Second Terms.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:18:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Second Terms.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Second Terms.  (Read 3160 times)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »

Why are they almost always bad.

Bush- Katrina, Iraq
Clinton- Impeached
Reagan- Iran contra
Nixon- Watergate
LBJ*- Vietnam
Ike- Economic downturn. GOP loses very badly in '58
Truman*- Korea
FDR- Supreme Court packing plan
Wilson- League of Nations failure.

Coincidence or something more.

*Not a second term. But were incumbents who were reelected.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:01:19 PM »

Bush- Katrina, Iraq
Clinton- Impeached
Reagan- Iran contra
Nixon- Watergate
LBJ*- Vietnam
Truman*- Korea

You're forgetting that a lot of these Presidents also had problems in their first terms. FDR had the Great Depression, Truman had a severe recession and hyperinflation, Ike had a recession, Nixon had a recession and high inflation, Reagan had a severe recession, Clinton had a miserable screwup on healthcare reform, and Bush Jr. had a recession and 9/11. Also, a lot of the problems Presidents experienced in their second terms began in their first terms--such as Vietnam, Watergate, Iran-Contra, Clinton's affair, and the Iraq War. However, it does seem that in many cases the Presidents appear to care less and take more risks in their second terms simply due to the facts that they have nothing to lose electorally anymore.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »

Bush- Katrina, Iraq
Clinton- Impeached
Reagan- Iran contra
Nixon- Watergate
LBJ*- Vietnam
Truman*- Korea

You're forgetting that a lot of these Presidents also had problems in their first terms. FDR had the Great Depression, Truman had a severe recession and hyperinflation, Ike had a recession, Nixon had a recession and high inflation, Reagan had a severe recession, Clinton had a miserable screwup on healthcare reform, and Bush Jr. had a recession and 9/11. Also, a lot of the problems Presidents experienced in their second terms began in their first terms--such as Vietnam, Watergate, Iran-Contra, Clinton's affair, and the Iraq War. However, it does seem that in many cases the Presidents appear to care less and take more risks in their second terms simply due to the facts that they have nothing to lose electorally anymore.

Excuses, excuses. The fact of the matter is that all of the presidents listed sucked.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »

Bush- Katrina, Iraq
Clinton- Impeached
Reagan- Iran contra
Nixon- Watergate
LBJ*- Vietnam
Truman*- Korea

Excuses, excuses. The fact of the matter is that all of the presidents listed sucked.

Says you.
WillK

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:51:30 PM »

Bush- Katrina, Iraq
Clinton- Impeached
Reagan- Iran contra
Nixon- Watergate
LBJ*- Vietnam
Truman*- Korea

Jefferson - Embargo
Madison - War of 1812
Lincoln - well, lets just say his second term didn't go so well for him
McKinely - see Lincoln.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »

Bush- Katrina, Iraq
Clinton- Impeached
Reagan- Iran contra
Nixon- Watergate
LBJ*- Vietnam
Truman*- Korea

Every member of this site should be reading this one. ^^ Good point! I never thought I'd agree with you, but good point!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »

And don't forget McKinley and Lincoln's second terms either.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:05 AM »

And don't forget McKinley and Lincoln's second terms either.

Lincoln - well, lets just say his second term didn't go so well for him
McKinely - see Lincoln.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »

I will say that Eisenhower, Reagan, and Clinton had successful second terms for the most part.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »

I will say that Eisenhower, Reagan, and Clinton had successful second terms for the most part.

Ike-1958 and 1960 recessions
Reagan-Iran-Contra
Clinton-Impeachment
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »

Reagan-Iran-Contra
Clinton-Impeachment

Those are all minor. I've never heard anything bad about the 50's. How bad of a recession was it. The 1960 Presidential Election made the US look like heaven so Ike must have left on a good note. Ronald Reagan wasn't effected badly by that scandal and obviously recovered in no time. Clinton was popular when he left office because the GOP fell for his trick and went after his affair when there were 900 other things he could've been impeached for.
cpeeks
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 06:35:42 PM »

Reagan-Iran-Contra
Clinton-Impeachment

Those are all minor. I've never heard anything bad about the 50's. How bad of a recession was it. The 1960 Presidential Election made the US look like heaven so Ike must have left on a good note. Ronald Reagan wasn't effected badly by that scandal and obviously recovered in no time. Clinton was popular when he left office because the GOP fell for his trick and went after his affair when there were 900 other things he could've been impeached for.

900 Things? Really? Didnt Kenneth Star investigate him for 8 years and spend 80 million dollars, and didnt come up with one thing except for the lying under oath. Talk about a witch hunt. Too bad we didnt have an independent counsel when Dubya was in office. I would love to have seen that investigation, and trial that would have resulted.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 06:36:38 PM »

Reagan-Iran-Contra
Clinton-Impeachment

-The '50s were very, very, far from perfect.
-Reagan's approval rating stayed in the 40s and low 50s for nearly all of 1987, also, he had the Stock Market Crash of 1987.
-What else would Clinton have been impeached on?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »

Reagan-Iran-Contra
Clinton-Impeachment

Unemployment hit 7.5% in 1958, then came down to 4.8%, and then bounced back up to 6.6% by the time Ike left office. And Reagan's approval ratings did take a hit by Iran Contra. They were in the 40s for a year or two and then they were in the low 50s for another year, in comparison to over 60% before Iran-Contra broke out. Also, Reagan had high unemployment (at about 6.5-7.5%) for a large part of his second term. As for Clinton, the impeachment didn't hurt his job approval ratings, but it did take away a lot of time that could have been used to handle more important issues.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »

Reagan-Iran-Contra
Clinton-Impeachment

900 Things? Really? Didnt Kenneth Star investigate him for 8 years and spend 80 million dollars, and didnt come up with one thing except for the lying under oath. Talk about a witch hunt. Too bad we didnt have an independent counsel when Dubya was in office. I would love to have seen that investigation, and trial that would have resulted.

1. He ATTEMPTED TO LEGALIZE DOMESTIC SPYING after the Oklahoma City bombing. Nixon was accused of this in WATERGATE!!! (This could've been avoided without Waco.)
2. He issues an executive order to SEARCH PUBLIC HOUSING WITHOUT A WARRANT.
3. Communications "Decency Act" which would've outlawed discussing abortion online.
4. The David Koresh raid. Koresh COULD'VE BEEN ARRESTED IN THAT TOWN instead of the ridiculous riots that took place at his home. There would've been NO OKLAHOMA CITY BOMBING without the Waco incident.
5. He made up the bogus accusation of child abuse to storm into Waco which IS NOT A FEDERAL OFFENSE. Texas was capable of taking care of that themselves.
6. WARS IN HAITI, SOMALIA, and BOSNIA WITHOUT A CLEAR PURPOSE (Bush was clear as to why we invaded Iraq).
7. The appointment of Janet Reno who participated in MISTREATING PRISONERS in Dade County. Oh that's right, it's ok to MISTREAT PRISONERS as long as they are AMERICAN CITIZENS. He had a second class view of American citizens.
8. Clinton sent terror suspects to countries where they could be TORTURED!!!
9. White House for sale. He rented rooms in the White House to foreigners and used the money towards his 1996 reelection campaign.
10. No effort was done to understand McVeigh's motivations.
cpeeks
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2010, 07:39:06 PM by cpeeks »

HMM if Kenneth Star could have proved any of that he would have charged him.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »

I just deleted a number of posts bickering back and forth posts about Bush 43 that had nothing to do specifically with his second term, making them off toic for this thread and not informative enough to be worth splitting into a separate thread.  Please keep threads civil and on topic.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »

I wish Bush would've been more like his first term in his second term.
cpeeks
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »

I really cant say it was any worse than is first, unlike some people I understand Katrina wasnt his fault. He cant controll a hurricane, and for the first week they couldnt do anything till the waters resended. Those people knew what was coming, they shoulda left.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »

I really cant say it was any worse than is first, unlike some people I understand Katrina wasnt his fault. He cant controll a hurricane, and for the first week they couldnt do anything till the waters resended. Those people knew what was coming, they shoulda left.

There's more than just that. I agree with Katrina and while the government's response was bad I also am sick of hearing about it. He stopped advancing his agenda about a year after he got reelected. The last push for conservatism was when he tried to privatize social security.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies