Andrew Cuomo's LG Choice?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:11:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Andrew Cuomo's LG Choice?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Andrew Cuomo's LG Choice?  (Read 1771 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »

Well, we have some frontrunners...

My choice is Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown or St. Sen. Andrea Stewart-Cousins.

Who do you think he will choose?! We will most surely find out tomorrow at the nomination but still...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »

I'd say Byron Brown.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »

I've read up on this a lot.  I predict it'll be someone who's not an elected official.  But here are some elected officials on this list:

As speculation swirls, a Cuomo LG short list
By JIMMY VIELKIND
ATU

With his announcement today that he will run for governor, the question befuddling New York politicos is exactly who Andrew Cuomo will pick as his lieutenant governor. A campaign spokesman declined to discuss the question, but here’s a short list based on conversations with a number of Democratic sources.

Denise O’Donnell. A former federal prosecutor and U.S. attorney from Buffalo, O’Donnell had served until this year as head of the Division of Criminal Justice Services. She resigned amid reports that Gov. David Paterson contacted a woman pursuing domestic violence charges against his aide. Several sources were puzzled when O’Donnell opted not to run for attorney general after her exit from the administration, and a prospective LG nod is one explanation. In addition to bona fides as a prosecutor and administrator, O’Donnell would bring gender and regional balance to the ticket.

A business or academic executive. Cuomo is making separation from the legislature to be a major theme of his campaign, and one source close to him said the search encompasses business and academic leaders. The thinking here is to find a proven administrator, someone who would be able to lead the state. I haven’t heard many specific names bandied about, and the thinking is that this kind of person would not have a very high public profile at the time of their nomination.Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings. That’s right, our very own mayor’s name has been floating around this week, but sources close to both him and Cuomo pop the trial balloon as quickly as it is inflated. Still, Jennings and Cuomo are long-time friends, and Jennings backed Cuomo in his failed 2002 gubernatorial run.

Rochester Mayor Robert Duffy. Duffy would bring regional balance to the ticket, and his name has long circulated as a possible pick by Cuomo. However, a source indicated the two have not had contact in some time. He announced in March he would not seek re-election. (Update: I misread something. Sorry about that.)

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown. Brown previously served in the state Senate, and was elected mayor in 2005. Several Democrats said that Cuomo had favored Brown earlier this year, but his star had fallen as he came under scrutiny for his distribution of development funds.

Christopher St. Lawrence. Not likely, but the Ramapo Town Supervisor has been out on the trail seeking the nomination for months. He’s under no illusions, though.

Bill Thompson. The former New York City comptroller and stronger-than-expected mayoral candidate has been mentioned for a spot on the ticket, but a source close to him said it’s highly unlikely. At one point, Thompson was mentioned as a natural pick for comptroller, given Cuomo’s lack of love for incumbent Tom DiNapoli.

Sen. Andrea Stewart-Cousins. The legislator from Westchester County won a hard-fought election in 2006, and has been mentioned. But she is an incumbent state senator — not the best resume point right now — and her seat would be competitive were she to leave it.

Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner. Several Democrats mentioned Miner’s name, but just as quickly dismissed her because of a lack of experience. They said Cuomo was interested in her initially because of her background (again, a woman from Onondaga County would provide gender and regional balance) and her previous work for Gov. Mario Cuomo, but felt that she couldn’t be plucked so soon after her November 2009 election.

Ulster County Executive Michael Hein. I heard Hein’s name mentioned a few times, with Democrats noting that his record as an executive dovetails well with Cuomo’s platform.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »

Based on Lunar's article, I'd say O'Donnell.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:54:18 PM »

ehhhhhhhhhhhh.  I'd be surprised if that happened.  She certainly would be thrilled,
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »

ehhhhhhhhhhhh.  I'd be surprised if that happened.  She certainly would be thrilled,

So then who do you think?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:48:01 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2010, 07:02:13 AM by Lunar »

it's Duffy, mayor of Rochester
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »

An all Catholic ticket?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 07:22:01 AM »

Well, it depends who wins the AG's race, where there are two Jewish contenders and three Catholic ones.  But no, it doesn't appear that the Democrats will be running a Protestant in any of their statewide races.

And there's going to be Schumer spending $20m to let New Yorkers know he's still around.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 08:41:48 AM »

It's Duffy.  (yawns)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »

I would've supported Eliot Spitzer.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:32:55 AM »

Makes sense.  It should be someone from Upstate New York to balance the ticket.  And someone who's not in Albany to avoid the appearance of insiderness. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »

Dede Scozzafava for LG!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 09:16:02 PM »

Makes sense.  It should be someone from Upstate New York to balance the ticket.  And someone who's not in Albany to avoid the appearance of insiderness. 

A lot of Democrats of color are bothered by the snow white Democratic ticket, up and down the statewide races (including all 5 AG candidates and U.S. Senate).  People like Ruben Diaz were really pulling for Byron Brown, who is a black, upstate, executive who has held property taxes down despite immense budget pressures to raise them.

However, I guess, after the Paterson administration and Rangel, there is a certain deflation among the Harlem power centers.  And should Levy be the GOP nominee, the Hispanic community will have a damn good reason to be up in arms.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:38:30 PM »

Cuomo and Duffy support abortion. They're not real Catholics.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 10:21:54 PM »

Who said that was a bad thing?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »

And there's going to be Schumer spending $20m to let New Yorkers know he's still around.

Sort of a waste of $20 million, isn't it?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 05:41:38 PM »

Yeah, he probably should give half of that to the DSSC to better secure the love of his fellow Senators as he quests to be majority leader

Unless the Nassau County Comptroller, his main opponent in the race, actually poses a threat.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »

Byron Brown is a terrible choice, and is dozens of scandals just waiting to happen-- I say this as someone who has lived in Buffalo for most of the last 5 years.

Stephanie Miner would be a fantastic choice.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »

A lot of Democrats of color are bothered by the snow white Democratic ticket, up and down the statewide races (including all 5 AG candidates and U.S. Senate).  People like Ruben Diaz were really pulling for Byron Brown, who is a black, upstate, executive who has held property taxes down despite immense budget pressures to raise them.

However, I guess, after the Paterson administration and Rangel, there is a certain deflation among the Harlem power centers.  And should Levy be the GOP nominee, the Hispanic community will have a damn good reason to be up in arms.

Diversity for diversity's sake is overrated.  See Paterson, David.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 10:12:20 PM »

I don't know much about the pick, but having an Upstater should help.

Yeah, he probably should give half of that to the DSSC to better secure the love of his fellow Senators as he quests to be majority leader

Unless the Nassau County Comptroller, his main opponent in the race, actually poses a threat.

Well Schumer's last opponent is best remembered for saying "I'm not a sacrificial lamb".
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »

Turns out that Schumer's actual opponent wasn't who I thought it would be, and will either be a tea party favorite ex-CIA officer or a Nassau County accountant of some sort.  What's-his-face didn't make the ballot to face $20m of ads, as I had expected. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies