Is private property illegal in the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:42:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is private property illegal in the United States?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is private property illegal in the United States?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Is private property illegal in the United States?  (Read 1789 times)
TheGreatOne

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »

Memphis, mock me if you want but it just shows your ignorance. If you don't pay your property taxes they will take your home and sell it. If you don't pay your tax on your tag they will suspend your license after a length of time. So, in that sense you don't own your home or car.
Ownership com es with responsibility, one of which is paying required taxes.
Your argument is illogical -- if you don't own it, then its not your home; if its not your home the government cant tax you for it.

I think your having trouble understanding the Republican argument.  If I buy property it belongs to me and not the government.  Property taxes defeat the purpose of ownership, because I’m essentially paying rent to the government, which has the power to take possession of the property and sell it under state laws.  Everyone has to pay property taxes in some form.  If I own an apartment building in Paterson, New Jersey, which has very high property taxes, I would have to increase my rent in order to receive the same profits that earned before the tax hike.

I don’t buy into the Democratic position that it is my responsibility to pay property taxes. My house is my shelter, an essential requirement for living.  Without it, I would become vulnerable to many different dangers.  Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the constitution to make certain that I never have to pay taxes for items that are essential for me to live such as shelter, water and food.  It’s unacceptable for our government to repossess homes when people can not pay their property taxes.  It’s not the basis for wealth.  If I own a $500,000 home and lose my job for four years, I’m sh**t out of luck, unless my state is willing to create a program for me.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »

Memphis, mock me if you want but it just shows your ignorance. If you don't pay your property taxes they will take your home and sell it. If you don't pay your tax on your tag they will suspend your license after a length of time. So, in that sense you don't own your home or car.
Your argument is illogical -- if you don't own it, then its not your home; if its not your home the government cant tax you for it.

There was nothing illogical in that post. There is no "responsibility" to pay protection money to a mafia in order to rightfully claim ownership of property.
I didn't say anything about mafia or protection money; neither did States Rights.  We were talking about taxes and the government.  Try to keep up.

He was obviously making an analogy.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »

Of course not.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »

If you don't believe in property rights then you must like when ppl steal from you?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:56 PM »

FTR, I'm the kind of (fake) libertarian that doesn't buy into this "you can't own property because of taxes" nonsense.  I am, of course, 100% against the eminent domain bullspit various levels of govts pull sometimes to virtually steal land from a citizen "for the greater good" or just to put in a new business park, but that's as far as I take it.  Paying taxes (property or otherwise) is part of the bargain we must have with the govt for civilization to work.  We can argue how much we should pay and where it should go, but taxes are a necessary evil.
WillK

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 07:33:29 AM »

There was nothing illogical in that post. There is no "responsibility" to pay protection money to a mafia in order to rightfully claim ownership of property.
I didn't say anything about mafia or protection money; neither did States Rights.  We were talking about taxes and the government.  Try to keep up.

He was obviously making an analogy.

Obviously, but I refuse to play along with his ridiculous analogy.
WillK

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 07:38:42 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2010, 09:34:37 AM by WillK »

I don’t buy into the Democratic position that it is my responsibility to pay property taxes.
[/quote]

So you think you should be exempt from obeying laws?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Owning land or a building is not an essential requirement for living.  You earlier referred to the situation of someone making profit from owning an apartment building. How is that an essential requirement of that persons life?  

I had to edit this with an additional comment:  The fact that  in arguing that owning a home is an essential requirement of life you use a $500,000 house as the example shows you to be spoiled and self-entitled.
WillK

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 07:47:46 AM »

Two incredibly fascinating propositions made here:

Property taxes defeat the purpose of ownership
This suggests some fixed purpose of ownership which is entirely dependent on not paying any taxes.  Odd.

This is a description of the purpose of the Constitution I have never heard before. 
Where in the Constitution does it say this? 
TheGreatOne

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »

I don’t buy into the Democratic position that it is my responsibility to pay property taxes.

So you think you should be exempt from obeying laws?

Owning land or a building is not an essential requirement for living.  You earlier referred to the situation of someone making profit from owning an apartment building. How is that an essential requirement of that persons life?  

I had to edit this with an additional comment:  The fact that  in arguing that owning a home is an essential requirement of life you use a $500,000 house as the example shows you to be spoiled and self-entitled.
[/quote]
First, I didn’t say I should be exempt from obeying the law.  I am having a debate with you about the morality and legality of property taxes.  I don’t know why I have to write it out.  I thought it was clear enough.  My family pays property taxes and I don’t think it’s just. 

You think owning a home is not an essential part of living?  Yeah try raising a cohesive family in a junkyard.  Try holding a job without a place to sleep at night and shower in the morning.   

I never meant to imply that owning the apartment was an essential requirement for living, but living in that apartment is essential for low income tenants, who will have to pay increased rent if the apartment owner sees his property taxes increased.  I’m not just pulling this example out of my ass.  This is a major issue where I’m from.

Yeah I have a $500,000 home.  My father worked 25 years just to pay off the mortgage, so our family could live in a good community.  I’m not ashamed of that.  Apparently you’re just jealous that someone’s hard work paid off.  Now you want the government to steal you a piece.  I understand your logic perfectly.  You feel that you’re entitled to the wealth my father built up.   
TheGreatOne

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 12:10:49 PM »

Two incredibly fascinating propositions made here:

Property taxes defeat the purpose of ownership
This suggests some fixed purpose of ownership which is entirely dependent on not paying any taxes.  Odd.

This is a description of the purpose of the Constitution I have never heard before. 

Its implied by the preamble: "and secure the Blessings and Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity."  This can also be implied from the numerous quotes by the founding fathers, who beleived in outright ownership of property. John Adams: "But no part of the property of any individual can, with justice, be taken from him, or applied to public uses, without his own consent, or that of the representative body of the people." A property tax is a claim of ownership by the government.  If you don't pay it the government owns your home.  Its like having a never ending mortgage.  Just think of the government as the bank.
WillK

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2010, 12:20:39 PM by WillK »

Its implied by the preamble: "and secure the Blessings and Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity."

No its not.  Nothing in the preamble about not having to pay tax on food.

This quote completely contradicts you. Adams says its ok  with the consent of "the representative body of the people".  
WillK

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 12:18:20 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2010, 12:44:10 PM by WillK »

You think owning a home is not an essential part of living?  Yeah try raising a cohesive family in a junkyard.  Try holding a job without a place to sleep at night and shower in the morning.  
Millions of people wake each morning and take a shower in a place that someone else owns.
See your example of the apartment owner.  The residents raise cohesive families, hold jobs, sleep in  bed, take showers but dont own the place they live.  

Landlords can only raise rent to the level the market allows.  The constraints of supply and demand are what set rental prices.  But even if the owner can pass on some of the property tax increases, so what?

Jealous of you?  Haaaa haaaa haaa.  You definitely are a spoiled self-entitled brat.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies