The Island (Election and Governing Game)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:18:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Island (Election and Governing Game)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: The Island (Election and Governing Game)  (Read 13852 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »

Bedtime.

When I wake/get to work, I will compile a list of box requests from the CS

Also, what would you like to ask for from the box today
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »

Can we have an approximate scale for the map? About how far is it from the stage to the lake? How about from the coast to the "other island?" From the point farthest west that we've explored to the point farthest east that we've explored? It looks as though so far we have a beach, a coastal plain, a forest, and a large area of rocky hills. Is that accurate?

"I would like to propose that our settlement be built on the coastal plain along the river. I agree that the Department of Exploration should be slimmed down to provide more employees for DoFaW, Shelter, and Resources. I also agree with Exploration's proposal to explore the mountain."
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »

Alright, a settlement will be built by the river.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »

Alright, a settlement will be built by the river.
Your ministers suggest waiting for tomorrow to see the whole island first. What is your Box request?

Can we have an approximate scale for the map? About how far is it from the stage to the lake? How about from the coast to the "other island?" From the point farthest west that we've explored to the point farthest east that we've explored? It looks as though so far we have a beach, a coastal plain, a forest, and a large area of rocky hills. Is that accurate?

I have a scale map done up, but it only going to be viewable to you if you guys explore the mountain top Tongue

"I would like to propose that our settlement be built on the coastal plain along the river. I agree that the Department of Exploration should be slimmed down to provide more employees for DoFaW, Shelter, and Resources. I also agree with Exploration's proposal to explore the mountain."

As above (recommend waiting until you see the full map)

As well, people have begun to notice the "stage" seems to be sinking. When they arrived it had 5 steps, 4 when they set out, 3 when they returned, and now it only has 2, and is nearly level with the ground!
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »

I ask the defender who guarded the box about the circumstances surrounding the sinking of the stage.

"Mr. President, I recommend for your Box request to be one that would help the Shelter Department make some progress toward building shelters. I believe that that is currently our most pressing need."

I also announce that I will be convening a meeting of the Cabinet at sunset the day after tomorrow, in the area of the stage (if it still exists by then). I request that all Cabinet Ministers attend. The purpose of the meeting will be to keep each other abreast of the progress made in each department, and to draft a set of recommendations which I will then present to the President on the Cabinet's behalf.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2010, 09:08:59 PM »

My box request is for help with finding supplies to make shelters that are stable for living conditions and can survive the weather.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2010, 09:38:34 PM »

My box request is for help with finding supplies to make shelters that are stable for living conditions and can survive the weather.

The box gives you a giant spool of twine.

I ask the defender who guarded the box about the circumstances surrounding the sinking of the stage.

Harry says he thought it was just his "Maginashin actin up" Regardless, the stage may vanish by sunrise.

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »

Fast Forward!

Sunrise.
The stage is nowhere to be seen. The Box is sitting in grass. It appears undamaged. Noted at the bottom, is a square "bar" around the entire bottom of the Box. Harry and his pals try to lift it, and after some help, are able to conclude that if 20-30 community members wanted to, they could lift and carry the box to a new location.

Shelter is using the twine to build temporary shelters and are finally successful. They, however, suggest finding a more permanent location for a settlement.

Explorers return from the Mountain. They report that it is a Volcano! They also have drawn a map of the Island, and it is huge!!

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2010, 09:54:40 PM »

After reports that the current location may be within a lava flow plane, there are strong suggestions to move. To where, however, is not settled.

Exploration wants a central location along the southern coast. They believe from here they can best explore the various areas of the Island, and as well, best sail to other islands.

Defence wants a location that is on a small bay, saying it would be easiest to defend from attacks from the sea.

Resources wants a northerly location along the west coast. They have suspicions from sightings of "glimmering" that the mountains here may contain ores that can be mined.

Shelter and DoFaW both want locations in the lee of the volcano and mountain. Here rainfall and stormy winds should be reduced but not eliminated. DoFaW prefers a shore location where fishing can occur, but Shelter prefers a location where the river forks at a ford.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2010, 10:05:51 PM »

Not good. Before weighing in with my opinion, I ask for an estimate as to how long it would take to move ourselves, the resources we have collected so far, and the Box to each of the proposed locations.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2010, 10:23:57 PM »

I think either the shelter or DoFaW's ideas are the best, i will leave the decision up to everyone to make but it is quite clear we need to move before the Volcano erupts.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »

I'd like to recognise that from a health perspective, we need ready access to clean, fresh water that doesn't easily become brackish, so an inland location would be preferable. That said, it must be close to food sources including the sea. If a site can be found along the stretch between the DoFaW and Shelter sites, that is easily defended, I would support such a site wholeheartedly. The locations suggested by Exploration and Resources are both irresponsible and any of the other suggestions would have my support against either of these proposals.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2010, 10:40:23 PM »

I think that Shelter's proposal is the best.  It is a central location that is not too far from various resources. At the same time, however, it is quite far away from our current location. The people are probably quite tired and may be unwilling to move a long distance, especially considering that we would want to bring our current supplies (not to mention the Box) along as well. It may be in our best interests to grit our teeth and find a suitable (if not ideal) location that is relatively close by.

How long would our current supplies of food and water last?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »

How long would our current supplies of food and water last?
There is enough of both lying around that people can pick and go. So, at this time, forever.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »

I ask again for an estimate of how long it would take (if we take everything, including the Box) to move to the proposed sites (I'm most interested in the site proposed by Shelter).
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »

I'd say we should come up with a schedule for moving once we find the site
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2010, 11:13:43 PM »

I'd say we should come up with a schedule for moving once we find the site

I agree with that course of action, Mr. President.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2010, 11:39:10 PM »

It would take a full day to make the move to either proposed site.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »

"I think that we are up to the task, and I officially recommend that we move to the site suggested by the Department of Shelter."
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2010, 11:55:53 PM »

"I think that we are up to the task, and I officially recommend that we move to the site suggested by the Department of Shelter."

I agree with ir, but the site should be moved halfway between the two. If not we can go with the Shelter's plan
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2010, 12:16:46 AM »

The move has begun

(fast forward)

Advance scouts report the river is very deep, and the location between the two is on a flat plain and is not ideal for settlement. The river fork is dotted with trees, and is at a height of land over areas to the south and west.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »

Doesn't Tyler get a box request for the travel day?

If the area between the two proposed sites is unsuitable, then I prefer the river fork to the coastal area. I believe that the fork is close enough to the sea so that fishing and exploration to other islands will be possible in the future. I think the inland site is superior due to its closer location to potential resources, namely forests and rocky hills. I also think that being on higher ground, the river fork is suitable from a defense perspective. The rivers can also be used as a natural barrier.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2010, 12:37:52 AM »

He does, its not sunset yet. And the community has started to set up at the fork, but is able to change if the President vetos it.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2010, 12:52:01 AM »

I agree with ir, but the site should be moved halfway between the two. If not we can go with the Shelter's plan

Seeing as he is offline, I will move on with this in mind.

As you arrive, advance scouts report that 50 people are found lying on the rock! Upon waking them, you find that they, like you a few days ago, have no clue how they ended up where they are. They are absorbed into the existing community.

The box is set down at the centre of the fork. A request may be made.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2010, 12:55:36 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length