Are political principles inherently good? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:45:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are political principles inherently good? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are political principles inherently good?  (Read 2119 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »

Some political principles are, Human Rights above all.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:39:23 AM »

What puts human rights above other political principles such as non-interventionism? From my view point such things as NI, and I are simply means that wish to bring about an indirect end. Why should human rights be respected?

You are seriously asking that ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »

What puts human rights above other political principles such as non-interventionism? From my view point such things as NI, and I are simply means that wish to bring about an indirect end. Why should human rights be respected?

You are seriously asking that ?

yes? What is wrong with asking a simple question? I'd rather hear someone's elses reasons than my own.

Well, if you are interested in a so evident question...
The best, and actually the only way to set universal principles to ensure a fair society is using Rawls' method : you have to immagine what would people agree about, if they didn't know anything about their position in such societies, nor are infuentiated by cultural principles. Such people would certainly reach a consesus leading to concilitae individual freedom with the guarantee that the stronger won't oppress the weaker. Human rights provide this. When I say human rights, I mean their broad conception : the original HRs (freedom of expression, equality before the law, security, property, protection against arbitrary decisions, democracy...) but also the new social rights that have been added since 1948 (right to work, to health, social justice...). these principles are fair because they are good independently to particular cases : because someone who doesn't know if he is privileged or not would accept them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies