Helen Thomas to Retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:43:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Helen Thomas to Retire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Helen Thomas to Retire  (Read 7940 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »

Old people lose their social filters......trust me we're dealing with it.   It was time she left before this anyway.

Very true. My grandmother got that way, when she hit about 95.  She just said what she felt, period. She once said when about that age that one of her granddaughters had a face that by comparison made a drowned rat look attractive (the granddaughter did not have much of a chin, giving her in that part of her face a bit of a Neanderthal aspect, which she inherited from her father).  

I wish I had a pic of my grandmother around. She had a very stern visage, with penetrating and judgmental eyes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »

Where I'm from, 'send the buggers back' is pretty much the definition of 'racist'.

Except there is a legitimate argument that the Israelis have no right to be there at all.

It's legitimate in the sense that laws are applied to Israel and the second- and third-generation children of immigrants there that are not applied to other nations. Generally, no nation has a "right" to exist except insofar as it can defend itself or get large patrons to defend itself.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2010, 04:09:43 PM by Grumps »

Old people lose their social filters......trust me we're dealing with it.   It was time she left before this anyway.

Very true. My grandmother got that way, when she hit about 95.  She just said what she felt, period. She once said when about that age that one of her granddaughters had a face that by comparison made a drowned rat look attractive (the granddaughter did not have much of a chin, giving her in that part of her face a bit of a Neanderthal aspect, which she inherited from her father).  

I wish I had a pic of my grandmother around. She had a very stern visage, with penetrating and judgmental eyes.

My mother-in-law is only 78 but hit hard by Parkinsons and some dementia........she's in assisted living.  Not so long ago when we took her to church, she saw an african-american gentleman in a nice suit who was leaving a wedding held at the church just before mass and loudly asked "Hey, whose the BLACK guy?"

That's only one of a many examples of her lack of filters......just happens
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »

Hey Roch, I do oppose settelements. Am I an anti-semite?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »

Good. Her actions are inexcusable. She just repeated Ahmadinejad's views. Besides, she's almost 90--it would be good for her and her health to retire at this point.

Please learn the difference between anti-semitism and opposition to existence of Israel.

Frt, I disagree with her.

And I concurr px75 reminds about neocon/conservative commentators.

Ahmadinejad also said he doesn't oppose the concept of a Jewish state--he just opposes one being created in Palestine.

Right... we started with Helen Thomas, now we're with Ahmadinejad. Who next? David Duke of Hitler? Roll Eyes

I'm just saying she and Ahmadinejad had the same positions on Israel and its existence and location.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »

People need to read a dictionary. Seems like the definition of both 'racist', and 'antisemite' has been forgotten.

Agreed - like many of the people who call people opposed to President Obama's agendas "racist" simply for opposing a black president. Tongue

Who did this?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »

People need to read a dictionary. Seems like the definition of both 'racist', and 'antisemite' has been forgotten.

Agreed - like many of the people who call people opposed to President Obama's agendas "racist" simply for opposing a black president. Tongue

Who did this?

Jimmy Carter.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 05:06:22 PM »

I'm just saying she and Ahmadinejad had the same positions on Israel and its existence and location.

Except one supports using military force, the other just wants to sit down.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »

If you oppose the existence of Israel and think the Jews should go back to Germany and Poland, where they were slaughtered in the millions by Hitler and his minions, then yes, you are an anti-Semite.  Just like Helen Thomas.  Good riddance to her!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »

I'm getting tired of these freaks who are getting off on bashing an 89-year-old woman. I hate them all.

I heard she use to date Martin Bormann.

Seriously, she's entitled to her opinion, which is lunacy.  She's a columnist, so she can give a political slant.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »

Not necessarily.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 06:04:02 PM »

What if she said to send African-Americans back to Africa?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 06:18:57 PM »

Mike Huckabee: "There is only one place on earth where the Jewish people could have a homeland that is consistent with their roots, whereas the Palestinians can create their homeland in many other places in the Middle East, outside Israel,"
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »

Fitting that Thomas finally says something worthwhile and gets forced to retire because of it.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »

There's a bit of a difference considering the circumstances that lead African-Americans to be in this country versus the circumstances that lead Israelis to being in Israel.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »

There's a bit of a difference considering the circumstances that lead African-Americans to be in this country versus the circumstances that lead Israelis to being in Israel.

Yeah, that holocaust is sooooo overrated.  And of course we all know there were no Jewish folks in the region at the time of Israel's creation, too.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »

Both were pretty brutal circumstances.   It's not like third-generation Israelis could even legally migrate back to Eastern Europe
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »

Fine, what if she said that Mexican-Americans should be kicked out?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »

Look at that. One of the few members of the press who is not an unquestioning lackey of the Israel lobby pushed out by the fake outrage of the Israel lobby.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »

Look at that. One of the few members of the press who is not an unquestioning lackey of the Israel lobby pushed out by the fake outrage of the Israel lobby.

Are you serious?  I don't think the comments should have forced her out, but what she said was reprehensible and disgusting.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »

Are you serious?  I don't think the comments should have forced her out, but what she said was reprehensible and disgusting.

No, it wasn't, but nice job parroting that dimwit Robert Gibbs.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »

The Israelis should get out of Palestinian territories, like she said. They are illegally occupying them and illegally settling in them.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »

Yeah, that holocaust is sooooo overrated.  And of course we all know there were no Jewish folks in the region at the time of Israel's creation, too.

I never said Israel didn't have a legitimate right to exist etc. and I also disagree with Thomas' comment. I just don't think the historial comparison is a good one.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »

The Israelis should get out of Palestinian territories, like she said. They are illegally occupying them and illegally settling in them.

Palestinian territory is whatever Israel makes it.  And besides, telling them to go back to Poland or Germany is beyond the pale.  It's insulting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »

Palestinian territory is whatever Israel makes it. 

Sure, just as General Government was what Nazi Germany made.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies