Who will be the next Governor of Minnesota? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:05:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will be the next Governor of Minnesota? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will be the next Governor of Minnesota?
Tom Emmer

Margaret Anderson-Kelliher

Mark Dayton

Matt Entenza

Tom Horner

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Who will be the next Governor of Minnesota?  (Read 8583 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: July 05, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »
« edited: July 05, 2010, 08:57:09 PM by Torie »

I am not sure a class warfare ad works that well these days at the moment, even in Minnesota, and that is what these ads are about, including the pic of the French colonial mansion - a rarity in understated Minnesota (yes, that is the cultural norm up there; it ain't Hollywood), that must have taken a bit of work to find.

Plus, the tax loopholes favoring the rich, and what taxes the rich should be paying, are not specified, which I think leaves the ad as more of a class warfare kind of ad as its leitmotif, rather than something that is policy specific, that voters can sink their teeth into, one way or the other. Maybe I am way off base here, but outside maybe parts of the Iron Range, I find these ads singularly ineffective myself.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:38:30 PM »

Emmer's latest gaffe involves servers in the hospitality industry.  He came out saying he would propose that servers be paid the federally mandated minimum of $2.13/hour rather than the current state minimum wage of $6.15 (or $7.25 for bigger restaurant chains/restaurants that also operate across state lines).

He claimed that many servers make over $100,000/year and that that was a good reason to cut their pay.. as to help restaurants "prosper" and hire more people.  Because we all know that the first thing a business owner does when his labor costs have been cut but he doesn't have any increased demand is to go out and randomly hire more people! Roll Eyes

Well, now he's had to retract that after it was pointed out that waiters and waitresses are one of the lowest paid professions in the state alongside food preparation.

So, now he's putting on a big charade:  He's having a townhall meeting with servers from the hospitality industry next week.  Sounds nice right?

Except it's at a restaurant owned by the state chair of the MN GOP and it's invite only.  As seems to be the case with most Republican functions... we don't want the riff raff getting in and dirtying things up!

It always amazes me how Republican "spies" can show up at Democratic events and pretty much be welcomed and even included in the festivities.. but if a Democrat goes to a Republican event and is spotted.. you're immediately told to leave.

Such an inclusive big tent party! 

Ah, candidates everywhere in both parties are avoiding events, where hecklers and others who may create a "problem," like the plague. Access control is now job one. Several commentators have noted this, in articles I think I read on Politico. Candidates know that they are just a cell phone video away from something being put up on Youtube that they don't want on Youtube.

So that is "my fair and balanced" thought for the day. Suck it up Snow!  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies