The Curious Case of Alvin Greene
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:40:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Curious Case of Alvin Greene
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Poll
Question: ***
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: The Curious Case of Alvin Greene  (Read 15479 times)
politicalchick20
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
« edited: June 14, 2010, 02:35:21 PM by I Heart Brad the Beautiful »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/06/09/south_carolina_democrats_try_to_push_nominee_out.html
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:41:25 PM »

Maybe Obama can offer him a government job, to "solve" this little matter. He seems to have had considerable practice at this endeavor, and he tells us it is all legal, so why not? Just why this dude would exit for free escapes me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »

Why bother? It's not a competitive seat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:06:40 PM »

One can always hope. Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »

Who knows?  Maybe they hope someone will dig up a DeMint/Haley tryst? 0:)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »

I will say that from reading some of Greene's statements, he seems to be insane.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »

But he's so well spoken...
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/meet-south-carolina-senate-shocker-10870806
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:47:56 PM »

California Republicans nominated a total nobody for Insurance Commisioner.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/opinionshop/detail?&entry_id=65427
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »

I'd vote for him
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »

I will say that from reading some of Greene's statements, he seems to be insane.

Where did he get the $10k to run, but then not campaign at all, as he still lives with his parents and is unemployed?
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »

WOW. What a weird video. And yet, some might like a man of few words like that. Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:47 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2010, 10:15:44 PM by Lunar »

Why does the DSSC care about this, again?

Why is Menendez waisting press time pushing people out of a South Carolina race?  

And, it should be said, Greene's win here has nothing to do with his race.  The turnout maps don't reflect that, and the fact that Greene didn't campaign whatsoever, and no one knew who we was, should certainly affect that.  Hell, there's a billionaire self-funder running in the Florida Democratic primary, who is Jewish, with the last name Greene.

He won the primary by a greater amount than Obama beat Mccain in 2008 nationally.  If the choice of the national or statewide Democrats can't run over 40% in the Democratic primary, it's time to move on.  I don't see why it's even worth printing a few pieces of paper, at 1 cent each, for the national Democratic party.   DeMint is going to be DeMint, and focus his attention nationally, no matter who you run.  
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »

Why is Menendez waisting press time pushing people out of a South Carolina race?  

And, it should be said, Greene's win here has nothing to do with his race.  The turnout maps don't reflect that, and the fact that Greene didn't campaign whatsoever, and no one knew who we was, should certainly affect that.  Hell, there's a billionaire self-funder running in the Florida Democratic primary, who is Jewish, with the last name Greene.

He won the primary by a greater amount than Obama beat Mccain in 2008.  If the choice of the national or statewide Democrats can't run over 40% in the Democratic primary, it's time to move on.  I don't see why it's even worth printing a few pieces of paper, at 1 cent each, for the national Democratic party.   DeMint is going to be DeMint, and focus his attention nationally, no matter who you run. 

No idea. Pipe dream that this odd occurrence could lead to a better candidate/a better shot in the fall?

That's all I've got, and it ain't much. It's still Safe GOP.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »

He won the primary by a greater amount than Obama beat Mccain in 2008.  If the choice of the national or statewide Democrats can't run over 40% in the Democratic primary, it's time to move on.  I don't see why it's even worth printing a few pieces of paper, at 1 cent each, for the national Democratic party.   DeMint is going to be DeMint, and focus his attention nationally, no matter who you run. 

No idea. Pipe dream that this odd occurrence could lead to a better candidate/a better shot in the fall?

That's all I've got, and it ain't much. It's still Safe GOP.

Probably less of a pipe dream, and more of a desire for a squeaky clean candidate who may not draw negative national press attention for an ongoing investigation or whatever that thing is that Greene's got.

Also, surely is somewhat of an obligation of the national party to the local party which is solidly behind the other candidate.

Imo, the best solution for the DSCC would have been to ignore the results entirely, and if they generated coverage, THEN push for him to withdrawal.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »

I still can't get over this. My friend, who worked for the Rawl campaign, is still in shock today.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2010, 10:34:24 PM by Lunar »

I still can't get over this. My friend, who worked for the Rawl campaign, is still in shock today.

How much work did the Rawl campaign do?  Did they get the endorsement of every county party, travel the state and put 50k miles on their truck, etc?

Or did they take their primary as a given, and hoard money, and wait until the general, when they could actually start taking more conservative positions?

Obviously you wouldn't want to begin your campaign in South Carolina with a bunch of progressive debates to give your nobody opponent name recog, but still, you have to do SOMETHING...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 10:56:20 PM »

How much work did the Rawl campaign do?  Did they get the endorsement of every county party, travel the state and put 50k miles on their truck, etc?

Or did they take their primary as a given, and hoard money, and wait until the general, when they could actually start taking more conservative positions?

Obviously you wouldn't want to begin your campaign in South Carolina with a bunch of progressive debates to give your nobody opponent name recog, but still, you have to do SOMETHING...

I really have no idea. He held a lot of events throughout the state and was connected via Facebook, his website and Twitter (my friend was in charge of his FB page). He didn't raise that much money though. He had about $186,000 to DeMint's $3.5 million. I never saw a TV commercial from him, but I did see car stickers and radio ads.

Granted, I live in Charleston and he lived here, and his main support base was here (he won only Charleston a few scattered counties), so maybe he just neglected the rest of the state.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »

Too bad his last name isn't Anderson so he'd be in front of DeMint, too.

How apocalyptic would it be if Rand Paul and Sharron Angle wouldn't the craziest United States Senator?  And Tom Coburn would fall out of the Top 5?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 09:06:32 AM »

I know in Massachusetts, veterans are able to have their veteran status listed on the ballot. Is that the case in South Carolina? Because if so, it's way easier to understand how a nobody could win a primary filled with (let's face it) two nobodies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »

I know in Massachusetts, veterans are able to have their veteran status listed on the ballot.

If so, that's beyond stupid.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »

I still don't understand how this could have happened.  Why doesn't the media ask the Democratic voters themselves why they picked this guy?  First on the list?  A more pleasing name?

Voters just didn't have information and the Parties simply do not have the resources to let enough people know - and in some cases it would be against their own by-laws even if they could.

In TN-08 in 2006 we did have that exact circumstance occur.  We had a candidate from Tipton County - Rory Bricco -, who was campaigning at events all around the district and trying to actually make a race of it.  He was defeated in the primary by a guy who lives outside the district and who did not campaign at all.  Why?   Because the winner's name was "John Farmer" which sounded more wholesome than Rory Bricco, who actually was a farmer.

Also in 2006 the Tennessee Republican Party had recruited State Senator Jim Bryson to be a sacrificial lamb against Bredesen for Governor -- which was kinda sad since Bryson is a truly good man and a loss for our legislature.  However, Tennessee's ballot access laws are very loose and at least four or five other candidates also filed.  There were no ads, mail, or anything but word of mouth during the primary but somehow Bryson still won and only lost a few counties.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 10:37:42 AM »

In 2008 for one of the judicial elections I voted in the first round just for the candidate whose name most sounded like a stripper's.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFN7ZkjgkA
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 11:07:05 AM »

I'd pay good money to see a debate between this man and Sarah Palin.
Mjh

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »

Why is it interesting who the Democrats nominates against DeMint?

It isn't like "Simple Jack" there will break 45% anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies