So, what's your grossly misrepresented military background?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:53:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So, what's your grossly misrepresented military background?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So, what's your grossly misrepresented military background?  (Read 722 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:10:50 AM »

Hey, if Dick Blumenthal, Mark Kirk and Jan Brewer can do it, why can't we?

"My father was gravely wounded during a combat operation in Vietnam, and then couldn't find work back in the U.S. afterwards.  So I know what's it's like for our men and women in uniform."

(He once dropped a printer toner cartridge on his foot while watching Platoon on TV, and he's already retired.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 05:53:57 AM »

My father served during the Vietnam War. (in the German army -  a country that didn't fight in Vietnam - as a draftee - who can't get used abroad under German law - , in a non-combat unit.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:00:37 AM »

My dad was drafted during Vietnam went to Basic 2 hours from home.  Had a Major there fall in love with him and the Major kept him around the Post for my dad's entire enlistment working as a gopher and in the officers Chow Hall.  He says he spent the war fetching warm pies for the brass.  That sounds dirty.  He did mention he dropped a tray full of pizza and sodas on some officer once...on accident.

I too wanted to avoid war....that's why I didn't join the military, I joined the Air Force.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 06:21:04 AM »

My brother witnesses increadible suffering among his troops during his time as a lieutenant in Kosovo.

(Two of the privates drank three 1,5 liter bottles of Coca Cola each during a single hour and spent the whole night vomiting their stomachs out)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:41:20 AM »

As the youngest drummer boy of the civil war I can attest to the fact that Robert E. Lee was one of the greatest generals ever to grace gods good earth.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 07:16:55 AM »

'Hey sailor!'
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »

My father was a brave caporal-chef in the French military and bravely resisted a German surprise attack by valiantly defending his tank and his unit.

(in reality, my father and his unit were sleeping under a tank during a joint Franco-German military training in the 60s)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:08:27 AM »

Well, I was once a draft-dodger (seriously).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »

My grandfather bravely fought in the 1940s with the fascist from the Ukrainian Insurgent Army and once went inches away from being shot to death (he ducked).

(yes, despite being like 12 at the time, he really was saying that to the people for the lulz and some assholes believed that)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 11:26:40 PM »

My mum's dad's valour during the war has become less absolute after his death. Instead of getting shot down, he actually crashed on landing, killing the 5 other guys on his bomber. He was quietly sent to the army for the rest of the war. Mistakes happen, but it was a bad mistake to make.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 12:34:24 AM »

My great uncle was making a getaway in Vietnam and as he was running, shots were fired from the trees and his friend's legs got blown off right next to him.  He tried to drag his friend along, but he bled out before they could get to safety.

But, oh wait... that actually happened.  I think I misunderstood the assignment.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 01:34:08 AM »

My grandfather kept the American armed forces clean from subversive individuals bent on the destruction of America.

(He was in charge of discharging homosexuals once they were identified. He opposed the policy though.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 01:39:15 AM »

I had an Uncle who defended Oklahoma from the Viet Cong while Bush was busy defending Texas from the Viet Cong.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies