Coons
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:24:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Coons
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coons  (Read 1069 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:41:25 AM »
« edited: June 06, 2010, 06:43:40 AM by Lunar »

FYI: any race jokes below won't be funny

This story is very illuminating for me that Coons is a smart politician, who may not win, but has good instincts or is guided by people who do.  Preemptive damage control for the win.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38143.html

Cognizant that his decision to raise taxes as a county executive will become fertile ground for Republican attacks, Delaware Senate candidate Chris Coons is attempting to soften the potential blow by embracing the move and explaining it as fiscally responsible.

“Chris Coons raised your taxes. Absolutely. Guilty as charged, your honor,” Coons told POLITICO Friday when asked about the biggest potential vulnerability he carries into his race against GOP Rep. Mike Castle.

The New Castle County executive said the 10-3 vote he helped engineer in May to pass a budget without a deficit included deep spending cuts and a $100 property tax increase.

He also identified it as the top piece of opposition research that would be leveraged against him but said that openly explaining the details would prove to be the best counterpunch.

Coons said he would answer the charge, potentially in television ads, with the message that the balanced budget he crafted delivered his county a Triple A bond rating and a $47 million dollar reserve without a deficit for the first time in a decade. The plan also included an $1,800 pay cut for the county’s 1,450 employees, which prompted public employee unions — a traditional Democratic constituency — to protest outside of Coons’ home.

“By explaining it, by saying, are you kidding me? Really? That’s it? So in other words, I should’ve laid off cops, closed down libraries, sold parks instead of raising taxes a hundred bucks a year?” Coons said, formulating his answer to expected tax hike attacks.

“What the average Delawarean wants is, spend my money well. Cut first, then if you’ve got to raise a little bit, OK. But I do not ever hear people complain that our tax burden is too high,” he added.

Asked if his local tax hike translated into voting for higher taxes as a senator, Coons became less candid but did not take the option off the table.

“I would be open to cutting spending first. ... We’ve got to restore fiscal discipline federally,” he said, hedging on the tax question.

Coons has recently taken aim at Castle for altering his approach to federal earmarking during an election year but said the driving argument against the nine-term congressman would be his votes over the years to deregulate the banking industry.

“Here’s a guy who for 18 years voted for every banking deregulation bill, very heavily supported financed by Wall Street,” said Coons, noting the financial job losses that occurred in The First State during the economic collapse. “It has huge resonance in our state.”

One of Coons’ biggest challenge will be persuading members of his own party to vote for a newcomer over Castle, a popular former governor who usually captures 65 percent of the vote during his reelection efforts and has built a reputation as a likable moderate deal broker.

Coons said he’ll attempt to amplify the rightward tilt of the national GOP and educate voters about Castle’s support for the anti-abortion Stupak amendment during the health care debate and his opposition to repealing the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy that only allows gays to serve in the military if they don’t disclose their sexual orientation.

“You’re right, they have a generally positive view of him. They generally think he’s a moderate. When you talk to people about his actual record, it is more conservative than they think or than they’re comfortable with,” he said.

“Republicans in Congress have very low approval. Simply reminding people that he is the Republican congressman and I am a Democrat moves people significantly. It’s surprisingly how much that moves people in the polls. This is not a state where I need to run away from being a Democrat.”

Castle campaign manager Mike Quaranta declined to respond to Coons’s argument, saying in a statement, “"Voters know that Mike Castle's record of independent, pragmatic decision-making reflects the interest of the residents of Delaware alone. As one of the few legislators able to build bridges and work with anyone in order to find common ground, Castle's manner reflects what voters want more of in Washington.”

A late April Rasmussen Reports poll gave Castle a 23-point lead over Coons.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:31:11 AM »

Wow, I thought you were talking about:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »

racist
Badlands17
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:09:17 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2010, 11:14:28 AM by Badlands17 »

Damn, I really like this guy just from this article. Just when I thought the DE Senate race was pretty much decided, Coons seems like he has what it takes to pull off a win. Very nice to see a politician who is open about raising taxes and doesn't hide from it, and can manage to talk in the press as if some of the voting public has an IQ above 80. Epic FF.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »

I'd basically written this one off but if Coons manages to tie Castle sufficiently to unpopular points like banking deregulation and support of DADT then he might be able to make the race competitive.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 02:45:21 PM »

Coons can at least out-campaign Castle who hadn't a serious race since time immemorial and after two mild heart attacks doesn't seem to have the appetite to go around the state asking for votes.
After all, that's how Brown beat Coakley. 
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »

I am surprised the Teabaggers are not helping Christine O'Donnell knock of Mike Castle in the Republican primary.

The teabaggers/Club for Growth were successful in PA-forcing Specter to become a Democratic and FL- forcing Crist to become an Independent. The Republican nominees in PA(Toomey-R) and FL(Rubio-R) are credible top tier Republican nominees in Swing states. They have a 50-50 chance of winning.

The teabaggers were sucessful in KY and UT- since both of these states are Red States. The Democratic nominee is going to be an underdog- In KY- Democrats have a top tier nominee-KY can be in play.

The teabaggers let Castle-DE of the hook because he is the only Republican that can win a US Senate Race in DE.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2010, 07:15:42 PM by Vander Blubb »

Coons' chances now go from 1% to 2%.  "Mr. Castle will raise taxes, and so will I.  He won't tell you.  I just did."  Coons-mentum!

Honestly, and not trying to be morbid here, there's only one way Coons wins this race.   
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 07:15:54 PM »

Coons' chances now go from 1% to 2%.  "Mr. Castle will raise taxes, and so will I.  He won't tell you.  I just did."

Coons-mentum!

Most here are too young to remember the provenance of that memorable line, VB.  Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »

Coons' chances now go from 1% to 2%.  "Mr. Castle will raise taxes, and so will I.  He won't tell you.  I just did."

Coons-mentum!

Most here are too young to remember the provenance of that memorable line, VB.  Smiley

I do!  Let's just hope it doesn't turn out for Coons the way it turned out for Mondale.Wink
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »

Coons' chances now go from 1% to 2%.  "Mr. Castle will raise taxes, and so will I.  He won't tell you.  I just did."

Coons-mentum!

Most here are too young to remember the provenance of that memorable line, VB.  Smiley

I do!  Let's just hope it doesn't turn out for Coons the way it turned out for Mondale.Wink

He may well win only one county.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »

Coons' chances now go from 1% to 2%.  "Mr. Castle will raise taxes, and so will I.  He won't tell you.  I just did."

Coons-mentum!

Most here are too young to remember the provenance of that memorable line, VB.  Smiley

I do!  Let's just hope it doesn't turn out for Coons the way it turned out for Mondale.Wink

Most Dems win in Delaware carrying only one county (out of the three).  Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »

Coons-mentum!

Most Dems win in Delaware carrying only one county (out of the three).  Smiley

Indeed, New Castle.

Bush won the other two but Kerry won New Castle and thus the state by 9 points.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies