Is this billboard offensive?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is this billboard offensive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is this billboard offensive?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Is this billboard offensive?  (Read 1557 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:25:58 AM »

Of course not. Sadly some dumb prudish olds here complained and got them taken down.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:38:32 AM »

Oh, I get it.  That's supposed to be a hooker?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:38:46 AM »

That anyone could construe that as being offensive makes me fear for the future of humanity just a bit.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »

no
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:01:23 AM »

To me? No
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 01:03:41 AM »

Here's the Facebook page of the whining: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4311483&id=712103130

Bunch of olds as you can see. I'm sure the vast majority of people didn't care but they whined enough.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »

Best billboard ever.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:28:19 AM »

it's clearchannel.. of course it's offensive.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:16:17 AM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »

it's clearchannel.. of course it's offensive.

Yeah that's the most offensive part.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »

Clever!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »

Hahaha.  No.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 08:13:01 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2010, 08:15:44 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

It's incredibly dumb and screams "I CAN'T THINK OF ANY OTHER ADVERTISING STRATEGY!!!!".

Offensive? Yeah. Probably. "LOL PROSTITUTION IS TEH FUNNIEST!!!111 But it's okay.. we are being 'ironic'". God If I read that defense one more time for douchebaggery I'll.... I don't know but it will be bad.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »

Here's the ironic part. The most vocal of these prudes has this as her profile photo:

Which is more offensive now; a billboard using prostitution humor, or a parody of something that encapsulates what amounts to the worse in the human suffering?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 08:28:34 PM »

Here's the ironic part. The most vocal of these prudes has this as her profile photo:

Which is more offensive now; a billboard using prostitution humor, or a parody of something that encapsulates what amounts to the worse in the human suffering?

No. The difference is that the "Chairman Meow" poster is not there to advertise only to amuse. It also does not involve any real people like the model in the campaign. And finally (and most importantly) it's witty and has some originality and imagination to it (and I don't see how it is trivalizing the deaths of those under Mao), the billboard on the other hand...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 08:31:37 PM »

The billboard in the top post reminds me of a TV ad campaign for the "best strip joint in town" we had around here.  It featured a scantily-clad woman touting a local auto salvage yard where you can "strip" used parts from the hulks.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 08:34:09 PM »

No. The difference is that the "Chairman Meow" poster is not there to advertise only to amuse. It also does not involve any real people like the model in the campaign. And finally (and most importantly) it's witty and has some originality and imagination to it (and I don't see how it is trivalizing the deaths of those under Mao), the billboard on the other hand...

Witty? It's a pun.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »

Witty? It's a pun.

Still more intelligent than the billboard. (and while "witty" is a wrong word to use there is some intelligence in the Juxtaposition of images rather than the language. Nothing more than Internet humour, but what's wrong with that? Earth, I want a reply).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »

It's incredibly dumb and screams "I CAN'T THINK OF ANY OTHER ADVERTISING STRATEGY!!!!".

Offensive? Yeah. Probably. "LOL PROSTITUTION IS TEH FUNNIEST!!!111 But it's okay.. we are being 'ironic'". God If I read that defense one more time for douchebaggery I'll.... I don't know but it will be bad.

Uh, you like South Park.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 08:45:24 PM »

Uh, you like South Park.

"Douchebaggery" is the key word in the sentence. The South Park guys, at their best, are actually excellent satirists especially on TV/Movie conventions.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »

^^^

This. I wasn't personally 'offended' I just find it tacky and uninspired.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 08:53:03 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2010, 08:56:50 PM by Earth »

No. The difference is that the "Chairman Meow" poster is not there to advertise only to amuse.

That makes no difference. For all we know, this could serve as a legitimate advertisement for the artist's portfolio.

It also does not involve any real people like the model in the campaign.

That doesn't matter either. I used it to illustrate bad taste, which the prude seems to only selectively care about.

And finally (and most importantly) it's witty and has some originality and imagination to it

That's debatable, and irrelevant, too.

(and I don't see how it is trivalizing the deaths of those under Mao), the billboard on the other hand...

It trivializes the propaganda that it parodies, in an attempt to undermine it, but because the quality and witticism is debatable, I think it fails. It tries to separate the imagery from it's historical place, but fails.

My only problem is with the prude, not the attempt at humor in this Meow poster. Bad taste is fine, bad art is fine, but I take offense to the woman's seeming obliviousness; sanitized sex is a no-no, but monumental historical markers tied to Mao seem to completely pass her over.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »

Yes, yes, I understand your point about the prudery about sex versus the open trivalization of the violence of history that the poster represents. I disagree obviously.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True. But what if it does? Then it would only be bad art.

The billboard is trying to tap into cultural ideas about the female body, women and prostitution and does so in the totally crass, inane and offensive way that is the bedrock of so much of modern advertising. Remember the billboard is selling a product, a product which is not related in any way to what I just mentioned. They do this because they believe it will be effective (and judging from many of the comments here, it probably is). That's the important part - sexuality as a form of consumption to be played for 'irony'.

Fair enough. But I do think the example is silly because the example is not particularly strong. The poster strikes me as too inconquestial. It is basically nothing but irony.

Okay you might be right with debatable. But irrelevant?

I don't think so. The best way to deal with propaganda is to laugh at it often by underlining it's particular self-importance (I'm only talking about what we traditionally define as propaganda here. I would argue that the billboard would
count as propaganda too. Perhaps a more insidious one because we don't think of it as propaganda and thus dismiss it as much. Ever read The Space Merchants? It has some good stuff on this).

If I did a parody of North Korean propaganda right now (and many people on this forum have done so) would that be me trivalizing all that is happening in North Korea right now?
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2010, 09:52:08 PM by Earth »

True. But what if it does? Then it would only be bad art.

That is true, but then again, advertisement or not, I don't think it makes a difference. It's commercial role doesn't change the fundamental issue.

The billboard is trying to tap into cultural ideas about the female body, women and prostitution and does so in the totally crass, inane and offensive way that is the bedrock of so much of modern advertising. Remember the billboard is selling a product, a product which is not related in any way to what I just mentioned. They do this because they believe it will be effective (and judging from many of the comments here, it probably is). That's the important part - sexuality as a form of consumption to be played for 'irony'.

I don't disagree with this at all, but to me, if it comes down to trivializing, or exploiting sexuality (which I would go as far as to say is it's number one societal use), or exploiting authoritarian imagery that's tied to the massive injustices in China, I'd much rather sexuality be the victim here.

Fair enough. But I do think the example is silly because the example is not particularly strong. The poster strikes me as too inconquestial. It is basically nothing but irony.

But what makes the poster more inconsequential than the billboard?

The irony I see in this artwork (Meow) is the ignorance of it's importance within history juxtaposed with Mao's historical importance, if it has any irony to begin with.

Okay you might be right with debatable. But irrelevant?

I mean it's witticism, and imagination is irrelevant in determining the 'faux pas', or offensiveness, in regards to the thread's topic.

The best way to deal with propaganda is to laugh at it often by underlining it's particular self-importance (I'm only talking about what we traditionally define as propaganda here.

I agree, but then I would have to split hairs because of the very real possibility that this piece of artwork functions more as a piece of commerce than any genuine critique; it became kitsch instead of critique. That capitalism ended up erasing any possibility that we have to laugh at the actual piece of propaganda by the parody being the object of discussion instead of the propaganda it parodies.

But it's a whole other kettle of chinese fish.

I would argue that the billboard would count as propaganda too.

I agree. Economic propaganda if not political.

Perhaps a more insidious one because we don't think of it as propaganda and thus dismiss it as much. Ever read The Space Merchants? It has some good stuff on this).

I haven't read it, but I'll check it out now.

I don't think it's more insidious, partly because of what I was saying earlier; that sexuality has been rendered an exploitative tool in modern business, maybe fulfills it's role just as intended, to entice. It has bigger implications, but the billboard has no history compared to everything tied to the original Mao propaganda. Once again, if it's sexuality or history that needs to be trivialized, or denigrated, take the former.  

If I did a parody of North Korean propaganda right now (and many people on this forum have done so) would that be me trivalizing all that is happening in North Korea right now?

It could be. That could be your intention, or maybe not; I wouldn't know. What makes a big difference is the character that your art would take when disseminated, it's cultural use. Because the Mao poster was reduced to kitsch through parody, I think it stands as a bigger ethical failure than the billboard.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »

No - but I tend to be a bit more laxed about stuff like that.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies