What do you think of Lt. Governor being elected separately from the Governors?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:31:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What do you think of Lt. Governor being elected separately from the Governors?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Favor it

Oppose it

Maybe

Other.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: What do you think of Lt. Governor being elected separately from the Governors?  (Read 3663 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »

I favor it........but we're used to it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »

One of the dumbest ideas, up there along with electing judges.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »

I like the New Jersey model where the Lt. Governor is chosen post-primary and elected on the same ticket as the Governor.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »

Yep, we elect our judges......including our Supreme Court.
rbt48

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 12:31:37 PM »

I can live with it either way.  But, I would say that if they are paired on the general election ballot, they should be paired in the primary as well.

The New Jersey and Iowa solutions seem merited as well.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:47:47 PM »

Strongly oppose. Lieutenant Governors should be elected on the same ticket just as the vice president.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »

Just simply eliminate the post.  There's no real need to have a warm body whose only job is to be a backup to the guy in charge.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 02:56:45 PM »

Just simply eliminate the post.  There's no real need to have a warm body whose only job is to be a backup to the guy in charge.

But if there must be one, I would prefer that it not be separately elected.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »

Oppose it. Chances are the governor and lieutenant would probably work together better if the candidate for governor chose who he wants to work with. And really, it's not like lieutenant governors even do much so the public isn't really deciding much when they elect them.

That's not activist at all.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »

I favor eliminating the position of Lt. Governor. It is about as useless an accoutrement as tits on a boar.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »

Oppose. They should be elected together.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 05:43:18 PM »

Approve.  Here every now and then a terrible Lt. Governor is chosen in a split three way primary.  Allowing for a third party challenge or split in Lt. Governor to correct such mistakes would be nice.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »

I favor eliminating the position of Lt. Governor. It is about as useless an accoutrement as tits on a boar.

This, with an exception for the biggest states. I can understand having a designated successor in case the governor of California or New York croaks, but who gives a crap if the governor of South Dakota decides to resign and start a yak farm?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »

Haha, maybe the runner up in the general election should be the LG, like in the old days when that's how VP's were selected.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »

This, with an exception for the biggest states. I can understand having a designated successor in case the governor of California or New York croaks, but who gives a crap if the governor of South Dakota decides to resign and start a yak farm?

Well, you can give the designator successor some real executive responsibility.  In Arizona, Oregon, Puerto Rico, and Wyoming, the Secretary of State is that successor, while in Alaska, Hawaii, and Utah, the Lieutenant Governor functions as the Secretary of State of those states.  If nothing else, such tasks are much better preparation than having them preside over the State Senate.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »

Haha, maybe the runner up in the general election should be the LG, like in the old days when that's how VP's were selected.

For about two or three prez elections and then we realized that was a really dumb system.  Despite *gasp* it being conceived by our almighty genius founding fathers.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »

My idea:

After he is elected, the Governor appoints a Lieutenant Governor, who must be a state legislator or an elected cabinet member. The Lieutenant Governor must be confirmed by the legislature, after which he will serve in the line of succession in addition to whatever elective office he has.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »

My idea:

After he is elected, the Governor appoints a Lieutenant Governor, who must be a state legislator or an elected cabinet member. The Lieutenant Governor must be confirmed by the legislature, after which he will serve in the line of succession in addition to whatever elective office he has.

But then, if the candidate knows who he's going to pick, then you just end up with an automatic vacancy every time on day 1.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »

My idea:

But then, if the candidate knows who he's going to pick, then you just end up with an automatic vacancy every time on day 1.

The Lieutenant Governor would also hold whatever job he was elected to.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »

The last time a LG took over was when Ridge left to become Fatherland Security Secretary..... we had a wonderful LG.....shame he didn't want to run for a whole term.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »

My idea:

The Lieutenant Governor would also hold whatever job he was elected to.

faceplant, missed that part of you post.  Very interesting suggestion, actually.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »

Unless you're in Texas, where the position is as strong (if not stronger) than the Governor because of its function as a Senate Majority Leader/House Speaker, with requisite control over legislation.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:46 PM »

Unless you're in Texas, where the position is as strong (if not stronger) than the Governor because of its function as a Senate Majority Leader/House Speaker, with requisite control over legislation.

Unless that Lt. Governor is a pawn of Rick Perry.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »

Oppose it. Chances are the governor and lieutenant would probably work together better if the candidate for governor chose who he wants to work with. And really, it's not like lieutenant governors even do much so the public isn't really deciding much when they elect them.

That's not activist at all.

Electing them on the same ticket in the general election doesn't imply that the gubernatorial candidate picked his running mate. New York has a separate primary for Lt. Governor.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »

I'd rather have the position just abolished in Minnesota, where it is useless. If the Lt. Gov. actually has some power though, I'd agree with having them separately elected. The worst system is how Illinois has it but will soon abolish it, where they run separately in the primary but run as a ticket in the general for fairly obvious reasons and why Illinois abolished it.

I was thinking that simply letting the second place in the primary run as the Lt. Gov. but then I realized in cases where an incumbent Governor is running basically unopposed you'd like end up with cases where some LaRouchite or other assorted nutcases end up on the ticket.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies