What if Quebec secession Vote had gone the other way?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:43:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if Quebec secession Vote had gone the other way?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Quebec secession Vote had gone the other way?  (Read 6691 times)
Justin
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2004, 01:35:05 PM »
« edited: March 14, 2004, 01:35:23 PM by Justin »

In 1995, the province of Quebec had norrowingly voted against secession in a 50.5%-49.5% federalist victory. What if Quebec secessionists had not stopped campiagning and had a better turn out giving the secessionists a victory. How would the rest of the world react? Would Chretien be forced to call a snap election? Would the Reform Party under Preston Manning form a new government? Would Canada fall apart?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 01:49:29 PM »

I remember hearing rumors that the maritimes might decide to join their southern neighbor if a Quebec secession split the country.  Could anyone imagine Prince Edward Island being a state? Smiley
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 02:00:04 PM »

I honestly don't think that Chretien would of let it work. If Quebec separated 1/4 of Canada would be split off. The problem with that referendum is that the definition of "sovereignty" was not well defined. It could of meant a quasi-independent colony like status, or comepletely separate Nation, or perhaps just more provincial control.

Quebec, sadly no one in Quebec felt to point this out to the separtists, is not economically feasible on its own. It does not produce enough food or industrial goods to supply itself through self-sufficiency or trade.

My thought is that the Republic of Quebec would be heavily in debt to both Canada and the United States by 2020. Eventually someone would propose a reduction of debt with a merger with Canada. Quebec would accept and finally the separtist debate would be over.

Siege40
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 11:32:41 PM »

If 50,1% had voted for secession, nothing would have happened except a few riots.
If something like 60% would have voted for it (unrealistic), it would have gone through though.
The Maritimes would certainly not be caught dead inside the US, but there were lots of people out West who said that back then. I guess Joining the US might have gotten majority support in Alberta and there'd have been an active movement pushing for it all over BC and the Prairies. In the end, however, Canada would have survived. And the Quebecois might well be begging to be let back in by now...
M

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 01:39:29 PM »

If Alberta did, I'm sure Saskatchewan would. MAnitoba and BC not as clear about. In a true disintegration where the country completely falls apart, might Newfoundland not go back to the UK?
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »

Newfoundland has a strong National streak, they'd go back to being the Dominion of Newfoundland. Also it depends on the type of separation Quebec gets, if it was only something small then Canada could stick together I think.

Siege40
M

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 06:06:30 PM »

Yes, I was envisioning the case of Quebec demands and receives total independence, resulting in complete or at least pretty bad disintegration of the True North Strong and Free.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 11:37:18 PM »

I remember hearing rumors that the maritimes might decide to join their southern neighbor if a Quebec secession split the country.  Could anyone imagine Prince Edward Island being a state? Smiley

Ugh, we wouldn't want them!  The last thing we need are more leftist voters.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 12:36:33 AM »

Um.. the maritimes tend to vote PC and are a lot closer to Maine than Mass.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 11:13:59 AM »

I think Prince Edward Island is bigger than Rhode Island. They could of always merged the two and called it Islands. But then Puerto Rico would want in.

Siege40
dunn

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 01:40:19 PM »

I think Prince Edward Island is bigger than Rhode Island. They could of always merged the two and called it Islands. But then Puerto Rico would want in.

Siege40

and Samoa
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 07:53:25 PM »

If the people of Quebec did indeed vote to secede, then the National Assembly would have had to pass a Bill to allow the province to remove itself from Canada. However, such a Bill would have had to receive Royal Assent, which would have had to have been granted by the Lieutenant Governor, who might not necessarily have been willing to do so.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 02:16:09 AM »

Its a very interesting idea...If Quebec became its own country then, as mentioned, it would cut off other provinces from the main part of country. Alberta is conservative and doesn't fit well with Canada and if Quebec successfully seceded, then Alberta might try as well. I've heard that Alberta's premier (like a governor) has threatened to make Alberta its own country or to try and join the U.S. However, I don't know if that is true. If Alberta did leave Canada, then the other central provinces might leave as well. I doubt British Columbia would want to join with Alberta or the United States, but they might simply because they would be cut off. The Maritime provinces (like Prince Edward Island) are to small to each become their own state. PEI only has like 100,000 people. The Maritime provinces could merge into one state though. I don't really know anything about Newfoundland, so I can't really comment on it either. It would be interesting if it did become its own country or rejoin Britain, though. And what about Nunavut, a gigantic but very unpopulated northern province (?) in Northern Canada? I've read it has a lot of self government already, perhaps it could become its own nation as well. So basically all we have left is Ontario being a part of Canada...I do like the idea of the United States being the biggest country by land area! Maybe we could take Greenland to. Hahaha.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 09:37:26 AM »

Firstly the Governor General and Leuitenant Governors were only really relevent in the 1800s and early 1900s. The elected officials command about the Governors now. I feel as though I should point out that just because the eastern regions were cut off it doesn't mean that the country is dead. Look at Russia, they have that... Kalingrad thing that use to be Prussia. Also trade would be very liberal and would work likely the same as it did with Quebec as a country. For any of the other provinces to seperate they would have to hold an election. People in the West never liked Quebec and often got in there way politically, with them gone Westerners could control the government.

Also I should point out that were the Atlantics to merge with America they likely would not merge, they are surprisingly different. New Brunswick might of actually seperated with Quebec, about 1/3-1/2 their pop is French. They would want better representation then the other states, you know, they have bery good representation in Canada they'd want equal.

The vote would have to be big though, +60%. The political mess following would be scary....

Siege40
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 12:23:22 PM »

Firstly the Governor General and Leuitenant Governors were only really relevent in the 1800s and early 1900s. The elected officials command about the Governors now.
The last withholding of Royal Assent occurred in the 1930s. In 1936, the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, John Bowen, withheld Assent on three bills, including one that would have restricted freedom of speech and was later declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court of Canada and then by Her Majesty in Council. The Lieutenant Governor performed such an action to maintain order and to restrict the overreaching Government: I think that a modern Lieutenant Governor should be able to perform such a function as well.
English

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 07:05:54 AM »

I'm familiar with NS and Atlantic Canada. There is no way they would ever vote to join the US. They're about a million times more likely to join the United Kingdom, which shouldn't be at all surprising when you consider most of the population are of recent Scots or Irish decent.
Have you ever seen the number of Union Jacks over there?

Also could you seriously imagine Newfoundland as a state of America?!
If Quebec achieved independence (highly unlikely), Canada would probably fracture into 4 independent countries.
Maritime Federation- NS, PEI, NL & NB with Halifax as capital city.
Quebec- Quebec City as capital.
Ontario- Toronto as capital (Not Ottawa, too many French).
Canadian Federation- BC, Al, Sa, Ma, YT, NWT & Nunavut with Vancouver as capital.

It's never going to happen though. There's more chance of the UK splitting into separate nations.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 05:21:14 PM »

I'm familiar with NS and Atlantic Canada. There is no way they would ever vote to join the US. They're about a million times more likely to join the United Kingdom, which shouldn't be at all surprising when you consider most of the population are of recent Scots or Irish decent.
Have you ever seen the number of Union Jacks over there?

Also could you seriously imagine Newfoundland as a state of America?!
If Quebec achieved independence (highly unlikely), Canada would probably fracture into 4 independent countries.
Maritime Federation- NS, PEI, NL & NB with Halifax as capital city.
Quebec- Quebec City as capital.
Ontario- Toronto as capital (Not Ottawa, too many French).
Canadian Federation- BC, Al, Sa, Ma, YT, NWT & Nunavut with Vancouver as capital.

It's never going to happen though. There's more chance of the UK splitting into separate nations.

Were that to happen the Yanks could pick us off one by one! A new reason to be a Nationalist, inevitable American invasion post-break up.

Siege40
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 12:29:51 PM »

I remember hearing rumors that the maritimes might decide to join their southern neighbor if a Quebec secession split the country.  Could anyone imagine Prince Edward Island being a state? Smiley

Ugh, we wouldn't want them!  The last thing we need are more leftist voters.

I love old opebo quotes.

Never forget.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies