The Curious Case of Alvin Greene (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:21:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Curious Case of Alvin Greene (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ***
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: The Curious Case of Alvin Greene  (Read 15599 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: June 12, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »

In the 1930 census, I have "Green" being 66.0% white, while "Greene" is 79.3% white.  Obviously, there are big caveats on this (namely, that the census had names written down by enumerators, who often didn't ask for spellings of names... woe upon those who were illiterate Tongue), but... at least it's data rather than anecdote.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 02:27:35 PM »

Oh, I wasn't doing the "can has sources" thing as a slight against anyone in the thread, I was just annoyed by a lot of the airheaded punditry being spouted on the news.  I didn't even know the census bureau had current statistics on last names and race.  ˇSorpresa!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »

In the 1930 census, I have "Green" being 66.0% white, while "Greene" is 79.3% white.  Obviously, there are big caveats on this (namely, that the census had names written down by enumerators, who often didn't ask for spellings of names... woe upon those who were illiterate Tongue), but... at least it's data rather than anecdote.
Is this for South Carolina or the US?

There could be big regional differences.  If there is a large slave plantation like you had in South Carolina, then it would be like some Mormon polygamist with dozens of "children" who have his surname.

I think that Greene would be a favored spelling in South Carolina (and perhaps much of the US, because of Nathanael Greene, who was head of American forces in the south during the Revolution.

There are counties named for Greene in NY, PA, VA, NC, GA, AL, MS, AR, TN, KY, OH, IN, IL, WI, MO, and IA.  Practically every state that had any counties to be named after someone, up through about the mid 19th century named a county for him.  Greenville, South Carolina and Greensboro, NC are both named for him.

So if you weren't sure how your name was spelled, you might be more likely to choose Greene, if that is the way it was spelled in your history books.

Nice hypothesis, but...

White Greens: 571
Black Greens: 2308
White Greenes: 139
Black Greenes: 176

(in 1930.  caveats apply)

"Greene", in general, is a much less common last name than "Green".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies