What are the philosophical foundations for liberalism/conservatism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:24:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What are the philosophical foundations for liberalism/conservatism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the philosophical foundations for liberalism/conservatism?  (Read 321 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »

I think both classical liberals, and modern liberals have the same goals in common,but their means to achieve liberty,freedom, justice, equality are somewhat different. I am guessing that their methods are different for practical, historical, and political reasons. In any event I am very familiar with both classical political philosophy and even its modern form. Thus I would be interested in what people in this forum think, and especially so if they can use various quotes from such philosophers.

rhetoric about "getting the government off our backs" makes the positive correlation between individual rights and state power difficult to comprehend. Better guidance comes from classic liberals, who insisted that, when organized constitutionally, liberty and authority can be mutually reinforcing. Consider David Hume's famous essay, "Of Commerce." In this classic defense of liberal political economy, Hume argues that Britain should deregulate commercial and industrial life and welcome the accumulation of private wealth, because such a system will increase the resources "to which the public may lay claim."
Stephen Holmes, "The Liberal Idea"
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »

GOP- small government on economics, big government on defense and morals
Dems- small government on defense and morals, big government on economics

There's alot more deeper of an answer but I'll be posting that tonight.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »

GOP- small government on economics, big government on defense and morals
Dems- small government on defense and morals, big government on economics

There's alot more deeper of an answer but I'll be posting that tonight.

Derek such things as big/small government are means to achieve an end. When thinking about a political ideology one should think of their goals first, and means as an afterthought. This is because many of these goals which could potentially "freedom,Justice, Liberty, and equality" are timeless. On the other hands the methods by which these things are achieved normally exist in a nominal sense(for example a mean for acquiring any form of justice now could be the courts, but in the future it might be judge dredd).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies