House Approves Millions in Aid to Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:36:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  House Approves Millions in Aid to Israel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House Approves Millions in Aid to Israel  (Read 1139 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:37:15 AM »

By a 410-4 margin, the House approved a measure that would provide $205 million in military aid for Israel.  Only one Republican - Ron Paul - voted against it.  So much for "fiscal responsibility."

Link
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 02:12:06 AM »

Good for Dr Paul.  I'm glad they (Israel) will be a little safer from the Iranian backed jerks in Gaza and Southern Lebanon, but there is no way in hell we should be paying for it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 02:54:10 AM »

Curious, what was the vote for aid to Egypt or Saudi Arabia?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 06:16:17 AM »

Egypt does pretty well for itself when it comes to aid from the US.link
USAID to Egypt 
1975-2006 2006 Budget
Helping the economy     $14.4 billion
Education                      $911 million 
Health, family planning  $872 milion
Infrastructure                $5.6 billion   
Democracy, governance $1 billion 

They are getting their largest numbers ever this year with a total of $1.75billion link

S.Arabia has plenty of money and neither they nor Egypt are recieving daily rocket attacks from Iranian puppets.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:01:10 AM »

Good for Dr Paul.  I'm glad they (Israel) will be a little safer from the Iranian backed jerks in Gaza and Southern Lebanon, but there is no way in hell we should be paying for it.

Yeah, Israel clearly needs money to rule that conflict against the mighty 'Muslim Army'.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »

Out of curioisty, what is the current and historical amounts of aid that the U.S. gives/gave to the Palestinain Authority? Is it possible to get data for each year in particular?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »

Out of curioisty, what is the current and historical amounts of aid that the U.S. gives/gave to the Palestinain Authority? Is it possible to get data for each year in particular?
From the second link in my previous post...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »

Yeah, Israel clearly needs money to rule that conflict against the mighty 'Muslim Army'.
What should they do to stop the rocket attacks?  They can't invade every time a whack job with an Iranian missile tries to start sh**t again (daily), too costly in terms of money and international PR.  Taking over Gaza slowed them down a lot, leaving Gaza didn't help.  Invading Lebanon didn't stop them, leaving Lebanon didn't stop them.  Obviously Israel has the ability to invade any of their neighbors, but I don't think anybody thinks thats the best answer. 

What is your answer to stop the rocket attacks?  A missile shield (which, as you may recall, I said the US should NOT pay for in my first post) is probably their best bet at this point, you don't seem to agree.
rob in cal
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »

Foreign aid to any wealthy country, especially to a country like Israel founded by people who are very successful wherever they are in becoming wealthy, reminds me of a few simple phrases, 1) the rich get richer 2) rooting for Bill Gates to win the lottery, and 3) subisidizing housing in Malibu or Bel Air.
Even a former Israeli prime minister (I believe it was Netanyahu) once wrote an article, in the 90's, calling for less US aid as it was leading to, IIRC, a welfare mentality and distorting the Israeli economy.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »

Hm...

A nation with a life expectancy greater than ours with a developed economy needs aid?

Look, I know they're an ally, but it's completely ridiculous for them to need money from us.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 05:12:58 PM »

Hm...

A nation with a life expectancy greater than ours with a developed economy needs aid?

Look, I know they're an ally, but it's completely ridiculous for them to need money from us.

Why can't France, the UK, or you know... Greece get any? Tongue
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »

Hm...

Why can't France, the UK, or you know... Greece get any? Tongue

They should be able to get some, as long as it comes from the pockets of rich Americans.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »

What should they do to stop the rocket attacks?  They can't invade every time a whack job with an Iranian missile tries to start sh**t again (daily), too costly in terms of money and international PR.  Taking over Gaza slowed them down a lot, leaving Gaza didn't help.  Invading Lebanon didn't stop them, leaving Lebanon didn't stop them.  Obviously Israel has the ability to invade any of their neighbors, but I don't think anybody thinks thats the best answer. 

What is your answer to stop the rocket attacks?  A missile shield (which, as you may recall, I said the US should NOT pay for in my first post) is probably their best bet at this point, you don't seem to agree.

My point was kinda what has been said in the last posts of this thread. Do Israel needs money? And especially does it need it compared to what? A bunch of guys with rockets? Do Israel and its army needs money here? If Israel is not able correctly use its military credits by counter-productive (not to say sometimes criminal to heavily criminal) operations, instead of elaborating a good defense system, that's their problem, but do they really need more credits? Is that the problem there? Not sure that spoiling a spoil kid leads to interesting results, spoiling it in term of credits, or even psychologically as you do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »

And, if you haven't noticed, I agree and have agreed since my first post.  Which is why I found it odd that you went all "sarcasm" on me because I showed happiness that Israel would be bit safer in spite of my reservations about paying for it.

I guess you don't have an answer to stop the rocket attacks either?  A lot of very smart people have been thinking on the issue for decades and haven't come up with anything so don't feel too bad.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 02:22:53 PM »

And, if you haven't noticed, I agree and have agreed since my first post.  Which is why I found it odd that you went all "sarcasm" on me because I showed happiness that Israel would be bit safer in spite of my reservations about paying for it.

I guess you don't have an answer to stop the rocket attacks either?  A lot of very smart people have been thinking on the issue for decades and haven't come up with anything so don't feel too bad.

Well, .k, but being glad of the fact they could do something of these credits is a bit like legitimating these credits, unless I miss something too subtle to me, and not sure it's a good thing they are given more, they have to better manage what they already have, especially when we know how 'mighty' are their opponents compared to them in term of credits/means.

I never went on 'how to rule rocket attacks', just saying it's a bad move to spoil a spoil kid, it doesn't encourage them to be responsible, especially when we know all the bad moves they recently did.

Other than that, well, if that can rule the rocket attacks, .k, why not after all, but that's a bit like the wall, it doesn't encourage political diplomacy, it doesn't help to find a solution.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »

if it is a loan than we are being responsible in the fiscal sense.

In any event the original poster mentions Ron Paul, and thus I am going to have mention that the posters Messiah always picks on Israel Aid, but never Aid to another country. Thus why does Ron paul obsess with aid to Israel and not just other countries?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

if it is a loan than we are being responsible in the fiscal sense.

In any event the original poster mentions Ron Paul, and thus I am going to have mention that the posters Messiah always picks on Israel Aid, but never Aid to another country. Thus why does Ron paul obsess with aid to Israel and not just other countries?

Ron Paul opposes all foreign aid.  His beef with Israel is the way the United States treats it like the 51st State.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies