The Island (Election and Governing Game)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:19:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Island (Election and Governing Game)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: The Island (Election and Governing Game)  (Read 13809 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
« edited: June 17, 2010, 12:58:53 AM by Teddy »

Seeing as there are only 9 within the group at this time who want to run for leader, the group makes the first election of the executive council unanimous. All players are now on the executive, and any empty spots will be filled by Jenny, Ralph, and other NPC's as needed. Candidates for President have 24 hours to make speeches and try to woo the council to vote for them.

(It would not make sense for a player to be powerless Tongue that's why this has been done this way)

* Also, it is presumed that once the council elects as President, Paul will take the empty seat.

** Also, players always displace NPCs, so if a new player joins, the NPC will be written out of the scenario as though they had never existed. This is supposed to be a player driven game!
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 01:52:54 AM »

OOC: It seems that you have proceeded while I was writing my post. Before balloting had begun, I wanted to agree with Ralph's proposal for a cabinet, and propose these as the cabinet positions (one for each member of the council).

Secretary of Food and Water: Responsible for hunting, fishing, collecting berries, collecting water, and ensuring that there is enough food and water for everyone.
Secretary of Shelter: Responsible for building shelters and other structures, and for maintaining them.
Secretary of Resources: Responsible for collecting resources not related to food and water, for use as tools, clothing, etc.
Secretary of Defense: Responsible for protecting our community against potential threats, and maintaining the peace within the community.
Secretary of Exploration: Responsible for exploring and mapping the island, and identifying places of interest.
Secretary of Labor: Responsible for evaluating the various talents possessed by each member of the community, and assigning each member to work where their talents are required.
Secretary of Health: Responsible for treating injuries and sicknesses, and promoting the general health of the community.
Secretary of Constituent Services: Responsible for maintaining communication between the community and the government, and addressing the concerns of the people.
Liaison Secretary: Responsible for maintaining communication and cooperation within the government, and serves as Chairperson during meetings of the panel.

It seems you have also misinterpreted part of my plan. My intent was that the people vote for the President, not the council. Also, with the addition of the cabinet, I would have suggested that each cabinet position is an elected office, and that during elections, candidates would specifically indicate their intention to run for whichever cabinet position they preferred.

Assuming that Plan Four is still adopted with these changes, I respectfully decline to run for the Presidency (citing lack of experience), and would run instead for the position of Liaison Secretary.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 02:13:45 AM »

Of course, the election will be open to everyone. Just wanted to get rolling.

Usually, in life, the less I say the better I do. This game seems to be the exact opposite!!
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 02:32:05 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2010, 02:33:47 AM by Teddy »

Note that players above will 'bump' anyone from the below list. Presuming the current pace of players joining remains the same, I don't see all 9 positions being filled by players by the time we really get flying here. Therefore, I am going to "cheat" and name the people who would win the posts if no players run for the spots.

Food and Water - Ralph
Shelter - Ricky
Resources - Chris
Defense - Harry
Exploration - Jenny
Labo(u)r - Paul (spelling is open to both Tongue to prevent arguments)
Health - Kelly
CS - Tanya

Chris says the department would work with the Department of Exp for the time being, and expects the two to be tied together for a little while.

The Departments of Shelter and DoFaW are already clashing, and are also clashing with Exp, and are asking for Labour to sort it out. Paul says this will be the first thing the new President will have to deal with.

Kelly and Tanya have taken to speaking to members of the group. Many are very concerned as they are on prescriptions and do not have them with them.

Tanya reports that all members of the group speak English. "51 are from the United States, 17 from Britain, 15 from Canada, 11 from Australia, and 6 from elsewhere"; Further that "61 are male, 39 are female"; that "81 are age 25 or younger". Lastly, no one feels sleepy or hungry at this point in time.

Lastly, Paul reports that some members are skilled in some areas, but the bulk of the group is, as he delicately put it, "not quite as skilled". Around 10 members have "extraordinary mental skill" and are "Suited for top government jobs" (Including himself, and fellow executive members of course) while around 15 other members are "physically skilled" including one man who claims he can catch fish with his bare hands, another who claims to be able to lift 1000lbs, and looks it, and a woman who is a "trained cartographer". They have expressed preferences for where to work, but the other 75 or so members are at a loss. Paul calls them "Sheeple" who will need "quite a bit of guidance"

In short, the above gives you a lot of data about what you will be doing, and who will be doing it!
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 02:39:43 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2010, 02:41:29 AM by Teddy »

Employment Requests.

Department Name - Employment Request (Volunteers)

DoFaW - 67 (5)
Shelter - 59 (3)
Exploration - 71 (7)
Resources - 6 (2) May need more in the future, needs to find resources first.
Defense - 4 (4) There has been no sign of animals or other people, the department is confidant they'll be fine with only the 4 of em, toughest guys around.

The below are mostly ministerial departments - IE they do not require a large number of "workers"
Labour - 1 (1)
Health - 1 (1)
CS - 1 (1)
Liaison - 1 (1) (you Tongue )
President - 1 (0)

The below are standing, sitting, thumb twittling, having chats, and/or picking snot out of their nose and looking at it.
Thumb Twittlers - 0 (75)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 07:57:59 AM »

My turn:

"Hello everyone. My name is Tyler and basically i want to second John's idea. That is all, thank you."
Would you like to run for President? Someone's gotta do it Tongue
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 10:25:59 AM »

I'll run
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »

Excellent. If no one else declares they want to play, and, want to run, you will be elected President when I wake up (with a faux race showing the results of some NPC's. You will win at least 60 votes)

If someone else wants to run, it will be a contest Smiley
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »

If no one else declares candidacy, I vote for Tyler for President.

In my official capacity as Liaison Secretary, I step in to mediate the conflict between DoFaW, Shelter, and Exploration. I ask Ralph, Ricky, and Jenny about their specific grievances, and I also consult Paul, since I am assuming that the major problem is the demand for labo(u)r.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 11:41:48 AM »

The basis of the argument is which should come first, food, shelter, or exploring to find said.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:27 PM »

I state my view that prioritization of jobs should be a Presidential decision, and that Paul is responsible for the actual allocation. I offer my opinion (and I stress that is only an opinion) that exploration should take precedence, at least until we find food, water, and resources. After the Presidential election, I recommend this course of action to the President.

I also encourage Ralph and Ricky to follow Chris' example and work with Jenny in order to find food, water, and shelter.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »

I state my view that prioritization of jobs should be a Presidential decision, and that Paul is responsible for the actual allocation. I offer my opinion (and I stress that is only an opinion) that exploration should take precedence, at least until we find food, water, and resources. After the Presidential election, I recommend this course of action to the President.

I also encourage Ralph and Ricky to follow Chris' example and work with Jenny in order to find food, water, and shelter.

I agree,  we must figure out what is on the Island before we can use the island to help us, either by work,food, etc.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »

Heading to bed.

Also remember, that we are not even at sunset on the first day just yet.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 01:28:53 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2010, 01:31:57 AM by Teddy »

Election Results:

Tyler - 63
Jenny - 17
Write In: Vazdul - 7
Write In: Paul - 5
Harry - 2
Ralph - 2
Chris - 1
Kelly - 1
Tanya - 1
Abstain - 1

It appears to be an hour before sunset.

As the results were announced, suddenly, the "outhouse" door slid open, and the speaker announced "TYLER. YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED LEADER. APPROACH US TO COLLECT YOUR ITEMS"
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »

Also, by now, people have began to use terms.

After watching the sun, it's been decided the beach is facing south.

The "outhouse" has become known as the "Robot/Robotic Box" or "The Box"
The group is known to many as "The Tribe" though other members of the group despise that name.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 01:57:10 AM »

there is always room! Would you like a cabinet position? (The game would be boring for you if you say no Tongue )
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 02:03:16 AM »

I can be counted among those who despise the name "The Tribe." I prefer to think of us as a "community."

"Tyler, if the robots are willing to talk to you, I suggest you ask them a few questions, such as where we are and why we are here. They might also know something about where food, water, and other resources might be found."
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 11:39:43 AM »

...You there Mr.President? Waiting to see what you do about the door being open Tongue
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »

*awaits the President's return*
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »

I'm gonna have to get this timing thing down. Most of my interactions will be with the President, so I'll have to sync up my online time with his.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

I'm gonna have to get this timing thing down. Most of my interactions will be with the President, so I'll have to sync up my online time with his.

From what I gather, his online time is synced up with your sleep time.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »

I am here, i am ready to talk to the robots if they are ready
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »

In the mean time, I'll take this opportunity to get to know my constituents a little better.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »

I am going to enter the door since i guess they are ready to talk
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 03:30:11 AM »

You find on the table a large paper bag, inside, a number of pill blister-packs, with names on the back. The robots speak

"THESE ARE THE MEDICATIONS MEMBERS OF YOUR COMMUNITY WILL REQUIRE FOR THE NEXT 28 DAYS. YOU WILL GET MORE IN 28 DAYS.

YOU MAY APPROACH US AND ASK US FOR ONE THING EACH DAY. A RESOURCE, ITEMS, OR INFORMATION. WE WILL DECIDE WHAT QUANTITY OF THE ABOVE YOU WILL RECEIVE. YOU MAY ASK US FOR ONE THING TODAY."

Also, I need to ask what times you are most often online so I can better sync up online time with yours.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies