Given Rassmussen's enormous credibility problems/extreme outliers...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:41:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  Given Rassmussen's enormous credibility problems/extreme outliers...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Given Rassmussen's enormous credibility problems/extreme outliers...  (Read 1218 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:55 AM »

...what would everyone's thoughts be on no longer including them in the polling database?

I think it makes sense at this point.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »

No.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:52:18 AM »

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »

lol
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »

Thanks for proving just how massive a hack you are.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »

It has actually been more staple than Gallup and PPP.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »

(also)

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 01:43:22 PM »

Rasmussen has no credibility problem.  He is polling likely voters while others are still polling registered voters.  Likely voters tend to be more Republican in most cycles.  And because trends matter more than actual numbers at this point, knowing if likely voters are trending more Republican or Democratic at this point than mere registered voters in other polls is an important piece of information.

Better idea: why don't we just exclude any poll that isn't good for the Democrats from the polling database.  That's what you really want.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »

The reason why it is not only no, but HELL NO is because we know why they are so off and we can be reasonably sure that they will become more accurate as we get close to end.

1) They poll LIKELY VOTERS, wow

2) They have a TIGHT VOTER SCREEN, uhh ahhh

These will produce some differences with other polls, but there methods are well known and we have no reason to toss out a poll that has been dead on accurate three election years  running, in the end of the season, based on polls six months from the election and the talking points of leftwing media outlets.

Please lets stop the echo chamber in these parts of the forum and start thinking for yourselves.

Whats next SurveyUSA, PPP.

I suppose we shall only include R2K polls from now on? They are the ones with a credibility problem, not Rasmussen. Rassy knows how his system works and hence his unwillingness to risk his credibility this far out, such caution isn't surprising.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »

Thanks for proving just how massive a hack you are.

Also, what cinyc said.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »

We can all question the wisdom of polling likely voters this far from election day, but it seems ridiculously rash to stop entering Rasmussen polls given his historically strong track record &, as Yankee pointed out, actual valid reason for being off this far out.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2010, 05:54:36 PM by WEB Dubois »

Actually, except for the PA senate and OH governor races, the PPP and Rasmussen have been on the same page up until this point on polling.

The poll in Nevada was accurate.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »

How do you know?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »

Yeah, that totally must be why I created this thread.  It couldn't possibly be because I was genuinely floating an idea.  Roll Eyes   Look it's one thing if you are going to give reasons why this would be a bad idea, as Give'em Hell Yankee, PiT, J.J., and Cynic did (although Cynic couldn't help throwing in a juvenile insult at the end).  It's another if you can't defend your position so you resort to name-calling like Officepark and SvenssonRS Angry .  For the record, I consider R2K much worse than Rasmussen.  And in hindsight this was a bad idea, and I'll be the first to admit that.  But that's all it was: a well-intentioned bad idea, not some big conspiracy to inflate Democratic numbers.  I know this forum has hacks on both sides, but I'm not one of them.  A bad idea is not the same as partisan hackery, and its sad if some of us have become so jaded that we think everyone is looking to twist the facts and distort reality.  I'm only human.  I like to think that I'm rather intelligent, but even the smartest poster on the forum (which I most certainly am not) makes a dead-wrong call or has a really bad idea every now and then.  I had a bad idea, I'll be the first to admit that.  But I resent these accusations that I'm some hack trying to pervert the facts so they fit some self-delusion.  Hopefully, some of you aren't so cynical and jaded that you see a conspiracy behind even the most well-intentioned mistakes.  And to those of you that are that cynical, I feel sorry for you!
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 07:34:22 PM »

Yeah, that totally must be why I created this thread.  It couldn't possibly be because I was genuinely floating an idea.  Roll Eyes   Look it's one thing if you are going to give reasons why this would be a bad idea, as Give'em Hell Yankee, PiT, J.J., and Cynic did (although Cynic couldn't help throwing in a juvenile insult at the end).  It's another if you can't defend your position so you resort to name-calling like Officepark and SvenssonRS Angry .  For the record, I consider R2K much worse than Rasmussen.  And in hindsight this was a bad idea, and I'll be the first to admit that.  But that's all it was: a well-intentioned bad idea, not some big conspiracy to inflate Democratic numbers.  I know this forum has hacks on both sides, but I'm not one of them.  A bad idea is not the same as partisan hackery, and its sad if some of us have become so jaded that we think everyone is looking to twist the facts and distort reality.  I'm only human.  I like to think that I'm rather intelligent, but even the smartest poster on the forum (which I most certainly am not) makes a dead-wrong call or has a really bad idea every now and then.  I had a bad idea, I'll be the first to admit that.  But I resent these accusations that I'm some hack trying to pervert the facts so they fit some self-delusion.  Hopefully, some of you aren't so cynical and jaded that you see a conspiracy behind even the most well-intentioned mistakes.  And to those of you that are that cynical, I feel sorry for you!

Fine, fine, I too am wrong, I apologize. So you're not a hack after all.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »

PPP has an outstanding record on predicting races and they are on par with Rasmussen on most races except for OH and PA, since they haven't polled a Nevada senate race poll, Rasmussen poll, is the one to look at, not the Kos poll.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:14 PM »

PPP has an outstanding record on predicting races and they are on par with Rasmussen on most races except for OH and PA, since they haven't polled a Nevada senate race poll, Rasmussen poll, is the one to look at, not the Kos poll.

I am curious as to why they have different results in OH. I am looking to see if Kasich shows any momentum in OH, Rassy had him tied while everyone else had him down, now Rassy has him up by 5 or 6. Another poll or two showing some movement from a different company would confirm my hunch.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 08:42:05 AM »

Bad idea. While their usual mild in-house GOP lean seems to have gone off the charts lately, such recent (and hopefully short term) "WTF??" results are hardly a reason to exclude their polls.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies