Why did Mccarthy run as indepdndant in 1976?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:49:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Mccarthy run as indepdndant in 1976?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Mccarthy run as indepdndant in 1976?  (Read 1665 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:36:30 PM »

Why did he run? He did not have support, hardly no money, and ran as a horrible campaign. So why did he run in the first place?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »

Because he thought both candidates were too conservative.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »

Ford and Carter, yea there's 2 conservatives lol. Possibly the most liberal of any 2 candidates to run for president in the same year.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »

Ford and Carter, yea there's 2 conservatives lol. Possibly the most liberal of any 2 candidates to run for president in the same year.

They were still too conservative for McCarthy's ultraliberal taste.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »

lol I know I wish we could've seen him run against Joseph McCarthy at some point.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »

lol I know I wish we could've seen him run against Joseph McCarthy at some point.

Seen who run? Ford?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »

Yes he was a liberal northeastern Republican like Rockefeller, Romney, and to a smaller extent Bush Sr.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 03:22:31 PM »

Yes he was a liberal northeastern Republican like Rockefeller, Romney, and to a smaller extent Bush Sr.

Romney and Bush Sr. aren't moderate (even though Bush Sr. was before 1980). And I agree, Ford would ahve easily beat McCarthy if McCarthy was the Democratic nominee.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »

Well yes Carter only won by Ohio like Bush did in 2004 from the maps I've seen. I thought Bush Sr. or would've thought Bush Sr. was extremely moderate and pragmatic. There's nothig wrong with that but nonetheless moderate. He raised taxes and didn't take out Saddam which I agree with the latter but those are centrist positions.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »

Well yes Carter only won by Ohio like Bush did in 2004 from the maps I've seen. I thought Bush Sr. or would've thought Bush Sr. was extremely moderate and pragmatic. There's nothig wrong with that but nonetheless moderate. He raised taxes and didn't take out Saddam which I agree with the latter but those are centrist positions.

No, Carter would have won without Ohio.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »

No, Carter would have won without Ohio.

You're right Ohio and Hawaii.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »

They were still too conservative for McCarthy's ultraliberal taste.

McCarthy wasn't that liberal, and I think he actually endorsed Reagan in 1980.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 09:49:41 PM »

Independent or Indepndant? Lol I'm just kidding with you.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 05:48:53 AM »

Well this is what wikipedia has to say. It's all I know really.

"After the 1972 campaign, he left the Democratic Party, and ran as an Independent candidate for President in the 1976 election. During that campaign, he took a libertarian stance on civil liberties, promised to create full employment by shortening the work week, came out in favor of nuclear disarmament, and declared whom he would nominate to various Cabinet postings if elected. Mainly, however, he battled ballot access laws that he deemed too restrictive and encouraged voters to reject the two-party system.[12]

His numerous legal battles during the course of the election, along with a strong grassroots effort in friendly states, allowed him to appear on the ballot in 30 states and eased ballot access for later third party candidates."

Don't mistake the Jimmy Carter of 1976 with the Jimmy Carter of today. He ran as a centrist in the Democratic nomination process. (Didn't really ever govern like one, though. At least not in foreign politics.)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »

Well this is what wikipedia has to say. It's all I know really.

"After the 1972 campaign, he left the Democratic Party, and ran as an Independent candidate for President in the 1976 election. During that campaign, he took a libertarian stance on civil liberties, promised to create full employment by shortening the work week, came out in favor of nuclear disarmament, and declared whom he would nominate to various Cabinet postings if elected. Mainly, however, he battled ballot access laws that he deemed too restrictive and encouraged voters to reject the two-party system.[12]

His numerous legal battles during the course of the election, along with a strong grassroots effort in friendly states, allowed him to appear on the ballot in 30 states and eased ballot access for later third party candidates."

Don't mistake the Jimmy Carter of 1976 with the Jimmy Carter of today. He ran as a centrist in the Democratic nomination process. (Didn't really ever govern like one, though. At least not in foreign politics.)

He did run as a centrist and since has become senile.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »

McCarthy greatly disliked Carter and the direction the Democratic Party was going in.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies