Are political principles inherently good? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:39:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are political principles inherently good? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are political principles inherently good?  (Read 2109 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 18, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »

It depends on how grounded you are in your principles. I wouldn't compare your example to the Bible only because with my knowledge of the Bible, it's very open to interpretation. Overall I would say standing on principles is good because it shows conviction and that you are not willing to go with the flow. However it can also show closed mindedness. I can relate to your interventionist principles because I am close to always being against the government getting in the way of the free market. If someone conceded on that principle then where do they draw the line? I tend to stick to principles because going against them can set precedent, but it normally comes down to the situation at hand.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

It's not really that complicated just do what's right for the situation at hand.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 05:54:57 PM »

It's not really that complicated just do what's right for the situation at hand.

one would think so, but too often someone will say that the oppose something merely because of principle.

There's nothing wrong with that either. Principles are good to stand by. They obviously have reason for their principles.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

one would think so, but too often someone will say that the oppose something merely because of principle.

There's nothing wrong with that either. Principles are good to stand by. They obviously have reason for their principles.

obviously they have a reason for their principles, but why have any at all if they have no inheret quality unless we attach meaning to them?

For most people their principles are believed for good and genuine reasons.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:52 PM »

yes it really does depend.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies