When will there be another Peacetime President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will there be another Peacetime President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: When will there be another Peacetime President?  (Read 8667 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »

Of all the presidents of the last 100 years, only Taft, the 1920's Republicans, and Carter saw no war durring their presidencies. Depending on how you count Vietnam, JFK and Ford could be added.

Will this ever happen again?
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »

Of all the presidents of the last 100 years, only Taft, the 1920's Republicans, and Carter saw no war durring their presidencies. Depending on how you count Vietnam, JFK and Ford could be added.

Ehhh, probably not for a while. Someone somewhere's always going to claim that the war on terror is still going on.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »

Never. We've always been at war with Oceania Eastasia Terrorism.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:36:16 PM »

Which wars were Teddy Roosevelt, Reagan, and Clinton involved in? As to answer your question, either the next President after Obama or the President after that.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »

Which wars were Teddy Roosevelt, Reagan, and Clinton involved in? As to answer your question, either the next President after Obama or the President after that.

Reagan had Grenada and Clinton had Gulf War 1. TR was more than 100 years ago.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

There won't be one in the near future. The United States intervenes in conflicts (Whether they are "peacekeeping" or taking action against a rogue state) quite often, and will continue to do so.

Aren't you thinking of Bush Sr. in the middle of your post? He was president during the First Persian Gulf War.

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »

There won't be one in the near future. The United States intervenes in conflicts (Whether they are "peacekeeping" or taking action against a rogue state) quite often, and will continue to do so.

Aren't you thinking of Bush Sr. in the middle of your post? He was president during the First Persian Gulf War.

Grenada wasn't a formal war. It was more of a military operation. Same with Panama (which could be what he is talking about with Bush Sr.). Clinton did not have any wars that occured his watch. (As NiK previously mentioned, the Gulf War of 1990-1991 occured under Bush Sr.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 07:07:44 PM »

Well, some sources have Gulf War 1 ending in 1995, so I guess it's like Vietnam when it depends on where you place it.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »

Well, some sources have Gulf War 1 ending in 1995, so I guess it's like Vietnam when it depends on where you place it.

Those sources are stupid. The U.S. removed most of its troops from the Persian Gulf in 1991.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »

1995 is the offical end date for Operation Desert Storm, so they probably counted that as part of it.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »

1995 is the offical end date for Operation Desert Storm, so they probably counted that as part of it.

De facto, Operation Desert Storm ended in 1991. And all the sources I use show the Persian Gulf War lasting from 1990 to 1991.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »

Well, I guess you're right.

So Clinton is a peacetime president, but will it happen again?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 07:59:37 PM »

Well, I guess you're right.

So Clinton is a peacetime president, but will it happen again?

I'd say Yes. Once the U.S. gets out of Afghanistan and Iraq, it will be cautious to avoid other conflicts. And I'm not sure I would count Grenada as a war--it was more of a small-scale military operation (similar to Clinton's bombings of Serbia).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »

If we're not counting stuff like the Kosovo conflict as a "war" from the US side, then it'll probably happen as soon as the US withdraws from Afghanistan.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 11:23:42 PM »

If we're not counting stuff like the Kosovo conflict as a "war" from the US side, then it'll probably happen as soon as the US withdraws from Afghanistan.

Assuming the U.S. has withdrawn from Iraq before withdrawing from Afghanistan. When do you think the U.S. will withdraw from both those countries?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 03:29:17 AM »

Assuming the U.S. has withdrawn from Iraq before withdrawing from Afghanistan. When do you think the U.S. will withdraw from both those countries?

According to the status of forces agreement, the US is supposed to withdraw from Iraq by the end of 2011.  Even if that deadline isn't met, the number of remaining troops and the scope of their mission will be narrow enough that it won't count as "fighting a war" any more than the US mission in Somalia from 1992-93 was "fighting a war".

With Afghanistan, I really have no idea.  Obviously, it will continue beyond 2011.  Beyond that, I don't know.  That's why I started this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=117627.0
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 05:16:25 AM »

Of course it will happen, and the sooner will be the better.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 06:51:13 PM »

Not for awhile.

If all of these economic fixes don't work...somebody might cook up war somewhere to stimulate the economy.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »

There are already plenty of wars going on. I don't think a new war will fix things.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »

I don't think for a while. This country hasn't been at peace since the 1920's.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 10:49:09 PM »

There are already plenty of wars going on. I don't think a new war will fix things.
There is never enough war for some people. We are a species that likes war. That's been proven throughout the centuries.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 11:02:43 PM »

There is never enough war for some people. We are a species that likes war. That's been proven throughout the centuries.

It's unfortunate but as long as there is religion and money there will be war in the name of both. War is the natural order of things.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 12:12:17 AM »

1930-1941, 1975-1990, 1991-2001.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »

1930-1941, 1975-1990, 1991-2001.

Carter, Ford, and Eisenhower all had terms of relative peace. The last truly peaceful era though was during the sequential administrations of Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover, in between the reigns of terror of sadistic warmongers Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 12:44:58 AM »

Like I said earlier, it kind of depends on how you count Vietnam. Reagan and Clinton were relativly peacetime too, as Grenada wasn't a true war and Desert Storm was De Facto over by the time Clinton showed up.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies