The Curious Case of Alvin Greene (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:40:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Curious Case of Alvin Greene (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ***
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: The Curious Case of Alvin Greene  (Read 15595 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »

Why bother? It's not a competitive seat.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »

I know in Massachusetts, veterans are able to have their veteran status listed on the ballot.

If so, that's beyond stupid.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:37:42 AM »

In 2008 for one of the judicial elections I voted in the first round just for the candidate whose name most sounded like a stripper's.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

I'm actually more interested in why it costs that kind of money to file for election? Seems it's not even a deposit? How can that be constitutional in any democracy? Pretty perv.

I'm more bothered by the fact that you can be denied a public defender if you aren't poor enough.

As for why the deposit is so high though, remember that this is South Carolina, which has never exactly been a bastion of good democratic practices. They can't get away with the poll taxes anymore but this is different.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »

That's how most states do it. In Minnesota you need either 2000 signatures or a $400 fee for Senate, and that's the stiffest requirement for any office. I'm not sure how many signatures SC requires, but that is a pretty draconian filing fee regardless.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »

Some of it may be to do with the fact that Greene is Black, not mixed.

But... well... for a total nobody to be a Senate paper candidate? Not state house, county sheriff (of a major county), whatever? When's the last time that happened? Great Depression era?

Not that uncommon really. Hell we have a solid example only two years ago: https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=2008&fips=30&f=1&off=3&elect=0

I also think Chuck Hagel's opponent in 2002 was a truck driver or something. And McCain's in 2004 I believe was a middle school teacher though granted he ran a relatively serious campaign.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »

Some of it may be to do with the fact that Greene is Black, not mixed.

But... well... for a total nobody to be a Senate paper candidate? Not state house, county sheriff (of a major county), whatever? When's the last time that happened? Great Depression era?

Not that uncommon really. Hell we have a solid example only two years ago: https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=2008&fips=30&f=1&off=3&elect=0

I also think Chuck Hagel's opponent in 2002 was a truck driver or something. And McCain's in 2004 I believe was a middle school teacher though granted he ran a relatively serious campaign.

Also with some research it appears that Byrd's 2000 opponent raised literally $0. Figure might be somewhat inaccurate for obvious reasons, but the point is clear.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »

BTW I'm curious who this black candidate for Governor in Mississippi was that useful idiot mentioned. It obviously wasn't in 2000 like he said because Mississippi has its gubernatorial elections in odd years and in 2000 Mississippi had a white Democratic Governor (Ronnie Musgrove who was elected in 1999.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies