The Curious Case of Alvin Greene (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:40:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Curious Case of Alvin Greene (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ***
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: The Curious Case of Alvin Greene  (Read 15512 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 09, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »

Who knows?  Maybe they hope someone will dig up a DeMint/Haley tryst? 0:)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »

This story is sad.  It's amazing to me how all the dems are trying to question this guys background as if he isn't good enough to be on their ticket.  It's pretty close to racist with some of the questions in the media like where did this black man get his money?  He's a republican plant. etc.

No one seemed to be asking these questions when dems were electing another certain black man who came from nowhere and had an even shadier background than Greene.

Congratulations!

Your post was so hackishly anti-Obama, you've earned a rare honor, a spot on my personal ignore list.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2010, 03:43:50 PM by True Federalist »

I'm actually more interested in why it costs that kind of money to file for election? Seems it's not even a deposit? How can that be constitutional in any democracy? Pretty perv.

The fee is 1% of the salary for the office, assuming a candidate wins and serves the full term.  A candidate could always go the petition route, which for a statewide office in South Carolina is 10,000 signatures.  The requirement for a petition candidate for any office is 5% of the registered voters eligible to vote for an office, with a cap of 10,000 signatures, which comes into play with the Statewide offices, Congressman, some of the Solictor districts and countywide offices in the three largest counties of Charleston, Greenville, and Richland.

U.S. Senate has the highest filing fee of any office on the ballot this year, since it has a 6 year term and the highest annual salary.  If he'd chosen to run for the S.C. House, he'd have only had to pay a $208 filing fee. Least expensive filing fee this year was for Anderson County Council, $178.60

Also, for parties that choose to nominate by convention instead of a primary, their candidates don't have to pay a filing fee either.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »

This story is sad.  It's amazing to me how all the dems are trying to question this guys background as if he isn't good enough to be on their ticket.  It's pretty close to racist with some of the questions in the media like where did this black man get his money?  He's a republican plant. etc.

No one seemed to be asking these questions when dems were electing another certain black man who came from nowhere and had an even shadier background than Greene.

Congratulations!

Your post was so hackishly anti-Obama, you've earned a rare honor, a spot on my personal ignore list.
Uh since youre ignoring me you probably wont read this but Ive been on here for months, and if you didnt know I was spectacularly anti-Obama until now, I think youve been living under a giant rock.  Whether its hackish or not, what about what I wrote isn't true? 

Greene lives with his mom and Obama is a Harvard/Columbia graduate...Obama actually has charisma...

Magic, unlike some people who post here, I don't read every post of every thread.  I make liberal use of the Mark as Read button.  In any case, it isn't the fact that you're anti-Obama that caused me to put you on ignore.  It was that your post was so separated from anything approaching reality that caused me to do so.  It was the same level of hackishness if someone from the Democratic side claimed that Bush 41 was stranger than Rand Paul.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »

The fee for US Senate is 6% of the salary.  The fee for US House is 2% of salary (Representative and Senators are paid the same salary, so it looks like they said OOPs we better make them different percentages)

Fees for state and county offices appear to be 4% of salary, so there are some judgeships in larger counties where the fee is around $5000.  So Greene got a bargain for a statewide race.

The figure is 1% of the annual salary, times the number of years the office is for.  So DeMint and Clyburn end up paying the same amount after six years, it's just that Clyburn gets to pay for his safe seat in three easy installments.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »

So if I ever run for office I should use my middle name,, as it starts with an A. Gotcha.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies