Is The Extent of U.S. Support for Israel Absurd?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:58:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is The Extent of U.S. Support for Israel Absurd?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Is The Extent of U.S. Support for Israel Absurd?  (Read 9715 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »

In all fairness, though, the US does pay about 40% of the UN's bills. 

Is it not closer to 22% of the regular budget and 27% of the peacekeeping budget?

Busted.

Okay, I was just pulling a number out of the air.  How did I know anyone was actually going to look it up?  Still, the point stands.  22 to 27 percent of the overall budget ought to buy us permanent bullying rights, even if permanent bullying rights hadn't been established in the original founding documents.
WillK

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »

Is it not closer to 22% of the regular budget and 27% of the peacekeeping budget?

22 + 27 = 49. Take that, earth logic!

and 100 + 100 = 200!    [The 22% and 27% are percentages of two different totals, therefore it is illogical to add them.]
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 10:05:18 AM »

and 100 + 100 = 200!    [The 22% and 27% are percentages of two different totals, therefore it is illogical to add them.]

Indeed. That is why I wrote 'take that, earth logic!'
WillK

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »

Indeed. That is why I wrote 'take that, earth logic!'

Sorry, I thought you meant something different.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »

Busted.

Okay, I was just pulling a number out of the air.  How did I know anyone was actually going to look it up?

Welcome to the Atlas Forum Wink

For your bedside reading: the assessed national contributions to the UN peacekeeping budget – it contains the data for the percentage contribution for the regular budget as well.

Still, the point stands.  22 to 27 percent of the overall budget ought to buy us permanent bullying rights, even if permanent bullying rights hadn't been established in the original founding documents.

Japan is the second biggest contributor at around 12.5% for both budgets. Germany around 8%.
The EU member states’ contributions amount to 38.9% and 41.3% of the respective budgets.

Not sure at what level of contribution bullying rights should be acquired?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 03:10:32 PM »

No. The extent of left wing support for Terrorstine is though.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »

lol
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »

The US's bullying rights are clearly being held up just fine, btw.

I'm not knocking the fact that the US is a permanent veto-holder, and I reckon that the "premium" dues are commensurate with such privileges.  I'm just saying that if I weren't a yankee, and more specifically if I were a citizen of one of those nations that we seem to rub the wrong way by playing favorites, then I'd probably be disgusted with the whole arrangement.  But, the arrangement being what it is, I'd have to say that I'd rather be one of the hammers than one of the nails.  (To misquote, out of context, that old 17th-century Jose Milchberg song which was redone by Simon & Garfunkel about 40 years ago.)
Semaphore
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 07:17:52 PM »

Israel isn't a baby that needs to be fed and changed throughout the day. I'm sure that Israel can handle itself just fine. Yet we still feel the need to obsessively coddle and shelter it, thus wasting time and resources that could better be spent on fixing our own problems. Of course it's ridiculous.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »

Wow, for once I agree with Obamaisdabest...just lol....
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »

Maybe you're missing something in your take on it.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »

Maybe you're missing something in your take on it.

I'm sure he'll 'figure it out' in 3 months. Wink
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »

Joe Lieberman should be stripped of his citizenship and deported to Israel. So should anyone who donates to AIPAC.

I agree 100%.

I'm sure the Likud party would welcome Lieberman.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »

Joe Lieberman should be stripped of his citizenship and deported to Israel. So should anyone who donates to AIPAC.

I agree 100%.

I'm sure the Likud party would welcome Lieberman.

He'd be a better fit in the party of the other Lieberman, IMO.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:43 PM »

Don't necessarily like it but with all the bullies in the neighborhood having a big brother with his arms crossed behind you isn't necessarily a bad idea.
milhouse24
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 01:51:44 AM »

I think its just for oil and the US trying to influence oil supply. 

But I'm surprised that a country that values religious non-discrimination would support any religious theocracy.  I'm very pro-religious freedom, meaning its okay for someone to be pro-christian conservative, pro-catholic, jewish, pro-muslim, etc.  I think its extremely disgusting to discriminate against anyone based on religion or race, and it seems to me that Israel discriminates against religion and ethnicity for non-jews.  I think jews and muslims got along okay until israel declared statehood and a jewish theocracy and jewish-only govt is just not going to be acceptable to a region that has such a large muslim population.  The israeli govt should be non-religious and allow for complete religious freedom of govt officials.  They should not be bound to just one religion.  Maybe the world isn't big enough for all these religions.  I always thought America was a pretty great place for religious freedom and allowing people to strongly practice their faiths but apparently the rest of the world doesn't understand that Theocracies divide and create war. 

For those people who are anti-religion or atheists, then fighting over land based on religious factions is just silly, immature, and discriminatory.  Its time to love thy neighbor and work towards celebrating our different Faiths rather than trying to control the land.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »

Oil is an export of Israel? Interesting.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, that's cute and all, if both sides make that their goal. Back here in the real world however.
milhouse24
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 06:33:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, that's cute and all, if both sides make that their goal. Back here in the real world however.
I don't see why it would be so difficult to have a bipartison govt in Jeruselum with a Jewish and Muslim leader.  I think Palestinians would welcome greater involvement and influence in the Israeli govt.
milhouse24
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »

Maybe US operatives are trying to influence the mid-east oil countries somehow.  But war instability would actually drive up oil prices, maybe it helps texas oilmen? 

But I'm also surprised that "anti-religion yet pro-Israel Bill Maher" thinks that its okay to have separate yet equal Jewish and Palestinian states.  There was large Jewish immigration into Palestine and many of those Jewish new-comers eventually fought for against the Palestinians.  Instead of trying to take over Palestine and create their own Jewish Govt, they should have sought to create a partnership govt with the Palestinian inhabitants.  I don't think a "Separate but equal" solution is fair or historically accurate. 
Guderian

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2010, 04:50:13 AM »

I favor strong American support for Israel as a counterbalance to the impulses of destroying Israel as a Jewish nation-state that are so strong in the Muslim world. However, I think we are at the point where Israelis are getting too spoiled by that support and occasional tough love should be administered more often.
milhouse24
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »

I favor strong American support for Israel as a counterbalance to the impulses of destroying Israel as a Jewish nation-state that are so strong in the Muslim world. However, I think we are at the point where Israelis are getting too spoiled by that support and occasional tough love should be administered more often.

Maybe I'm naive, but for some reason I had always thought Israel was Secular just like the rest of the Western countries, especially the USA.  As an American, I completely believe in freedom of religion and all religions, and that the federal govt should not favor or discriminate against any religion.  As an American I also believe in democracy and majority rule, and it seems to me that Israel has tried to rule as a minority religion in an area where there are far more Muslims, historically in the Palestine area.  I know there was a history of British colonialism, Turkish colonialism, etc over Palestine and the Palestinian govt never really took hold before Israel and the Jewish immigrants announced independence.  It just seems un-American to support one religion over another, or support any theocratic government.  I believe that religious wars and fighting is stupid and every govt needs to be secular.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 02:52:39 AM »

That's nice and all, but if the nation of Israel was to go away it would most certainly be replaced by a govt that is MUCH more tied to a religion, just a different one.  Wishing all govts be secular is nice and all, but doesn't really change the facts on the ground.  You've heard of the people in charge of Gaza right?  But, one could argue, it won't necessarily be Hamas that takes over...maybe it would be a friendly govt like Egypt.  Ya know, the country that just released a guy that's been in prison for four years (and beaten, but that goes without saying) for "insulting" Islam.  link

I could go around the region finding stories like this, but I just remembered how these discussions always go.  It doesn't matter what information is put up, the anti-Zionists know they are right and know nothing is more important than getting rid of the state of Israel.  So I'll not waste any more of my time.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2010, 05:40:21 AM »

Eh.  If a Palestine had been born 20 years ago it'd have been on secular Arab nationalist grounds (probably similar to Syria or old Iraq).  If a Palestine is born 20 years from now, who knows what it'd subscribe to?  While you're right that at the moment, it'd probably be Hamas-dominated (though not much more than probably...the West Bank knows what a s**thole Gaza is), that won't necessarily always be the case.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2010, 09:12:54 AM »

Eh.  If a Palestine had been born 20 years ago it'd have been on secular Arab nationalist grounds (probably similar to Syria or old Iraq).
Two shining beacons on the hill there is no doubt. Wink

No thanks, I'll keep Israel.  The Palestinians are free to make a couple of new countries out of the land they do have.  Yes two.  There is no reason the reasonable people of the West Bank need to have the anchor that is Gaza tied around their necks.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »

I could go around the region finding stories like this, but I just remembered how these discussions always go.  It doesn't matter what information is put up, the anti-Zionists know they are right and know nothing is more important than getting rid of the state of Israel.  So I'll not waste any more of my time.

Is this a new variation on the victimhood card?

Because, of course, "Zionism" is completely synonymous with "Jewish Self Determination".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies