Office of Northeast Member of Assembly Senator Libertas! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:47:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Northeast Member of Assembly Senator Libertas! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Northeast Member of Assembly Senator Libertas!  (Read 17724 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 28, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »

This'd be more impressive if Libby actually showed up to do his job occassionally. When he first was elected at least one could give him that. Now he's like the psuedo-intellectual high school dropout who's "too cool" to show up and do his work because "the system's all against us anyway, so what's the point?"

Pathetic. Won't stop his army of fanboys from backing him without exception.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »

Thank you to Governor Tmthforu94, wormyguy, Governor Han, Mechaman, Governor Oakvale, Franzl (I think) and Kalwejt (conditionally) for your endorsements.

Endorsed! Best of luck to you. Smiley

One question: If you are re-elected, will you make an effort to make more votes than you currently do?

Yes, Governor, and let me once again clarify what the situation is. The attacks on me alleging inactivity are due primarily to partisan and personal animosity. Yes, I have missed votes, and I apologize for not being as active as I should have been, but this needs to be put into perspective.

The method of using how many times a senator shows up to cast meaningless votes on uncompetitive, unanimously-passing legislation and nominations is akin to John McCain obsessing over earmarks to look like he's tough on spending. It's a small side issue that distracts from the real problems.

I have really not been inactive, but simply selectively active, focusing on real issues in the Senate. At the same times that I was implicitly abstaining from votes, I've been taking part in actual debates, putting forth questions and criticisms, as well as introducing numerous pieces of legislation myself.

The real problem in the Senate I think is the people who do always just show up to vote as they are told. Nobody pays attention to debates; they just get a PM when its time to vote. Rarely is there a real competitive vote on a piece of legislation.

Let me once again point out that the same party and people assailing my record now are the ones who nearly elected to the PPT position someone who had been verge of expulsion due to 20 days of total inactivity. Even in this thread, Marokai Blue has the gall to compare my situation to Senator Bacon King's, which makes clear what their motivations are in attacking me. This is not a knock against Bacon King, but again, let's view the bigger picture of what's really been going on and not get mired down in these partisan, personally-motivated attacks.

If I weren't in the Senate this past term, the amount of opposition and debate going on in the Senate would be pretty much zero. Like the rest of Atlasia, the Senate is otherwise dominated by a sort of good ol' boys club. I have sought to break down this power structure and I shall continue this fight if the people of Atlasia grant me the privilege of another term.

FWIW, I don't hold BK--or anyone else--to a different standard for missing votes. The difference here is that at least when BK did show back up he offered a mea culpa and promised to improve. Conversely up till now you've brandished your frequent absence as a badge of honor rather than a failing in job performance. I emphasize "up till now" as in the above post you've finally acknowledged it as a problem and indicated a willingness to improve.

Regarding the "domination" of the Senate by the "good ol boy club", I lack sympathy for such an exaggeration. I am an active Democrat in an area far more GOP and conservative dominated in RL than the Atlasia Senate is liberal "controlled". Furthermore the Senate liberals are far more willing to cross party and ideological lines than the RL conservative Rep's around here. But instead of publically whining about it (OK, occasionally in private maybe Tongue) we forge coalitions to win battles where we can and always fight the good fight. Your "field" in the Senate is much more fertile than that, and has plenty of opportunity for success if you spend the time and effort necessary.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies