6/8 Primaries - AR, CA, IA, ME, MT, NV, NJ, ND, SC, SD, VA (results links in OP)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:15:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  6/8 Primaries - AR, CA, IA, ME, MT, NV, NJ, ND, SC, SD, VA (results links in OP)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Author Topic: 6/8 Primaries - AR, CA, IA, ME, MT, NV, NJ, ND, SC, SD, VA (results links in OP)  (Read 39414 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 12:22:21 AM »

Something odd going on in Garland County, Arkansas: The folks running the runoff election there have decided to only open two polling places for the entire county. Garland County is the most populous county in the state that Bill Halter won.

My guess is that this has something to do with budget cuts and isn't inherently sinister (although I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out it was). Not good news for Halter either way though.

Halter is going to win pretty easily anyway, I suspect. I won't lose any sleep over it, although it is worth noting.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 12:31:22 AM »

I wish Phil was still around so I could point to my support of Halter to him as proof I don't hate Catholics.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 12:33:13 AM »

I wish Phil was still around so I could point to my support of Halter to him as proof I don't hate Catholics.

But you do hate Catholics.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 12:34:06 AM »

Well Halter is Catholic, so if that was true I would never support him.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »

New Jersey
- Nothing to report here, New Jersey's machine-driven politics tend to ensure Congressional primaries remain uncompetitive. The only thing to note is the Republicans' recruitment of rich people to run in NJ-03 (Jon Runyon), NJ-06 (Diane Gooch), NJ-09 (John Aslanian), and NJ-12 (Scott Sipprelle).

I still dont know who I'm voting for, Gooch has the money to defeat Pallone, but Anna Little is more conservative. Id just want to see Pallone gone, he has not made it a secret he wants to run for the senate someday.

I doubt Gooch could defeat Pallone, but she could make him spend some of his $4 million.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »

Another race worth watching is the California Attorney General race. It's a fight between the former Facebook executive Chris Kelly, whose only positive quality seems to be his large bank account, and San Francisco DA Kamala Harris.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2010, 07:50:39 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2010, 07:55:59 AM by Lunar »

Another race worth watching is the California Attorney General race. It's a fight between the former Facebook executive Chris Kelly, whose only positive quality seems to be his large bank account, and San Francisco DA Kamala Harris.

Kelly doesn't run ads like this, which are a big plus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH18NlAKLMA

It should be said that vague references to your opponent's profession, without explicitly saying it, is probably a mistake for a race that's as low key as an AG primary.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2010, 09:19:09 AM by Lunar »

Also, the birther queen is running for CA SoS.  If the CA GOP ends up nominating Orly Taitz, even though whoever they nominate is guaranteed to lose, it will be hilar
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »

Also, the birther queen is running for CA SoS.  If the CA GOP ends up nominating Orly Taitz, even though whoever the nominate is guaranteed to lose, it will be hilar

ORLY?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »

Also, the birther queen is running for CA SoS.  If the CA GOP ends up nominating Orly Taitz, even though whoever the nominate is guaranteed to lose, it will be hilar

ORLY?

haha
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2010, 12:00:10 PM by Torie »

Also, the birther queen is running for CA SoS.  If the CA GOP ends up nominating Orly Taitz, even though whoever they nominate is guaranteed to lose, it will be hilar

A quite charismatic black man is running for SOS in CA in the GOP primary, Damon Dunn. You might want to check him out.

And you can check out Dunn's opponent, Orly Taitz, here.  To put it as charitably as possible, what Taitz needs, in addition to a new hairdo, is a new research assistant. Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »

Well even though I hate Facebook Kelly definitely would have my support if I lived in California. At the end she says "Because right now they're just not safe", uh wrong. And what the the hell does Facebook have to do with creating a child assault unit and longer sentences for sex offenders?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »

Kelly comes off to me as yet another scummy rich guy looking to purchase a political office. Plus there's the fact that he was in charge of Facebook's laughable privacy standards.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »

A quite charismatic black man is running for SOS in CA in the GOP primary, Damon Dunn. You might want to check him out.

And you can check out Dunn's opponent, Orly Taitz, here.  To put it as charitably as possible, what Taitz needs, in addition to a new hairdo, is a new research assistant. Tongue

It should be directly said that Debra Bowen, the incumbent SoS, has no chance of losing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »

How much would she win over Taitz? Even the Freepers seem to be sick of Taitz now. Sort of the right wing Cindy Sheehan I guess (who is now also mocked at DU.)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2010, 03:35:04 PM by Lunar »

Kelly comes off to me as yet another scummy rich guy looking to purchase a political office.

In his ads?  Yeah, he runs pretty embarrassingly cliche stuff, but advertising in CA is hella expensive and sometimes you've got to go the direct route as you want to inflate your name recognition as much as possible for each dollar you spend, more than actually say something real in each ad.  And Kelly's resume is obviously a little thin, so he has to make silly claims like a face-to-face with the camera  saying "I WILL KEEP YOU SAFE"

I like this video though: http://www.kelly2010.com/media/video/671

I'm not the biggest fan in the world of D.A.'s becoming AG's either.  D.A.'s have to deal with petty crime stuff, while AG's can really implement a more expansive vision in their casework that's really not in the same territory as what a D.A. does.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010, 03:40:34 PM »

Harris' site is an extreme rip off of Obama's campaign site. Probably the most blatant political site ripoff I've ever seen: http://www.kamalaharris.org
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »

Harris' site is an extreme rip off of Obama's campaign site. Probably the most blatant political site ripoff I've ever seen: http://www.kamalaharris.org

ouch, I've seen Obama rip-offs before, never anything like that
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »

Well even though I hate Facebook Kelly definitely would have my support if I lived in California. At the end she says "Because right now they're just not safe", uh wrong. And what the the hell does Facebook have to do with creating a child assault unit and longer sentences for sex offenders?

I'm really nervous about the AG race....

In addition to the sleazy ads and the uncreative web design, Harris has a whole bunch of baggage that will destroy her in the general election.  There's the sanctuary city stuff.  Plus a huge scandal with a subordinate who had a criminal record when hired and was stealing drugs or something, which ended up ruining the government's position in a bunch of cases...

Meanwhile,  I'm just not comfortable with Facebook Kelly....I think he seems about as qualified to be AG as Carly Fiorina is to be senator.... 

I am voting for State Assemblyman Ted Lieu.  I've met him and was impressed and he seems reasonable and moderate-progressive.  Plus he's from the L.A. area, which is a plus for me personally, as a socal resident, and would benefit him in the general election.

Unfortunately, it seems that Kelly and Harris have tons of money and appear to be the only candidates with a chance of making it through the primary... 

The GOP primary, meanwhile, is worth watching.  If Steve Cooley makes it through, I think he would be favored against all Dems (except Ted Lieu) in the general.  The other GOPers would likely be toss-ups in races with Harris and at a slight disadvantage vis-a-vis Kelly or any of the other state assemblymen.

Meanwhile, I'm cheering for Hector De La Torre for Insurance Commissioner, Gavin Newsom for Lieutenant Governor, and Gloria Romero for Superintendant of Public Instruction.

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »

Here's a Google spreadsheet of fundraising numbers for the California statewide offices. Kelly has spent nearly $20 million in the past three months or so. Harris and Rocky Delgaldillo have spent about $3 million each.

Debra Bowen sure doesn't look safe, since she hasn't bothered to raise anything. I guess she's just depending on the natural Dem lean of the state to pull her through, since Dunn is a political unknown?

Bill Lockyer should be pretty safe, $8.6 million in the bank and all.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2010, 09:41:36 PM by Lunar »

Wow, I didn't realize Kelly was spending so damn much.

Viewing his site more, he certainly seems to be on the right when it comes to prison reform and such things, a little disappointing.  At least he's a strong believer in marriage equality.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My understanding is that she's more than safe, as she's a popular incumbent among people who know who she is, in a state where there's a Democratic lean.

No clue about the ins and outs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 11:24:33 PM »

Harris is pro-gay marriage too. Kind of a moot issue in any Democratic primary now in any state that's at least socially moderate. All the Democratic candidates for Governor this year in Minnesota for example were pro-gay marriage.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »

Link to the SC vote results as the State Election Commission releases them.

http://www.enr-scvotes.org/SC/16117/index.html
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2010, 05:38:47 PM »

I've added that link, along with the usual AP sites and Virginia's state board of elections. Anyone else with other sources of election information (preferably official, since aside from official sites, the AP is usually fastest) feel free to post them and I'll add them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2010, 07:17:18 PM »

There are primaries on the Lord's day of rest?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies