Historical urban/rural population for U.S. states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:05:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Historical urban/rural population for U.S. states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Historical urban/rural population for U.S. states  (Read 6447 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: June 19, 2010, 08:54:55 PM »

I would think that urbanization would have been very high in the 70s and 80s as all the rural born baby boomers graduated high school and moved to "The Cities".  But the boomers also tended to move to areas that may have been considered rural during that time, but with rapid growth, were then reclassified as urban areas in the 1990s.

That's so weird, the opposite could be said in New Jersey.  All the city-born boomers were moving away, especially in the '70s and '80s.

NJ's growth patterns were also heavily influenced by the rise and fall of exclusionary zoning from the 1940s to the 1980s.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »

Still, it's misleading.  71% of Minnesotans are not urban residents.  25% are truly urban residents while the other 45% are suburban residents.

The definition of urban in an urban vs. rural comparison is urban areas+suburban areas.

Which makes the data pretty much useless after 1940 because the main shifts in American society have been between urban and suburban areas since then.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:06:54 AM »

Yes, Maine has gotten more rural every decade since 1950. Surprising, since ME-1 is growing faster than ME-2.

The fast-growing parts of ME-1 are the tourist areas in the Lake District and South Shore, which are classed as rural.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies