in recent years, including a quite favorable recent biography of him, as well as a highly favorable TV documentary that I saw recently.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »

My strong educated guess is Grant. Born in Ohio, had issue, and took command of the Army of the Potomac. If so, it must be gratifying to Badger to see Grant's stock rise so much in the eyes of historians in recent years, including a quite favorable recent biography of him, as well as a highly favorable TV documentary that I saw recently.

McDowell, McClellan, Burnside, Hooker, or Meade?

Modesty (and maintaining fourm aninimity) prevents me from saying. Wink Suffice to say it's one of them and no bs I promise.
[/quote]

Grant's not on the list, Torie. Wink Technically Grant was never Commander of the Army of the Potomac. Meade retained that role even whien Grant was elevated to overall Union commander.

Besides, remember I was born and raised in Pittsburgh (not that that would help in the guess here). Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »

Post your pic.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »

That won't help either Wink, (but my youngest uncle's photo, only about 5 years older then me actually would, but that's another story).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 05:16:42 PM »

OK Badger, and I won't ask you privately either. Smiley  Gosh, I hate it when the detective side of my brain, comes up empty. And I am a pretty good detective actually I think. Several internet articles said he was commander of the Army of the Potomac, which just goes to show, that sometimes stuff on the internet is not entirely true. Shocking!  Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »

My Guess would be Meade or Parke, as both were Pennsylvanians.  Since Meade's appearance is well known, I'd guess Meade.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »

My Guess would be Meade or Parke, as both were Pennsylvanians.  Since Meade's appearance is well known, I'd guess Meade.

Who's Parke?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »

Who's Parke?

He was the acting commander when Meade was away; he was from Coatesville.

Meade, correct?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »

Who's Parke?

Meade, correct?

Interesting. I'd never heard of Parke

And, sorry, I'm not telling who it is. Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 06:24:02 PM »

I'm a direct descendant of a Civil War veteran (along the paternal line even). Same case with the Revolutionary War.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 07:07:34 PM »

No Civil War ancestors, but I do have Revolutionary War ancestors who felt a strong need to move North to Canada for safety's sake afterward, which is why I have no Civil War ancestors.  They were still up in Canada West during that conflict.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 07:39:47 PM »

I'm a direct descendant of a Civil War veteran (along the paternal line even). Same case with the Revolutionary War.

Actually, I have a direct ancestor in the American Revolution as well.  I think he has something like 7,000-15,000 descendants; he had 10 kids.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 09:02:48 PM »

Actually, I have a direct ancestor in the American Revolution as well.  I think he has something like 7,000-15,000 descendants; he had 10 kids.

Only 10?  Pansy Wink

My record for direct ancestors is at 13 (and it was a husband-wife duo, no less; no remarriage included).  I have a great-great-great-great-uncle who had 25, with a remarriage in there (13 by the first, 12 by the second).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »

Who's Parke?

Meade, correct?

Interesting. I'd never heard of Parke

And, sorry, I'm not telling who it is. Wink

Hopefully it was McClellan, he was the best general the AoP had as he built the army that won the war in the east. My wife is on the same line of Lee.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 01:04:57 AM »

Only 10?  Pansy Wink

My record for direct ancestors is at 13 (and it was a husband-wife duo, no less; no remarriage included).  I have a great-great-great-great-uncle who had 25, with a remarriage in there (13 by the first, 12 by the second).

I have another 4th great grandfather who had in excess of ten children, with one woman.  She left 200 living descendants when she died 1841, at 92.  His veteran's status is questionable.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies