Office of Northeast Member of Assembly Senator Libertas!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:41:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Northeast Member of Assembly Senator Libertas!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Office of Northeast Member of Assembly Senator Libertas!  (Read 17753 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »

Thank you to Governor Tmthforu94, wormyguy, Governor Han, Mechaman, Governor Oakvale, Franzl (I think) and Kalwejt (conditionally) for your endorsements.

Endorsed! Best of luck to you. Smiley

One question: If you are re-elected, will you make an effort to make more votes than you currently do?

Yes, Governor, and let me once again clarify what the situation is. The attacks on me alleging inactivity are due primarily to partisan and personal animosity. Yes, I have missed votes, and I apologize for not being as active as I should have been, but this needs to be put into perspective.

The method of using how many times a senator shows up to cast meaningless votes on uncompetitive, unanimously-passing legislation and nominations is akin to John McCain obsessing over earmarks to look like he's tough on spending. It's a small side issue that distracts from the real problems.

I have really not been inactive, but simply selectively active, focusing on real issues in the Senate. At the same times that I was implicitly abstaining from votes, I've been taking part in actual debates, putting forth questions and criticisms, as well as introducing numerous pieces of legislation myself.

The real problem in the Senate I think is the people who do always just show up to vote as they are told. Nobody pays attention to debates; they just get a PM when its time to vote. Rarely is there a real competitive vote on a piece of legislation.

Let me once again point out that the same party and people assailing my record now are the ones who nearly elected to the PPT position someone who had been verge of expulsion due to 20 days of total inactivity. Even in this thread, Marokai Blue has the gall to compare my situation to Senator Bacon King's, which makes clear what their motivations are in attacking me. This is not a knock against Bacon King, but again, let's view the bigger picture of what's really been going on and not get mired down in these partisan, personally-motivated attacks.

If I weren't in the Senate this past term, the amount of opposition and debate going on in the Senate would be pretty much zero. Like the rest of Atlasia, the Senate is otherwise dominated by a sort of good ol' boys club. I have sought to break down this power structure and I shall continue this fight if the people of Atlasia grant me the privilege of another term.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »

Endorsed

I would say, there is no policy based on votes.

There is a policy based on "conducting Senate business" atleast once in a 21 day period to avoid losing your seat. That can be a vote, but also mere debate, questioning or what have you also. There is no official policy based on votes but there may be a tradition of grading a Senators service on votes cast versus those not cast, but that is just that, a tradition or precedent.

I do have a question, why did you vote Nay on the Make PS Happy Amendment? Was it because you don't beleive in the standard based on what you said in your previosu post about "basing it on votes" or something else?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »

Thank you to Governor Tmthforu94, wormyguy, Governor Han, Mechaman, Governor Oakvale, Franzl (I think) and Kalwejt (conditionally) for your endorsements.

Endorsed! Best of luck to you. Smiley

One question: If you are re-elected, will you make an effort to make more votes than you currently do?

Yes, Governor, and let me once again clarify what the situation is. The attacks on me alleging inactivity are due primarily to partisan and personal animosity. Yes, I have missed votes, and I apologize for not being as active as I should have been, but this needs to be put into perspective.

The method of using how many times a senator shows up to cast meaningless votes on uncompetitive, unanimously-passing legislation and nominations is akin to John McCain obsessing over earmarks to look like he's tough on spending. It's a small side issue that distracts from the real problems.

I have really not been inactive, but simply selectively active, focusing on real issues in the Senate. At the same times that I was implicitly abstaining from votes, I've been taking part in actual debates, putting forth questions and criticisms, as well as introducing numerous pieces of legislation myself.

The real problem in the Senate I think is the people who do always just show up to vote as they are told. Nobody pays attention to debates; they just get a PM when its time to vote. Rarely is there a real competitive vote on a piece of legislation.

Let me once again point out that the same party and people assailing my record now are the ones who nearly elected to the PPT position someone who had been verge of expulsion due to 20 days of total inactivity. Even in this thread, Marokai Blue has the gall to compare my situation to Senator Bacon King's, which makes clear what their motivations are in attacking me. This is not a knock against Bacon King, but again, let's view the bigger picture of what's really been going on and not get mired down in these partisan, personally-motivated attacks.

If I weren't in the Senate this past term, the amount of opposition and debate going on in the Senate would be pretty much zero. Like the rest of Atlasia, the Senate is otherwise dominated by a sort of good ol' boys club. I have sought to break down this power structure and I shall continue this fight if the people of Atlasia grant me the privilege of another term.

FWIW, I don't hold BK--or anyone else--to a different standard for missing votes. The difference here is that at least when BK did show back up he offered a mea culpa and promised to improve. Conversely up till now you've brandished your frequent absence as a badge of honor rather than a failing in job performance. I emphasize "up till now" as in the above post you've finally acknowledged it as a problem and indicated a willingness to improve.

Regarding the "domination" of the Senate by the "good ol boy club", I lack sympathy for such an exaggeration. I am an active Democrat in an area far more GOP and conservative dominated in RL than the Atlasia Senate is liberal "controlled". Furthermore the Senate liberals are far more willing to cross party and ideological lines than the RL conservative Rep's around here. But instead of publically whining about it (OK, occasionally in private maybe Tongue) we forge coalitions to win battles where we can and always fight the good fight. Your "field" in the Senate is much more fertile than that, and has plenty of opportunity for success if you spend the time and effort necessary.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »

Not endorsed.

Show up once in a while and do your f-cking job. Seriously. If this was real life you'd be getting paid from public funds for not turning up to votes. If you want to take a stand against a perceived lack of debate - abstain.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »

Not endorsed.

Show up once in a while and do your f-cking job. Seriously. If this was real life you'd be getting paid from public funds for not turning up to votes. If you want to take a stand against a perceived lack of debate - abstain.

Yeah, next thing you know I might end up almost as inactive as President afleitch was.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »

Not endorsed.

Yeah, next thing you know I might end up almost as inactive as President afleitch was.

How dare you, sir. I was Vice President in those days and we made inactivity look amazing. Don't you ever make it sound like a bad thing.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »

Endorsed from the IDS, for whatever it's worth in your campaign.

Hope you hold on, Senator. After Dallasfan's loss, it's starting to become clear to me what Atlasia - or perhaps more accurately, the JCP machine - thinks of people who are pro-liberty.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2010, 06:02:24 PM »

Not endorsed.

I love this "but you're worse" attitude.

Libertas, you deserved this criticism. All you have to do is to improve. That's all.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »

Hope you hold on, Senator. After Dallasfan's loss, it's starting to become clear to me what Atlasia - or perhaps more accurately, the JCP machine - thinks of people who are pro-liberty.

Yay right-wing inactivity!
Boo left-wing inactivity!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »

Not endorsed.

How dare you, sir. I was Vice President in those days and we made inactivity look amazing. Don't you ever make it sound like a bad thing.

He is probably referring to the Afleitch/Smid administration in early 2010. Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2010, 07:09:17 PM »

Not endorsed.

He is probably referring to the Afleitch/Smid administration in early 2010. Tongue

Which in comparison to past presidencies was fairly active and achieved most of it's initial aims (especially with regards Senate activity, revised bills and vetos). It faltered in it's lasty months because PS had decided to run. I don't however have the energy to defend it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »

Not endorsed.

Which in comparison to past presidencies was fairly active and achieved most of it's initial aims (especially with regards Senate activity, revised bills and vetos). It faltered in it's lasty months because PS had decided to run. I don't however have the energy to defend it.

So basically you ended up like a one term version of George W. Bush. Wink Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »

Not endorsed.

So basically you ended up like a one term version of George W. Bush. Wink Tongue

Not really; for some reason people decided that being a President who signed bills in to law, returned bills with amendments/vetos and used his office to communicate with the people as had been the pattern since the game began wasn't enough. I let the Senate legislate (and it did rather well), which I had done in my first presidency and other presidents had done. I set the Cabinet tasks to undertake...but they were not overly responsive. I set up a 'Question Time' which barring quickly answered questions at the start did not generate the interest I had hoped.

I think it was Al who pointed out that my administration was not that different from what had gone before. Purple State however has set a 'benchmark' allowing my administration to become a 'by-word' for inactive. 

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »

Not endorsed.

Not really; for some reason people decided that being a President who signed bills in to law, returned bills with amendments/vetos and used his office to communicate with the people as had been the pattern since the game began wasn't enough. I let the Senate legislate (and it did rather well), which I had done in my first presidency and other presidents had done. I set the Cabinet tasks to undertake...but they were not overly responsive. I set up a 'Question Time' which barring quickly answered questions at the start did not generate the interest I had hoped.

I think it was Al who pointed out that my administration was not that different from what had gone before. Purple State however has set a 'benchmark' allowing my administration to become a 'by-word' for inactive. 

I meant in terms of not defending the record you ended up like Bush. Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »

Not endorsed.

I suppose Smiley But whats the point? I'm finished in Atlasia. Despite being an active SOIA for the brief time I was in office I had to put out a message to prove I was 'active' because there was simply an assumption circulating that somehow I wasn't Tongue You can't fight that.

Anyways - i'll stop clogging up this thread Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »

Not endorsed.

I suppose Smiley But whats the point? I'm finished in Atlasia. Despite being an active SOIA for the brief time I was in office I had to put out a message to prove I was 'active' because there was simply an assumption circulating that somehow I wasn't Tongue You can't fight that.

Anyways - i'll stop clogging up this thread Smiley

I didn't get that memo. Wink

Now listen ya hear, according to Phil I'm dictatorial, so I command that you are not finished in Atlasia. And I order you to purge such ridiculous thoughts immediately, so ordered. Wink Tongue

Seriously, give the idiots time and they will forget or just not care. People have survived much worse and remained viable.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »

Endorsed

There is a policy based on "conducting Senate business" atleast once in a 21 day period to avoid losing your seat. That can be a vote, but also mere debate, questioning or what have you also. There is no official policy based on votes but there may be a tradition of grading a Senators service on votes cast versus those not cast, but that is just that, a tradition or precedent.

I do have a question, why did you vote Nay on the Make PS Happy Amendment? Was it because you don't beleive in the standard based on what you said in your previosu post about "basing it on votes" or something else?

I did not see any reason that would make that amendment necessary. PS himself opposed it.

Thank you, yes, the regime seems to be getting more and more brazen these days. Every branch of government is falling under the control of this monstrous political machine. They are willing to tear everything else down if it means more political power for themselves.

Atlasia v. Antonio V has really sent out a shockwave, letting us know we cannot trust the system at all. One priority I definitely see going forward: we need elected judges who serve for finite terms and are accountable to the people. No more unelected, unaccountable bureaucratic dictators barking orders from the bench on behalf of corrupt political machines.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »

Endorsed

I did not see any reason that would make that amendment necessary. PS himself opposed it.

Well I would disagree because the current setup is under question and it could get dragged into court into the future if a situation arises again. PS himself said he thinks the current procedure is unconstitutional and so we either pass that amendment or repeal the current procedure to resolve and remove doubts about its legitimacy.

Do you also agree with Purple State's position that the "expulsion" procedure should be used to deal with innactive Senators?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »

The party is over.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »

Hahaha, good riddance!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »

Is it really neccessary to spam the forum by saying the same thing in three different locations?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »

I'm sorry to hear of the sudden death of Senator Libertas.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2010, 10:18:03 PM »

Goodbye Libertas.  You were a great Senator.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »

I never commented on this until now, but...

So long, goodbye, good luck and good riddence.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to: