England shirts are banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:34:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  England shirts are banned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: England shirts are banned?  (Read 1484 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:28 AM »

In the run-up to the Football World Cup, there's a common myth that England shirts have been banned because they offend immigrants. Certain sections of the media (*ahem* Daily Mail *ahem* The Sun *ahem) seem to have successfully fooled quite a few people into believing this myth.

Does anyone from the UK on this forum believe this myth, or know anyone who believes this myth?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:25:41 AM »

In the run-up to the Football World Cup, there's a common myth that England shirts have been banned because they offend immigrants. Certain sections of the media (*ahem* Daily Mail *ahem* The Sun *ahem) seem to have successfully fooled quite a few people into believing this myth.

Does anyone from the UK on this forum believe this myth, or know anyone who believes this myth?

I don't believe it one bit personally, you just have to step out the door to see the amount flying from windows and from cars, but I obviously have some Facebook friends who believe the stupid rumour. It's right there when you walk out the door ffs.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:30:53 AM »

Good, nothing wrong with nationalism.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:31:42 AM »

Good, nothing wrong with nationalism patriotism.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:35:37 AM »

Same difference really.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »

When you tell someone that this rumour is false, the reply tends to be something along the lines of "Well, i heard about someone who went into a pub and got told to take their England shirt off". I guess i don't need to explain what's wrong with that argument, with this being a political forum and all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 03:32:46 AM »

Lol.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:02:07 AM »

I don't get how it would offend immigrants. Why would somebody move to England if they didn't like it?

If something like that were actually banned then I think we could safely say England has jumped the shark as a country.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 04:50:11 AM »

Yeah; I'm thinking more along the lines of if a country's racist natives are dumb enough to believe a rumour like that, we can safely say England has jumped the shark as a country. Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 05:02:07 AM »

I don't get how it would offend immigrants. Why would somebody move to England if they didn't like it?
That's what I was thinking and the dark humor part of me was wanting to see a link to some douche actually making that argument.  If you find the flag of the country you immigrated to "racist" then you might as well be shot on spot because there is no help for someone that is both that big of an asshat and that aggressive in his asshattery.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 05:09:22 AM »

It's a bit more complex than that, actually; due to the whole muddled England / Britain thing (stressing something as "English" is frequently more intended to rule out the last century of immigration rather than just the Scots and Welsh and Irish). And as in many Western European countries (Germany, say. Spain.), supporting the national team (rather than a club) can have far-right implications. Though I do stress "can" - it's far from a giveaway.
The rumour is still obvious nonsense.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 05:17:12 AM »

That's what I was thinking and the dark humor part of me was wanting to see a link to some douche actually making that argument.  If you find the flag of the country you immigrated to "racist" then you might as well be shot on spot because there is no help for someone that is both that big of an asshat and that aggressive in his asshattery.

To be fair, Patriotism is BS, for the most part.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 05:19:30 AM »

It's a bit more complex than that, actually; due to the whole muddled England / Britain thing (stressing something as "English" is frequently more intended to rule out the last century of immigration rather than just the Scots and Welsh and Irish).

Yes, this is true. The St George's Flag (and other associated things) has often been used by far-right groups, going back to the National Front at least and now very much continued with the EDL. But people tend to exaggerate this sort of thing; most people from minority groups have no problem with that flag, except when its used in certain contexts.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes. I'm mildly amazed that so many people have been so stupid as to buy it, actually. But then racists often have a curiously limited attachment to reality.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 05:28:08 AM »

I've seen multiple England flags on windows of at least two pubs or cafes in Whitehaven during the coverage of the aftermath of the shootings. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 06:20:36 AM »

If something like that were actually banned then I think we could safely say England has jumped the shark as a country.

Why would someone move from Mexico to the US and be offended by that US flag, yeah, that hasn't happened here..hmmm..
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 06:36:16 AM »

The Confederate flag is actually a somewhat better (though not perfect or anything near it) analogy.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »

Interestingly, the people who are most against the current Australian flag are of anglo-celtic heritage.

Well, after Indigenous Australians, obviously.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »

Why would someone move from Mexico to the US and be offended by that US flag, yeah, that hasn't happened here..hmmm..

Worn in coordination by a group of douches on cinco de mayo in order to rile up students at their school....yeah. Most classrooms have the US flag in them but you don't see them saying anything about that do you? Show me anyone here in the US who is offended by any display of the flag, when it is not used in a fashion to point out some group's "otherness" and to question their patriotism and loyalty to this country.

As for these rumors, it's just more rednecks thinking immigrants have it better than them and they themselves are some oppressed class. Roll Eyes
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 05:21:28 AM »

As for these rumors, it's just more rednecks thinking immigrants have it better than them and they themselves are some oppressed class. Roll Eyes

Actually they do, illegals can come here, break the law openly and flaunt in then receive benefits from the government. Hell of a deal if you ask me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 06:36:28 AM »

The racist American Flag
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes folks, clearly if some people use the flag when they do racist things then the flag is, by extension, racist.  Good Og I hope they didn't breath when they did racist things.  Or eat.  They did?  Oh sh**t, those things are racist too!

My favorite part was when this halfwit tried to pull "the enlightened people on the left" under the bus with him.  I'm pretty sure just saying "the enlightened people on the left" makes you a douche and everything you say not worth listening too.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »

I'm pretty sure that that's not serious.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 03:55:38 AM »

Dead0man,

I don't think those kids were being racist when they wore that flag. Remember that some of them are of Mexican heritage. They were just trying to say the others were less American than they were for celebrating Mexican culture that day..... Or all of them just coincidentally got patriotic on that one specific day. I also saw a pig fly outside my window. Must be the local fauna here in Houston.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 04:01:13 AM »

Actually they do, illegals can come here, break the law openly and flaunt in then receive benefits from the government. Hell of a deal if you ask me.

How do they have it better than anyone else though? And considering the constant fear of deportation they have, they can't even speak out against abuse from their employers. They work as long as their employers want, and they get paid what their employer feels like paying them. Or it's back to the homeland. I would say they have it much worse than legal citizens, residents and immigrants.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies