Are political principles inherently good? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:39:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are political principles inherently good? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are political principles inherently good?  (Read 2105 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »

No, because nothing is inherently good. Things are only good within a certain paradigm. It just so happens that we all accept certain ideas (that human rights is a good idea, for example) because it is clearly to our advantage to do so.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:45:09 PM »

No, because nothing is inherently good. Things are only good within a certain paradigm. It just so happens that we all accept certain ideas (that human rights is a good idea, for example) because it is clearly to our advantage to do so.

How are things within a certain paradigm. In any event I will conclude this lesson my stating "mankind routinely attach's qaulitys to abstract princples, and sometimes even objects, and thus i must ask what is the meaning of a flower?" Finally for further reading I suggest someone read up on the naturalistic fallacy, moral skeptcism, and G.E moore.

Paradigms are essentially the sets of principles held in high regard by certain ideological groups. You have the libertarian paradigm, the nationalist paradigm, &c. However, there are certain principles that are held as good by most (if not all) groups, due to their universal appeal. For example, everybody holds that murder is bad, principally because people would like to not be murdered.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 01:57:11 PM »

But to say it depends misses the point, which is to question whether it ever makes sense for a political principle to be held as all-overriding. I would suggest looking at it as "can political principles be inherently good?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies